Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 02:35 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

martinoledad is on a distinguished road
Question What do you people think of this?

I was thinking today about everything that you can do to a truck or car to make the MPG better. Here's mostly what i came up with
1) CAI
2) programmer
3) MAF
4) exhaust
5) headers

for the most part thats what i came up with. but then i started thinking about the new Taurus SHO. about how it has the small twin turbos that give it over 300HP and 20something MPG and was wondering if you guys think that they could make that for trucks to. and if it would be effective because i dont think they make turbos for the newer ford f150s i couldnt even find one for my 07 when i did have it anyway.
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

4 things come to mind.
1. Rolling resistence.
2. Weight.
3. Aerodynamics.
4. Tires/wheel sizes.
Althought the new taurus weighs in close to 4000lbs.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Wed, February 3rd, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 02:59 PM

martinoledad is on a distinguished road

Im just saying do you think that if you put that kind of system in a truck do you think that it will give you a jump in power and save on MPG. I understand that it wouldnt be as big of a jump as it is on a SHO but still anything is better then nothing.

Also do you think ford or some other company would develop this as a custom request or special request.
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

The only real things that can be done to improve fuel mileage (and this relates to any vehicle):

Right foot control
Weight
Rolling resistance
Wind resistance

The unfortunate thing is that it takes a specific amount of power to make a vehicle maintain a certain speed at a certain RPM (gas or diesel). It takes a specific amount of fuel to make a specific amount of power. Gasoline engines REQUIRE a specific range of air/fuel ratios to run properly and efficiently. Diesel engines just require a specific fuel quantity. At any rate, (especially with gassers) the higher the engine displacement (cubic inches/liters), the more fuel you have to use to create the ideal air/fuel ratio in each cylinder.

If you lower any resistance to movement (air/rolling) then the power requirement goes down. Lower speeds create less wind resistance. Here's a shocking tidbit of info....any time the speed is doubled, wind resistance quadruples. In addition, if you lower the weight, similar acceleration requires less power.

BUT

The automakers have so many collision safety hoops to jump through that weight becomes an issue. If the NHTSA didn't have such an impact with legislation to make cars "safer", then cars could realistically weigh 2/3 of what they do now.

The right foot and the speed at which you drive plays the biggest role in the minimum amount of fuel you can burn in a given vehicle.

However, comparing a Taurus with good aerodynamics that will not realistically ever use the 300 horsepower more than a couple times (since it's not going to make 300 HP while cruising 55 MPH to the grocery store in steady traffic) isn't a fair comparison.
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 05:55 PM

Robert6401 is on a distinguished road

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "You people?!?!?!?!"

2003 F250 Lariat 7.3PSD CC SB FX4

Kwik (6637) Filter, RE 2.5" leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, TC Lock, Fumoto, EBPV/Exhaust Brake,6.0 Tranny Cooler, AIH Delete, IssPro EV2 Gauges, PHP Phoenix stock, 25tow, 40tow, 65tow, 80dd, 100perf, In-tank mods, Muffler Delete, WW, FRx,HPx, JW Stage 1 Trans, Swamps HV/HF IDM
-Pulling a 38' Forest River Sierra 5th Wheel
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I think "you people" is similar to
  • y'all
  • you guys
  • youse guys
  • yallsen
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

go with a gear splitter, not sure if Gear vendors make one for your vehicle...

but like everything else, will you ever recoup the money spent on the mods in fuel savings....
For example, I am looking for a gear splitter, also referred to as a (aux trans, or brownie box) for my FSR but thats cuz it will only go 55mph now due to the gearing... but as they are only around used and rare at that its about $1000 for a decent one if I can find it... prob another $1000 for a different ratio 3rd member... I have found one in CA that is a 3.55... Currently I am geared at a 4.88 or 4.33 not totally sure yet..
Still that is less than the $3000 Gear vendors gets for their units... Due to the size of the FSR it probably won't take too long to recoup that cost if i start using it as an RV tow vehicle... I will gain about a 25% fuel savings and be able to do 70-75 on the fwy
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM

Robert6401 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I think "you people" is similar to
  • y'all
  • you guys
  • youse guys
  • yallsen

Yeah, I was just messing with him. Like in the movie "Tropic Thunder."

2003 F250 Lariat 7.3PSD CC SB FX4

Kwik (6637) Filter, RE 2.5" leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, TC Lock, Fumoto, EBPV/Exhaust Brake,6.0 Tranny Cooler, AIH Delete, IssPro EV2 Gauges, PHP Phoenix stock, 25tow, 40tow, 65tow, 80dd, 100perf, In-tank mods, Muffler Delete, WW, FRx,HPx, JW Stage 1 Trans, Swamps HV/HF IDM
-Pulling a 38' Forest River Sierra 5th Wheel
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Just remembered that the ecoboost motor or some variation of it might be an option in 2011-12 in the f150's. Its replacing the 4.6L 2V.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, February 3rd, 2010, 09:10 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

And just MAYBE a diesel F-150 too.
Closed Thread