Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Old Fri, January 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Despite the fact that 14.64:1 AFR is stoich for gasoline, this is NOT where peak torque is made. Under full load, peak torque occurs around 11.8:1 and peak HP is closer to about 12.6:1. Cruise conditions are quite a bit different and can run upwards of 15.0:1 without technically being "lean", although again this doesn't necessarily equate to the best fuel economy or performance.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, January 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Thanks, Bill - makes perfect sense to me. And, I can see how your A/F curves smoothly adopt that strategy, rather than having the sharp "bump" at 4500 rpm.

But, now I've started "thinking" again (which I know is dangerous). The stock curve seems to hold the A/F ratio near 14.08 (the ideal for E10). And, I have to imagine the older trucks like my 2005 and earlier tried to hold it at 14.64 (for REAL gas ), so did Ford put out a flash to the PCM to "adapt" them to E10 when it sort of became the "standard"? As I recall from the f150 forums, the 2004-2005s were already lean running when they came out. E10 would just make things worse, right?

- Jack
Old Sat, January 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

To some degree. Keep in mind that the vehicle tested was a FlexFuel vehicle and had the ethanol sensor. Also, don't forget that those are WOT runs. The fuel strategies are a little bit different at WOT than at cruise where 15+ AFR is not uncommon.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Sun, January 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Double Whopper

chappy is on a distinguished road

That is pretty Fricken sweet.nice job.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
at cruise where 15+ AFR is not uncommon.
Really? I thought this was a recipe for disaster. I always heard how leaning a motor out could wreck any number of parts, most notably the pistons. is there any truth to this? is it only under certain conditions?
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

At cruise, there's very little load on the engine. I imagine that's how you get away with a lean A/F setting.

- Jack
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
At cruise, there's very little load on the engine. I imagine that's how you get away with a lean A/F setting.

- Jack
Exactly. Running a tad lean (lean being a relative term here) during light cruise (minimum load) is not uncommon for most auto manufacturers. In fact, I've seen as high as 15.8:1 under light cruise. Under acceleration or load, fuel curves will richen up as necessary to keep things safe.

(678) 890-1110

Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Tuner NON-extraordinaire

secondarychaos has a spectacular aura aboutsecondarychaos has a spectacular aura about

Ok, so it's Lean + Load conditions that can cause issues.
thanks for the clarification!
Not to mention the fact that the grants are ridiculous and you have to be in very specific categories to qualify - Male, between the ages of 41 and 42, who rides a unicycle to work, has a baby rhino for a pet, and only eats pork fried rice all day.
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondarychaos View Post
Ok, so it's Lean + Load conditions that can cause issues.
thanks for the clarification!
Couldn't have said it better myself!

(678) 890-1110

Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Double Whopper

AgentOrange is on a distinguished road

Bill,
I do not have a Gryphon yet, hopefully soon...that being said, because of the air intake mod I have, do you think it would be detrimental to my engine (stock 5.4 3v with stock air filter) to make WOT runs? Should I cap off the ram air section and just let it breathe through the fenderwell until I get a Gryphon?
I haven't made any WOT runs yet, and based upon your explanation of A/F ratios it's probably a good thing I haven't.
Thanks for any guidance.

Tags
2009, dyno, f150, power, results, torque