Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, September 26th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleashedford View Post
well tomorrow i am going to switch it back to stock for a week then switch it back and see what happens, maybe it might fix it? idk
Yeah, give that a shot and we'll go from there.
Old Sun, September 26th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Big Burger

Unleashedford is on a distinguished road

ill keep this thread posted day by day and see if it gets better on stock or not

hopefully i figure this thing out because my throttle response is way to slow
Old Mon, September 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
i have done that like 5 times already and it doesnt seem to help, would i have to turn the gryphon back to stock then do this or?
I think that MAY be the answer. When we apply an "advanced tune", the "drive cycle" code is erased. Now, no one has actually said this, but my feeble little brain tells me that possibly this "kills" the "adaptive learning" strategy built in to our PCMs. After all, we would not want our trucks to start rejecting the new tune's "improvements" in favor of going back to Ford's factory settings. So, set the tune to stock, disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so and then reconnect. I'd drive it in stock for a couple of days after that before reloading the tune.

- Jack
Old Mon, September 27th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Big Burger

ok so today i returned it back to stock and drove it for 40 miles, HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!

before on the freeway when i was crusing at about 80 mpg my rpm was at 2000 rpm and when i cruised at that speed i heard my intake bog really loud so i had to let go of the gas pedal then speed back up

now when i am crusing at about 70mph my rpm is at 2000 rpm and my intake doesnt bog at all!!

and also before when i put it into park my trucks idle went extremly low or just went low and turned off on it own.....

when it is in stock it runs a lot better and seems better in a general but when its in stock it has no way near the same amount of power as it did in 91 custom tune
Old Mon, September 27th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

I wonder what could have changed since you initially installed the Gryphon and custom tunes to cause this problem to surface all of a sudden.

How long have you had the custom tunes? How many miles have you driven on the custom tunes?

Have you made any other modifications since you installed the tunes? Performed any maintenance?

Have you changed any of the settings in the Custom Options?

Just tryin' to get some ideas flowing...

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Mon, September 27th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Big Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
I wonder what could have changed since you initially installed the Gryphon and custom tunes to cause this problem to surface all of a sudden.

How long have you had the custom tunes? How many miles have you driven on the custom tunes?

Have you made any other modifications since you installed the tunes? Performed any maintenance?

Have you changed any of the settings in the Custom Options?

Just tryin' to get some ideas flowing...
i have had these issues since i bought it on 2/17/2010

its just i thought i was normal because i have never driven another f150, but i went to my trucks house and he had the same truck as mine with a svt or sct something like that programmer with a custom tune and his truck ran awesome

and i have about 5000miles on it the most i cant remember the exact maybe 3500

and i havent messed with any of the custom tunes and the only thing i changed on my truck is i went from a 3in spacer to a 6in suspension lift
Old Mon, September 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

If you're showing 2000 rpm now at 70 mph, and with the tune you were showing the same rpm (2000) at 80 mph, your Tire Size (TS) is probably set too high in the tuned state, or, you have non-OEM tires on the truck and since you are runnig the "stock" tune now, your PCM "thinks" your tires are smaller than they actually are. So, with your lift, did you install bigger feet?

If so, your engine has to work harder than before to maintain that 2000 RPM in 4th gear with the Torque Converter locked. That will be noticed as an increase in engine sound.

And, since you have a 2004 truck, you may really need to clean the throttle body (and possibly the MAF sensor). Your symptoms sound like that could be the case and the problem is aggravated by custom tunes. I'd certainly pull the air cleaner housing and have a look at the throttle body. If if looks "gunky", clean it. Bill writes about this problem here: Power Hungry Performance - Frequently Asked Questions It's the first FAQ after "FAQs about Everything Else".

- Jack
Old Tue, September 28th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Big Burger

my truck runs 35in tires now, and i dont want to pull the throttle body apart since its electronic i dont want to mess with it
Old Tue, September 28th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

It's not that hard to check. All you have to do is undo one hose clamp enough to slide the black intake off of the silver throttle body. Then just look at the throttle body to see if it needs to be cleaned.
Old Tue, September 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
my truck runs 35in tires now, and i dont want to pull the throttle body apart since its electronic i dont want to mess with it
The TB is not electronic! It is a mechanical device that is actuated by an electric "positioner". If the TB and the MAF sensor are not clean, then a custom tune will not work right. Cleaning these two things is simply part of routine maintenance. If you don't feel competent to do it, take your truck to a dealer!

And, those big, 35 inch feet explain the difference in RPM between a tune and the stock setting (where the truck thinks you have OEM tires).

- Jack