Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Nathan, please feel free to give us a shout if you're still having any problems.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

twintips_17 is on a distinguished road

Im going to try a few more things tonight with syncing hte unit and also programming my dads truck. You guys are to busy to waste your time if i can figure it out. Thanks.

SUPERcrew
AF1, EDGE, and EFANS with Magnaflow Exhast SISO.
Expy Console and Rear Seat Swap! Eagle 16's with 285-75/16 ST's
Gryphon Tuner soon to have custom tunes by PHP!
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Our job is to help you, Silly.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

I have narrowed it down to human error. LOL

I just did a "custom" canned towing tune and it wouldn't run. It would start.... Rev up and die..... I messed with the timing a bit due to the fact that I am running 91 octane. One version 4.xx.xx you could move it in .5 increments. So I went to move it and it was moving in .25 increments.....

So I was like maybe it’s a more precise way.... I went to go move it the normal 2.5 I have been doing for 3 years and it would only go as high as 2.00.

So I decided to only bump it .5 and see what happens.... And look what I got. LOL

The manual still states the same principle rule for timing adjustment. In fact the manual looks like its a bit out dated to the new version 13...

So any help with the timing adjustment?

SUPERcrew
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post
I have narrowed it down to human error. LOL

I just did a "custom" canned towing tune and it wouldn't run. It would start.... Rev up and die..... I messed with the timing a bit due to the fact that I am running 91 octane. One version 4.xx.xx you could move it in .5 increments. So I went to move it and it was moving in .25 increments.....

So I was like maybe it’s a more precise way.... I went to go move it the normal 2.5 I have been doing for 3 years and it would only go as high as 2.00.

So I decided to only bump it .5 and see what happens.... And look what I got. LOL

The manual still states the same principle rule for timing adjustment. In fact the manual looks like its a bit out dated to the new version 13...

So any help with the timing adjustment?
So, you're running 91 octane gas in an 87 octane tune? Using the manual guidance, you should advance the timing +2 degrees, not 2.5. (The manual, by the way is a little weak on math right here).

If you get a custom towing tune, make sure Bill knows you're using 91 octane gas. He'll build in the timing advance for you and tweak some other things too.

- Jack
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
So, you're running 91 octane gas in an 87 octane tune? Using the manual guidance, you should advance the timing +2 degrees, not 2.5. (The manual, by the way is a little weak on math right here).

If you get a custom towing tune, make sure Bill knows you're using 91 octane gas. He'll build in the timing advance for you and tweak some other things too.

- Jack
I did get a custom tow tune at 91. In the past i have been able to puch teh timeing to 2.5 without problems. Either way the point is that the new grypon will only advance it 2.0 in .25 incerments.

So does it advance the same as the manual states? And i only advanced it .5 up and so that would say i was running 88 octane acording to the manual. 91 should more then run on that with no problems?

Im so confused. I had my favorite presets in my ver 4.xx.xx and now they dont go the same into this one. Any custom tune ends up jinxing me even if i jsut mess with tire size

That should have no effect on how the engine runs.... Just shift points right?

SUPERcrew
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post
I did get a custom tow tune at 91. In the past i have been able to puch teh timeing to 2.5 without problems. Either way the point is that the new grypon will only advance it 2.0 in .25 incerments.

So does it advance the same as the manual states? And i only advanced it .5 up and so that would say i was running 88 octane acording to the manual. 91 should more then run on that with no problems?

Im so confused. I had my favorite presets in my ver 4.xx.xx and now they dont go the same into this one. Any custom tune ends up jinxing me even if i jsut mess with tire size

That should have no effect on how the engine runs.... Just shift points right?
Time out! You have a custom 91 octane tow tune? The timing's already advanced! If you were bumping it on top of that, you were way over advanced! If, you've advanced it 0.5 now, you've effectively set your truck up for 92 octane gas. It MAY work ok, but you run the risk of detonation under load.

And, if you're using presets from a previous version, I'd say you're asking for trouble.

Bottom line here - If Bill's given you a custom tune, don't try to out think him unless you know more about tuning than he does!

- Jack
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Time out! You have a custom 91 octane tow tune? The timing's already advanced! If you were bumping it on top of that, you were way over advanced! If, you've advanced it 0.5 now, you've effectively set your truck up for 92 octane gas. It MAY work ok, but you run the risk of detonation under load.

And, if you're using presets from a previous version, I'd say you're asking for trouble.

Bottom line here - If Bill's given you a custom tune, don't try to out think him unless you know more about tuning than he does!

- Jack
Slow down sparky I ordered one from bill. Im still two months out!!!

I was just stating to your above statement, to tell bill if i order one......

I am working stricktly with "canned" tunes... So i should have been fine. I say again it would have been 88 octane.

As far as using presets from a previous version i am running into trouble.I am learning that and I am having to find new ones. But anything i do results in rough running. Like i said i adjusted the tire size and got a bobbing idle.... Wierd????
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

As far as I know, it should still have a +/- 5º timing adjustment. So does the problem only occur if you change the timing?

If you get a second, try loading the offending custom options and then remove the unit and plug the unit into your USB port. Use Pegasus to read the critical files (under the Utilities Menu). Send me the "Stock" and "Custom" files and I can see if something is getting chewed up in the custom process.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

QUOTE=Power Hungry;4570]As far as I know, it should still have a +/- 5º timing adjustment. So does the problem only occur if you change the timing?

If you get a second, try loading the offending custom options and then remove the unit and plug the unit into your USB port. Use Pegasus to read the critical files (under the Utilities Menu). Send me the "Stock" and "Custom" files and I can see if something is getting chewed up in the custom process.

Take care.[/QUOTE]

It happens to any tune i try and customize. I will try it in about an hour and i will do that if i can get it to sync with pegasus... Still havn't figured that one out.

But the timing adjusts in .25 incerments. I will go try it again.

SUPERcrew