Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, March 6th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Whopper

austinrhea is on a distinguished road

Addison got back in town and we installed the programmer with the canned tunes--- then we tweeked the 87 one, this is FUN!! I can't wait to get the three custom tunes I'll probably have several projects that require using the truck.
Old Sun, March 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Whopper Junior

Sml175 is on a distinguished road
Default Bill, I have not purchased one yet and would like to know:

Why should I buy the Gryphon over the edge?
Why are these 2 better than others?
Why can't you make a Pod in tan?

I tow a 20' bass boat long distances and also need to gain some MPG. I am not a young one so the speed and off the line performance need not be there. Just the basics.
Thanks
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 10:21 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm not Bill of course, but since they're "unreachable" for a bit, I can try to answer some of your questions.

I'm not a "young one" either (68 in January) so, speed off the red light is not my bag. I tow a travel trailer (about 3600#) and often find myself on 2-lane roads. My truck is essentially stock (in terms of "performance" mods) but I did make the CAI for it.

So, why do I think a Gryphon is the best thing I've done for my truck?

First, passing performance. I'd like to keep moving at 65mph when towing. On the 2-lane roads, I find myself behind folks that like to go slower, or who don't know how to keep their speed constant. The stock f150 has a horrible throttle lag when you step on the gas and a soft, squishy shift feel that just seems to take forever. With the Gryphon, the downshift is almost immediate and the engine revs up to the optimum RPM for power before upshifting, then, it's quick and crisp. The result is, I get around someone I'm passing much quicker, which feels safer to me.

Nest, fuel economy. Before I got the Gryphon, I was getting in the mid-10 mpg range when towing. Now, I get around 12.5-12.7 while towing. I actually started with an Edge, which improved the economy some, and when I had it converted to a Gryphon, the economy improved another 0.7 mpg.

You can probably get the same results using another programmer, such as an XCal, but I also want the ability to monitor things like my transmission fluid temp and battery voltage when towing. I also want to know immediately if there are any DTC's being thrown, and, I appreciate the "alarm" feature of the Gryphon that tells me when any number of a group of preset limits is exceeded. You don't have this capability with an XCal.

Finally, as I said in another post, PHP gets the pod from Edge and the color is the color of the plastic. It matches the majority of the new f150s. If there was a demand, they'd probably make them in other colors. Failing that though, I imagine a company like paintscratch.com could mix up a spray can of paint that would be a near-perfect match (IF they had a part to match it with). It's also possible that Bill or Corey could find someone local to mix a matching paint (if they had a part for color matching purposes). Once the formula was determined, it would be simple to order a can of matching paint, and it's something Bill and Corey might even consider selling.

Bill and Corey's customer service and interest in us is unmatched.

So, hope these answers help you decide. I know I would NOT want to drive my truck without the Gryphon!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Double Whopper

Extreme Justice will become famous soon enough

Sml175,

Jack summed it up wonderfully. The reason I went with the Edge (now converted to Gryphon with Custom Tunes) was initially ONLY for the guages. I pull a #6600 lb travel trailer that I wanted to have a Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) Guage installed. Well when I priced out the TFT Gauge and install it was coming out to roughly the same price as the Edge. With the Edge I now have approx 35 "Gauges" to watch (4 at a time). Then when I heard about Bill/Corey and PHP on the F150online.com I contacted them and was impressed with how they spent the time talking to me and answering questions, either on the phone or through e-mail and at no time did I feel like they were pressuring me or that I didn't have there undivided attention. As for getting the Custom Tunes, I only based it on feedback from other members. I can now say too, with 100% honesty that they are well worth it. PHP wasn't around when I got my Edge, otherwise I would of bought the Gryphon initially.

Hope this helps.

P.S Bill/Corey, can I now start calling my updated Edge a Gryphon? or will it always be an updated Edge.
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

If you didn't already, read the About Us page on the website. you will see that Bill worked for Edge for a while too. Obviously when you work for a bigger company at some point you are limited it what you can do... lawyers, liability and all... Not sure if that was the case with Bill... maybe he will tell us. but when you do your own business you will have more freedom as well as more commitment to making sure the product is the best it can be....
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 07:11 PM
AAA Rib Steak

Chris74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sml175 View Post
Why should I buy the Gryphon over the edge?
Why are these 2 better than others?
Why can't you make a Pod in tan?

I tow a 20' bass boat long distances and also need to gain some MPG. I am not a young one so the speed and off the line performance need not be there. Just the basics.
Thanks
Jack said everything pretty well perfect

......I would just reiterate that the customer service from Bill and Corey blows Edge out of the water. Not to mention what this here forum can provide for you.
Mine was also an Edge Evo prior to being converted.
Once you talk to them you will know exactly what we mean
Custom tunes
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 08:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Extreme - once you get your Edge updated, it IS a Gryphon!!! (You're one of us)! That was a super testimonial, by the way, I'm sure Bill and Corey will agree when they see it.

And Chris - I'm not shortchanging you either! Thanks for supporting my favorite "Small Business" like this. For them, it doesn't seem like a business, does it. More like a passion? (Or a "calling")?

- Jack
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

As far as painting your pod. If your dash if factory color you can go get the matching touch up paint at the local dealership.

Ty

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Sml174

Listen to what Jack, Extreme, Chris, and Koko have to say. They have good knowledge behind every thought and analysis. You can't go wrong with Corey and Bill's customer service. You will spend $200 more on an compairible dash mount product that is programable. I am just getting my feet wet also with the gryphon.

Just my 2 cents for your thoughts.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopellimotorsports View Post
As far as painting your pod. If your dash if factory color you can go get the matching touch up paint at the local dealership.

Ty
Ty, you MAY be wrong here. I seem to remember somebody else trying to match a paint color at the dealership and not having any luck. If you think about it, there's really no real paint codes for the interior. (There IS a color scheme, but it seems to be a dead end when it comes to paint. Sort of like they don't expect anyone to paint anything in the inside.)

- Jack