Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Double Whopper

NHRA6002 is on a distinguished road
Another Question for Cory or Bill

I have an Evo ordered for my truck and plan on upgading it right away. I am looking for answers/advise to the following.

1) On other web sites all you ever hear is that any edge product will wreck you trans unless you have custom tunes which you can't do with an edge so you have to have an SCT. When you upgrade your evo are the trans programming in the canned tunes that are come in the Gryphon the same as the evo or have they been modified.

2) I will soon be installing a 4" t/b Magnaflow, will that make any differance in the required tuning? (with supplied muffler but no cat)

3) Should I also have my FICM reflashed at the same time. It was just replaced (warranty) a month ago.

4) If I have to take my truck back into the dealer can they detect if the FICM has been reflashed?

thanks,
Stewart

05 6.0L CC DRW 4X4
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 03:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I've never heard of Edge hurting transmissions with the canned tunes. Doesn't seem like they'd stay in business long if this was true, does it? My guess is, some people who buy programmers do it to turn their pickups into drag racers, and then they race the things at every opportunity. You do that often enough, and your transmission's toast. I doubt it matters who tunes your truck if that's the way you drive it, it's going to get beat to death.

Exhaust mods seem to have little effect on the tuning, but I'm no expert on this.

My guess is, Ford COULD tell if your FICM were reflashed. The question is, will they try to find out? And, I don't know why you are talking about having the FICM reflashed, so I can't answer that question at all.

Maybe I shouldn't have jumped in here, since I'm not Bill and I'm certainly not Corey! But, I didn't want you to feel "ignored".

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Double Whopper

Just go to powerstroke.org and put up a post that you have a stock 6.0L (03-07) and you are thinking of getting an edge programmer for it and see the response.

The question about the reflash is that the dealer just replaced the FICM and now I am getting about 10-12MPG so if I get it reflashed by Bill and I have to take the truck in for other work will they be able to tell if it is other than stock.
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

if the dealer replaced the FICM then I am sure they put the latest firmware on it. From what I understand, all Bill does is reflash it with the old firmware . the new FICM programming was done to cut down on warranty claims. Also I thought that the Edge didn't make any changes to the transmission setting but I may be wrong...

I don't understand why so many people want a programmer instead of a Flip chip if that have a diesel
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Double Whopper

They say trans issues are because Edge does not modify trans settings. I questioned them but of course no logical reply given.
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 11:49 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Here's how it breaks down, for our diesel products anyway...

Product availability:
  • 7.3L - Multi-Postion Chip, Programmer, Inline Module (Pressure Box)
  • 6.0L - Programmer, Inline Module (Pressure Box), FICM Reflash (Standalone)
  • 6.4L - Programmer, Inline Module (Pressure Box)
Modifications:
  • 7.3L Chip - Engine and Transmission
  • 7.3L Programmer - Engine and Transmission
  • 7.3L Inline Module - Engine only or Engine & Transmission (based on module type)
  • 6.0L Programmer - Engine and Transmission
  • 6.0L Inline Module - Engine only or Engine & Transmission (based on module type)
  • 6.0L FICM Reflash - FICM
  • 6.4L Programmer - Engine Only
  • 6.4L Inline Module - Engine only
In regard to complaints about shifting, the bulk of it revolves around the 6.0L trucks running the Juice/Attitude modules. They've historically had shifting issues on levels 4 and 5 and while the "Platinum" includes improvements to the transmission, there have still be some complaints of aggressive shifts.

In regards to the Evolution/Gryphon, we don't generally have shifting complains but I guess there could be a few out there as well. I've seen a few posts in other forums where someone complained about the Evolution and shifting. Oddly enough though, when I asked them if they had ever called Edge to discuss the problem and see if there was a resolution, I never got an answer. Of course, I know the answer was NO because I would have heard about it.

With literally tens of thousands of these programmers on the street, there simply can't be that many transmission problems or we (I) would certainly know about it. I'm sure that there have been failures that have been related to the use of a programmer, but I honestly think that the bulk of those failures are the result of either outright abuse or the failed component was marginal or compromised to begin with.

Things break on their own without any help from the aftermarket and we have no way of knowing just what condition any of the driveline components are in when installing any type of performance products. The reality is that when you increase the power output 50% (or more), sometimes it helps push something that is marginal to the point of failure. We can't help that. I just don't understand how people can jump up and down and get upset when something breaks. We do the best we can to ensure we offer a safe and reliable product, but again... things break.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Double Whopper

Thanks for the reply Bill

What is the inline module you have listed?

It realy bugs me when someone slams a product and when you question them why, they have nothing to say, that makes any logical sense.
Old Mon, March 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Well, and then what REALLY sucks is that people who have read posts but have never had the products are more than ready to start spreading misinformation without even having a clue. It's too easy to act like an a-hole and say anything you'd like on the forums when you can hide behind a computer screen.

Bill's out picking up my inhaler at the pharmacy (sick AGAIN! ), but I think he'll be wandering around the forums later tonight. I'll let him know you have a question.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Mon, March 23rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Inline modules are for primarily diesel vehicles (although some companies make them for gassers) and go in between the PCM and the wiring harness to modify input and output signals.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, April 8th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Double Whopper

Just picked up my EVO today. Hopefully will be able to install my exhaust and EVO this weekend. Will do my best to get to Dynomite in July for a FICM reflash and maybe a Gryphon upgrade befor then.