Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Whopper

agood1 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but I don't really have time to weed thru all the stuff here. This appears at first glance to be a pretty busy place. I would just like some basic information or a post that outlines the best tunes and their best applications.
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 11:32 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
Yeah, but I don't really have time to weed thru all the stuff here. This appears at first glance to be a pretty busy place. I would just like some basic information or a post that outlines the best tunes and their best applications.
There's no such thing as a "best" tune. A towing tune is for towing and low end power. A performance tune will hold the power longer at the upper end of the RPM band. What do YOU need?

- Jack
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Whopper

Well, not exactly sure, but something that will take full advantage of my Magnaflow exhaust. Something that shifts better than stock and takes out the lag when it down shifts. More torque that would allow the truck to pull a slight incline without having to downshift out of OD. I do mostly non highway driving....2 lane roads in moderatly hilly conditions. Most of the time I take it out of OD becuase I hate the shifting back and forth.
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

OK, now we're getting somewhere. The OD behavior you would specify in your custom tune request. You can also do a lot of that yourself by adjusting the part throttle up/downshift and torque converter lock/unlock points with a Gryphon. Virtually any programmer should reduce the terrible downshift lag you describe.

I doubt there's any performance advantage in the exhaust though. (But I imagine it sounds and looks nice.)

- Jack
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Whopper

I would have no idea how to specify any of this, thus I was looking for some guidance.

So there is more perfoamance enhancement with a CAI than a more free flowing exhaust?
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

If you already have a CAI then you will be seeing more imrovement. If you dont have a CAI then go with the gotts mod. You will probably see benefits from both but for exhaust the only way to make it more "free flowing" would be to have high flow cats or dual exhaust. The "y" in the exhaust is about where you can draw the line of beneficial changes. Anything after wont have much of an effect while changes ahead probably will except for some combinations involving headers.
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Whopper

I don't have a CAI. Gotts Mod?
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 12:09 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
I would have no idea how to specify any of this, thus I was looking for some guidance.

So there is more perfoamance enhancement with a CAI than a more free flowing exhaust?
I thought you specified it quite well actually. I knew exactly what kind of performance improvements you were looking for in the "tunes", and, so would Bill.

88Racing is our resident expert on exhausts, so I'll let him respond to your post about having the tune take advantage of the exhaust.

I have very strong opinions about CAIs, and think they are a total waste of money that cause nothing but trouble. If you want to improve aspiration, search this forum for the "Gotts Mod". It's a simple, less than $10 mod you can do yourself and it DOES produce benefits.

Please read through this: Q&A About Custom Options It talks about adjustments you can make to your tunes, either custom or canned, that will help with the OD behavior you described.

- Jack
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Whopper

I totally agree with you on CAIs. I think they are a marketing gimick. Kinda like free flow air filters....if you want to see if a free flow filter will provide any more performance, go take out your filter all together and make a short run....can't get any more free flowing than no filter at all.

OK so it appears there is some reading I can do that is more attactive to my situation. I will take a look.
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Here's a link for the Gotts mod.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/2004-...-pictures.html
As far as exhaust?
Yours is good.
The only thing better is long tubes with high flow cats.
If you do that then your next step will be a supercharger. Don't get all worried about exhaust.
There's a whole lot of changes before the exhaust that will need to be done to take full advantage of it.
Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.