Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, April 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

That is what I understood from other posts. Who knows maybe I misunderstood something in another post. I was just trying to caution you. Just was being cautious/reserved in my response. If the splash screen change worked without going back to stock great I learned something also.
Accidents do happen and wouldn't it be better if the truck was in stock?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, April 9th, 2009, 08:43 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Bill has mentioned in other posts that anytime you connect to pegasus that your truck should be programmed back to stock. I don't think there would be a problem with a splash screen but why take that "chance"?

Lars
Clearly, somewhere, I missed something! Axlehead, I didn't know you connected the Gryphon to Pegasus without returning your truck to stock first. Somewhere, my feeble old brain remembers that Bill has upgraded Pegasus so it won't work with your unit unless it HAS been returned to stock? But, in your case, it did, since you were able to update the splash screen.

Possibly, just possibly, updating the splash screen is not quite like updating firmware - in fact I'll bet that's the case. I'm betting your stock tune is still there and everything is fine, but -

In the future, return the Gryphon to stock before connecting it to your PC, and

DO NOT return the truck to stock for an emissions inspection! That's an almost certain way to get a failure unless you put your truck through enough drive cycles to get rid of codes the set back to stock creates. Just take your truck to the emissions station with your current tune set in. Everything I've read on this says the only people who fail are the ones who DO set their trucks back to stock before the test!

If it will make you any more comfortable, simply remove the Gryphon and tuck the OBDII cable up out of sight before you take it to emissions, so they won't have a reason to question you. That's what I plan to do.

- Jack
Old Fri, April 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Double Whopper

axlehead is on a distinguished road

Ok so as far as emissions go will the custom tune I have ordered be ok for the testing or not? That was why I wanted the stock tune, since California has strict requirements.
Old Fri, April 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlehead View Post
Ok so as far as emissions go will the custom tune I have ordered be ok for the testing or not? That was why I wanted the stock tune, since California has strict requirements.
EVERY post I have read that talked about having their trucks tested with a "tune" installed has said it passed with flying colors! My truck has not been required to be tested yet, but when it does, I WILL NOT put it back to stock before the test! (And, some of the posts, sorry, I don't know how many, were from people in California).

But, EVERY post I read that talked about setting their truck back to stock before the test, reported a "failure"! This is because of codes in other components that have to go through "drive cycles".

- Jack
Old Sun, April 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Double Whopper

so I sent my hex code via pm and email about a week ago, but havent got any response. I just want to make sure that the info was received. Its gonna be a long 4-8 weeks!
Old Sun, April 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

If you don't think they got it try again they had a busy weekend.

Another place to put the gryphon info is in this forums user cp. Go in there and put the hex code in and serial number in.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, April 12th, 2009, 11:19 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
If you don't think they got it try again they had a busy weekend.

Another place to put the gryphon info is in this forums user cp. Go in there and put the hex code in and serial number in.

Lars
Yes! DO put it there! Bill and Corey look there first for this information if they can't tell what it is from your "posts" or emails.

- Jack
Old Mon, April 13th, 2009, 05:10 AM
PHP Cheerleading Section

OneTomcat is on a distinguished road

If you already haven't, add your first and last name to your UserCP (it can only be seen by Bill or Corey). With the many new members this site is getting, it makes it difficult for Bill and Corey to connect the forum nickname to the person.

'05 F150 FX4 SCAB
K&N FIPK
Magellan Navigation System
Full Boar Performance SIDO exhaust
Gryphon PHP Programmer w/ custom tunes
4UCam wireless backup cam
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Double Whopper

does anyone know if it is possible to run the CAI with the tranny tune? I only ask since the tune doesn't do anything to engine. Just a thought since I figured it would be no different then running stock with CAI. Also does anyone know if my 03 model year truck has a lean problem with the CAI? I have been told this primarily effects 05+ models. I'd like to continue with the performance tune but gas is getting back up there and I am not sure how the tow tune is as far as a daily driver. Thats why I am considering doing the tranny tune.
Old Wed, April 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlehead View Post
does anyone know if it is possible to run the CAI with the tranny tune? I only ask since the tune doesn't do anything to engine. Just a thought since I figured it would be no different then running stock with CAI. Also does anyone know if my 03 model year truck has a lean problem with the CAI? I have been told this primarily effects 05+ models. I'd like to continue with the performance tune but gas is getting back up there and I am not sure how the tow tune is as far as a daily driver. Thats why I am considering doing the tranny tune.
Sure, you could use the tranny tune with the CAI - as you said, it's pretty much like the stock tune as far as the engine is concerned.

But, before I got my 87 non-tow tune, I used my custom tow tune (and before that, the canned tow tune) as the daily driver. It was fine as far as I was concerned.

- Jack