Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Sat, May 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road
Default Wants to run!

I don't know if many of you have ran your trucks all out before, but I had an opportunity a while back to let it stretch its legs a bit and was really surprised.
We got stuck behind some sight seers and were running a bit late getting to the in-laws. I convinced my wife I could easily make up some time on the back roads but I guess the sunday drivers ahead of us thought the same thing too.
Anyway, when I had an open road ahead of me, and it was completely clear ahead, I nailed it and made my pass. I usually will let off a bit and watch my speed so as to not over indulge; and let off a touch this time too, but I couldn't resist it's willingness to keep going.
As I was about to look down as check my speed, my wife already had started to notice it; I was just hitting 110 mph and it still wanted to run. Here I was expecting to see 80-85. I guess I forgot it wasn't set at the stock limiter anymore.

Sure, I'm a bit curious to see where it could have gone if I stayed on it; especially since I know I had more room for the tach to climb, and a little bit of pedal under my foot. However, we all know what curiosity did to the cat -- and I'm not that curious anymore.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is how impressed I am with how well these trucks will run when you are have some steam. The 4.6L, for being a small motor will still get you up there, even if it can't get you started all that quick.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Sat, May 22nd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I know what ya mean even though I try to stay out of the triple digits, my tires aren't in the best of shape.
Old Sun, May 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Baconator

Yeah, I know what you mean. I usually don't run that high, but it was a nice straight open road; and sometimes you just can't resist.

I know these like to run pretty good at higher/highway speeds, but mine really likes running higher. Not to mention, it was continuing to pull like a freight train; even at that speed.

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Sun, May 23rd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Forum Predator

Yeah, I've been suprised at how quick my little 4.6L can be. Lately I've been able to go 70+ and still get 18+ mpg. And I have people harassing me because my truck get bad mileage...its because they dont let me go fast enough!
Old Sun, May 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Baconator

I hear you on that. It seems once I get out of the stop and go traffic in town; even if I still don't get into a higher speed zone, the mileage starts to take off. Then when I get into the country a bit and can crank it up, the mileage keeps going up. It seems to keep going up even if I'm really giving it a beating too.

Around town, back and forth to work, which is only 3 miles one way, I average about 13.5 mpg. Give me a chance to get onto some roads with a couple fewer traffic lights and the mileage can jump 2 or 3 mpg easily. Then let me hit the country and in no time I'm up over 17 and continue creeping up. Even if I'm launching it from stops and cruising at 70, it continues to go up higher.
On that day I ran it over 100, my average mileage reading was almost 20 mpg; the highest I think it's ever read.

Old Sun, May 23rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Forum Predator

You should look into installing a vacuum guage like I did. About $15 and I can fine tune my highway driving to easily get over an extra mpg. Pretty soon I'm going to do some experiments with the converter lock points by comparing to the guage. But even without it I get about 13.8 city and ~20 highway mpg. I've been seeing 20 mpg on country roads I used to see 18. The best part was that there was no drilling besides the installation of the guage.
Old Sun, May 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

martinoledad is on a distinguished road

Ive actually noticed the same thing. When give it a little more gas then a normal person would then I get better gas mileage. I was wondering the other day and then read this tread and it got me even more curious. Does Bill set a speed limiter or is it stock or is it even so far up there no body will ever get there? I hope its the last one. I dont know a road that i can safely get my truck that high or with out getting busted by the cops.
Old Sun, May 23rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Forum Predator

Both Jack and I have noticed that slightly harder acceleration gets better mileage. He's got a 5.4L 4wd and I have the 4.6L 2wd so there is definitely a larger variety. I think it is because the engineers had torque in mind when they designed these trucks. Bill usually sets the speed limiter at 120, that is what mine is set at. Look around for a track and I'm sure you can find a way for them to give you access to use it. I've got one within 10 miles and a second within 50.

Oh BTW, I'm going to move this to the conversation area of the forum where other peope may see it and add their input.
Old Sun, May 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I don't know that Bill mucks with the speed limiter unless you ask him to. He didn't with my tunes, but it was an easy change using the "Custom Options" menu.

Then, after setting my speed limiter to 110, I set my speed alert at 85, so I don't get a ticket! Does this make sense or what?

I certainly don't want to cruise in the "ticket me" range and, I don't want to push the tire limits, (even though they are rated for 114). But, if I have to go fast for some reason, I most emphatically don't want the truck's brain to shut me down.

These trucks certainly don't need to be "babied", but they don't need to be "beat all to hell" either. I think either approach can be bad for their long term health.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, May 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Bacon King

matt7.350 is on a distinguished road

I had an 05 F150 STX 4.6 I only had an exhuast on it and i still noticed the same thing about it. In Ga on 75 S you can open it up a little due to the Speed limit being higher and I always got great numbers going to and from Atlanta