Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road
Question Edge/Gryphon Footprint

So I have read posts around the web stating that the Edge leaves a footprint behind that can be detected.

Is this true and does the Gryphon custom tunes do this as well?
Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Bill has talked about this in the far distant past. There is a counter?, version data value? something, left behind in the PCM each time it is flashed. As far as I know, this bit of information is not specific to the Edge/Gryphon/XCal/whatever, but can indicate that the PCM has been flashed more than the "authorized" Ford number of times.

Bill said the likelyhood of a dealer even having the equipment to check this is remote, as I recall. And the chances of Ford doing it are equally unlikely.

I've never heard anyone complain that Ford denied a claim because the PCM had been programmed, have you?

I suppose the nature of a failure might cause Ford to investigate further. If, for instance, you developed a window in your engine block from a piston rod being ejected, they might wonder how this destructive activity came about. But, for the ordinary stuff that seems to plague all Fords, it doesn't seem to be a factor.

- Jack (I finally got there)!

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Member in Sin

SinCityFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Bill has talked about this in the far distant past. There is a counter?, version data value? something, left behind in the PCM each time it is flashed. As far as I know, this bit of information is not specific to the Edge/Gryphon/XCal/whatever, but can indicate that the PCM has been flashed more than the "authorized" Ford number of times.

Bill said the likelyhood of a dealer even having the equipment to check this is remote, as I recall. And the chances of Ford doing it are equally unlikely.)!
Cool...what I figured. Just ckecking before I go to the office and get these tunes loaded.

Quote:
I've never heard anyone complain that Ford denied a claim because the PCM had been programmed, have you?)
Nope...

Quote:
I suppose the nature of a failure might cause Ford to investigate further. If, for instance, you developed a window in your engine block from a piston rod being ejected, they might wonder how this destructive activity came about. )!

I have actually done that once......or twice
One Contour SVT and blew the hell out of a 95 cougar.

Thanx post *****...I mean jack.
Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

So does ford leave a foot print every time they reflash your PCM?

I would think any type of computer device out there has footprints left in them from dramatic reflashes or stored memory.

The deal like Jack said is if ford warrants further investigation.

You could get the PCM to a virgin status but it would require complete reprogramming of everything. Who wants to go and do that?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Bill said the likelyhood of a dealer even having the equipment to check this is remote, as I recall. And the chances of Ford doing it are equally unlikely.

I've never heard anyone complain that Ford denied a claim because the PCM had been programmed, have you?

I suppose the nature of a failure might cause Ford to investigate further. If, for instance, you developed a window in your engine block from a piston rod being ejected, they might wonder how this destructive activity came about. But, for the ordinary stuff that seems to plague all Fords, it doesn't seem to be a factor.
- Jack (I finally got there)!
Well I would say that I hadn't heard it, untill this http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...g-ideas-3.html Post #43 is where he starts talking about the edge. Later goes on to say that he set it back to stock but left a footprint, therefore they would not warranty the bad injectors that they put in there in the first place. I know his truck is heavily modified(but I am sure the suspension caused them to go bad)but Ford did not want to put a recall out about it when discovered and now he has to pay for it. I dont want to get on a rant on what ford has screwed the consumer with , But I do love my truck
Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBFX4 View Post
Well I would say that I hadn't heard it, untill this http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...g-ideas-3.html Post #43 is where he starts talking about the edge. Later goes on to say that he set it back to stock but left a footprint, therefore they would not warranty the bad injectors that they put in there in the first place. I know his truck is heavily modified(but I am sure the suspension caused them to go bad)but Ford did not want to put a recall out about it when discovered and now he has to pay for it. I dont want to get on a rant on what ford has screwed the consumer with , But I do love my truck
I don't want to rant and rave like a webrat or a lemming here, but what bad deal for fx4life!

All because his PCM said he had a tuner and the injectors weren't covered.

What's next? They aren't going to cover anything because you have a tuner?

I hope someone can get a recall going on those darn plugs but wait you still have to pay for them because you have a tuner!

The ? That wasn't really answered is what if the used truck had a tuner on it and you the new owner didn't know about it?

The other thing are we going to have to disclose if the truck had a tuner on it when we sell it? So that liable will be brought back to the previous owner if warranty is null and void?

Lars

Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
I don't want to rant and rave like a webrat or a lemming here, but what bad deal for fx4life!

All because his PCM said he had a tuner and the injectors weren't covered.

What's next? They aren't going to cover anything because you have a tuner?

I hope someone can get a recall going on those darn plugs but wait you still have to pay for them because you have a tuner!

The ? That wasn't really answered is what if the used truck had a tuner on it and you the new owner didn't know about it?

Lars
Yea I was wondering about the used thing also, but I assume it would only work if it was a "Certified Used Vehicle" by that dealer. I honestly don't think we will ever see a recall about the plugs, atleast I will not hold my breath.

I think it has a lot to do with how good your dealer is, they can overlook stuff like that when, they know there is no way a tuner broke your door handle . To tell you a little about my stealership...I needed to replace a brand new air filter that was just replaced one week before the oil change there
Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 11:19 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all
Bill, Can You Give Us Some Advice?

Well, that thread was a bit of an eye-opener, especially since I have an 05 too (with the injector letter). This thread was is in a forum that I don't frequent, so I did not see it. Also, quite recent - I wonder if it's the first that's come down this way?

I think, Lars, there might be a counter in the PCM. This would record the number of reflashes and if that number were greater than the factory authorized number of reflashes....

Then too, people have complained that their trucks failed emissions after returning the tune to stock (because the truck had not completed the needed number of drive cycles to clear codes that result in the emissions devices). Possibly they checked for those codes?

I wonder if you could be better off leaving the truck at the "tuned" level if you have to take it in for what seems a catastrophic failure? I think Bill would be our best source of information here. So, I've put the "dreaded" Help! to Bill title on this.

Things may have changed a bit due to the downturn in the economy.

- Jack
Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 11:31 PM

Jack,

I am sure the downturn has probably had them cracking down on things and going by the book. And I understand that it could void you warranty if certain problems arise in the engine or tranny. But I really think Ford should have stepped up to the plate on this one, being that it is a known defect, but I guess I am not surprised because of the spark plug issue.

And also, since you have a 2005, did you receive the letter about the bad injectors? I know I have seen some people say they never got one, which makes me think it might just be trucks from certain plants, or it just got lost in the mail.
Old Thu, April 16th, 2009, 11:36 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

What happened to the recall on the injectors? Whoop te do it was ford's fault to begin with!
Where did the Magnesson-Moss act come into play here? Unathorized access to ford's messed up pcm.

I thought I bought the truck and everything with it and also paid for a warranty! Yes warranties are in the price they just make it so you can't see it, and they roll the dice.
Lars