Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Tue, February 2nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Dave,

I have personally experienced this on many occasions and I really began to notice it on a stock fueled truck with a slightly "smoothed" base SOI map. Dropping ICP in the "advanced" regions quieted it down.

To be completely honest with you, I was actually looking for that exact post a few days ago.
Old Fri, April 16th, 2010, 01:35 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Well I have been working on making my Daily program smoke free. It was pretty good but I was experiencing excessive smoke on a 50-60 mph "roll on". I was able to get it juuust about completely smoke free by dropping PW in this certain area of the map..........

Problem now is at lower speeds, parking lots, driveways, etc the truck will slowly pick up speed and then launch forward without changing the APP. Basically when I am trying to maintain a slow speed the truck will accelerate quickly without me asking it to. Prior to making these adjustment the truck behaved PERFECT, besides the smoke.

Another issue I created is a 150 RPM rolling idle.

Here is what the map looks like.........

I tried adjusting the ICP map to lessen the "ramp up" with seemingly no change.

My only guess now is I am having an ICP issue, maybe compensating for such low PW.

Did I go too far with the PW map?

Should I be making my adjustments somewhere else?

Be easy on me......I am new.
Old Fri, April 16th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Whopper

thedieselguru is on a distinguished road

Dave,

As I understand it, part of the issue is timing. The other part is to atomize the fuel. In that, if you advance timing then you can burn fuel that isn't "broken up" as well. But if you retard timing, you have to really atomize the fuel for complete burn.

The example being HPCR systems. The closer to TDC you SOI, the higher the rail pressure and vise versa. In a HEUI, the ICP and intensifier piston accomplishes what rail pressure does in those systems. Controls injection pressure at the nozzle.

All that being said, I would think that a lower ICP and a little advance in SOI would make less smoke without the "lean burn" feel. With a bump in PW to keep the fuel delivery the same.

But I might be way off base???

Roger
Old Fri, April 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM
BROKE

Well my issue is that I am running injectors that are roughly 3 times as big as stock injectors, and can deliver this fuel in about half the time. Because of the faster delivery rate I do not want to add any more timing to reduce smoke. The other part of the problem lies in the injector nozzles being so large, I loose atomization, and the only way to get this back is to increase ICP. I am not sure how to add any more ICP without any negative side affects, like I am experiencing now.
Old Fri, April 16th, 2010, 12:49 PM
BROKE

Damn it.........I think I finally realized what I did wrong.

If I quit thinking about it then all of a sudden it pops into my head.
Old Fri, April 16th, 2010, 04:35 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
Damn it.........I think I finally realized what I did wrong.

If I quit thinking about it then all of a sudden it pops into my head.

It's funny you mentioned that. I was going to give you a "pop quiz" based on the questions you asked in the previous post.

ALL RIGHT!!!
Old Fri, April 16th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Whopper

thedieselguru is on a distinguished road

Well don't keep us in suspence, man?
Old Fri, April 16th, 2010, 09:16 PM
BROKE

Actually I realized that in that particular program I was a little more aggressive with the Base SOI map in the light throttle ranges.

I switched back to a program with the same PW map with the easier timing curve and the slow speed issue went away but.............I still have the rolling idle.

Sooooo quiz away..........pleeeaaassseee.
Old Fri, April 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

What is your minimum IPR duty cycle parameter? What is commanded in the base IPR map? What effect does the ICP have on your PW?

Last edited by cleatus12r; Fri, April 16th, 2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: I got my maps backwards.....
Old Fri, April 16th, 2010, 10:29 PM
BROKE

Min IPR Duty% Parameter is 4.98%

Duty Cycle Maps says should be around 4.5% @ level 20 on the Regulator Flow (which I am not sure what that really is).

As PW drops ICP goes up.........right?