Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, June 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
On a side note.

Bigsur,
Please update your user cp with the following,

Phone number.
Gryphon serial number.
Hex calibration code.

Nobody else will see this information except PHP and super moderators.

Thank-you
Done.
Old Thu, June 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
It's fine to bring it up here, but the guys at f150online might have some ideas too.

It COULD be that your Torque Converter is locking too soon or is locked as you do the 1-2 upshift. This is one of the things you can monitor on the Gryphon and CS/CTS platforms. If you see a little "padlock" symbol next to the "Commanded" gear number, the TC is locked. That would tend to make the shift feel harder. The TC lock point is governed by both speed and power demand, so if the power demand is low, it may be locking prematurely.

I've felt what you describe at times pulling up a "mild" hill with a trailer and the TC locks in 3rd. Then, when it upshifts to 4th, it does so without unlocking and the shift is quite "harsh". I've also felt something like this at times when at a lower speed where I've come off the gas and then I step down on the pedal again, but not too hard - it feels like the transmission abruptly drops into a lower gear and there's a hard "clunk" and "lurch".

In Custom Options, you can delay the TC locking for any of the gears, by ADDING to the "zero" value that you'll see there. You can change it +/-2 in 1st, +/-3 in 2nd, +/-5 in 3rd and +/-10 in 4th I think. If you put in negative values, it causes the TC to lock sooner and stay locked longer as speed decreases. You can also adjust the part throttle up/downshifts the same way.

You might try playing with those settings. I've cranked my TC lock/unlock and part throttle up/downshift as far negative as they'll go on my non-towing tune, because I want the engine at the lowest possible RPM for cruising. The WOT power is still there though.

This is an example of what I was talking about when I said to drive it a while to see if there's anything you DON'T like. If you were to decrease your upshift/downshift 1-2 settings and increase the TC lock/unlock settings for 1st and possibly 2nd gear, it might eliminate what you are feeling.

- Jack
Jack, I wanted to put this issue back in front at the right post so I have one consistent thread to refer to when I plan to adjust my settings.

SO, to clarify...I understand that delaying the TC locking in 1st or 2nd may help by adding to the zero. In the last sentence of your post, exactly which setting would I play with to "decrease your upshift/downshift 1-2 settings"? I'm not sure I'm clear on this change, i.e. what I'm changing and to what capacity. Thanks for clarifying if you don't mind.

Also, what display should I be viewing to monitor the TC? I'm heading out a little later to start playing around with this. Want to make sure I'm prepared and know what the heck I'm doing. Much appreciated.
Old Thu, June 24th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Scientist

And just to add one more note to this, I've also noticed that the truck seems to be doing this more when it's hot and I've been running it for awhile. Yesterday, it was doing it repeatedly after climbing some hills and after a 180 mile drive. I've let the truck sit overnight and just took it for a drive. Not doing it now. What is a typical transmission coolant temp after running for awhile? I was in the 170's last night driving up here.
Old Thu, June 24th, 2010, 09:01 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

What have been your ambient temps?>>Or what's the weather like in the area you've been driving in?

For example the last few times the garage queen has been out, its been mid 70s to lower 80s. Driving her at approximately 80 mph with varying elevation of 500ft. The tft average was 154 over a 60 mile trip.
My CHT was 208-210.

The comm gear pid is the one to view for tc lockup.
It will show what gear your tranny is using and a paddlelock as a symbol for the torque convertor lockup.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, June 25th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Scientist

Quote:
What have been your ambient temps?>>Or what's the weather like in the area you've been driving in?

For example the last few times the garage queen has been out, its been mid 70s to lower 80s. Driving her at approximately 80 mph with varying elevation of 500ft. The tft average was 154 over a 60 mile trip.
My CHT was 208-210.

The comm gear pid is the one to view for tc lockup.
It will show what gear your tranny is using and a paddlelock as a symbol for the torque convertor lockup.
THanks 88!!! Ambient temps where I'm at have been in the 90's to low 100s this past week. My TFT is usually around 156 but will increase to 175+ at times. If my assumption is correct....the more I think about it....the shifting seems to be an issue when the truck is really hot ONLY. I'm realizing that its amost never repeatable when the truck has been sitting. Might take some more research.
Old Fri, June 25th, 2010, 08:38 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I really don't know the overall condition or maintenance of your truck to speculate anymore.
And......
I never recorded the temps last year when I was driving in 100+ weather.

Maybe its time for a pan drop and change the filter and add some new fluid?

Some others have done a flush. But don't get the flush done with the chemical additives.

Just some thoughts.

Here's generic tables I found on fluid temps vs. break down of fluid over miles driven.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Fri, June 25th, 2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old Fri, June 25th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Scientist

Quote:
I really don't know the overall condition or maintenance of your truck to speculate anymore.
And......
I never recorded the temps last year when I was driving in 100+ weather.

Maybe its time for a pan drop and change the filter and add some new fluid?

Some others have done a flush. But don't get the flush done with the chemical additives.

Just some thoughts.

Here's generic tables I found on fluid temps vs. break down of fluid over miles driven.

Thanks again. I've had other recommendations for a flush, so I think I'm getting that done regardless. Appreciate the charts man...good reference to have.
Old Sat, June 26th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Scientist

And as a follow up, for those who are following this.....I placed the "comm gear" in the display to monitor the TC. It is only locking when in O/D...that's it. Not sure if that's good or not.
Old Mon, June 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It's fairly normal to see the lock only in O/D, BigSur (sorry I'm late getting back to you but we took the trailer off camping up on Mt Graham and there's no internet, or anything else, including potable water, where we were). There IS a beautiful mountain stream though.

If you lock out the O/D, I'm sure you'll see the TC lock up in third. When I'm pulling my trailer up the mountain, I usually put the transmission into 2nd gear, to keep it from shifting so much. The TC will lock up in 2nd too, when the loading is right.

The shifts I was talking about are the "Part Throttle 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 upsift/downshifts". They're in the custom options menu, I think next to the TC lock/unlock choice. These only effect when shifting occurs in "normal driving", when you accelerate like average traffic in town. The WOT shifting behavior is completely separate from this.

Part throttle shifting is governed by speed and by throttle position. If you increase the throttle, up and down shifting occurs at higher speeds. With a positive adjustment, up and down shifting would occur at an even higher speed at a given throttle position.

- Jack
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
It's fairly normal to see the lock only in O/D, BigSur (sorry I'm late getting back to you but we took the trailer off camping up on Mt Graham and there's no internet, or anything else, including potable water, where we were). There IS a beautiful mountain stream though.

If you lock out the O/D, I'm sure you'll see the TC lock up in third. When I'm pulling my trailer up the mountain, I usually put the transmission into 2nd gear, to keep it from shifting so much. The TC will lock up in 2nd too, when the loading is right.

The shifts I was talking about are the "Part Throttle 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 upsift/downshifts". They're in the custom options menu, I think next to the TC lock/unlock choice. These only effect when shifting occurs in "normal driving", when you accelerate like average traffic in town. The WOT shifting behavior is completely separate from this.

Part throttle shifting is governed by speed and by throttle position. If you increase the throttle, up and down shifting occurs at higher speeds. With a positive adjustment, up and down shifting would occur at an even higher speed at a given throttle position.

- Jack
Thanks for clarifying. I might give that a try. The truck has only done this once since my May camping trip, and that was over this past weekend when starting up a hill. I went a spoke with my mechanic yesterday (Ford specific), and he stated that I shouldn't have any worry of damaging anything and that it would be hard for them to diagnose the problem if it can't be repeated. With that said, I think I'm going to wait for my custom tune, load it, and see how it drives. I'll either need to make changes all the way around or hopefully just to the tow tune.

Hope you had a good time on your trip. Sounds fun.