Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, August 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Whopper

1999RedXLT is on a distinguished road
Default 199 F-150 Gryphon Custom Parameters

Hello All,

I've read the FAQ about custom parameters and I'm not sure I understand completely. I understand that there are some parameters that are specific to the vehicle configuration, like gear ratios and tire sizes. Others are tuneable, like WOT and Rev limit. I further understand that those parameters, or their equivalents, exist in the stock tune. It would seem like the Gryphon would load the stock gear ratios and tire sizes, even if you are doing a custom tune, then you would only have to change them if/when you change the item, like tire sizes. But as I understand it, the Gryphon, when you open the custom parameters screen, loads some default parameter that may or may not represent the configuration of your truck, even if it is stock. So you have to go and set tire size and gear ratio (anything else?) if you load any custom parameters. While that seems suboptimum, it may be due to the architecture of the ECM or Gryphon and I'm OK with it. But when do I have to do that? Only the first time for each level? Every time I change levels? Example - If I have larger tires, and I want to enter that fact in Level 2, I open the screen and do so. Maybe I change some shift points, and other things and after I finish towing, I want to go to Level 3. First, when I go to level 3, are all my custom parameters in Level 2 saved with Level 2 so that they are there the next time I use Level 2? When I load Level 3 and open custom parameters, I'll get the defaults, right? I know I can choose to get parameters from the previous tune, but I don't want them all, just the ones associated with the truck, like tire size. So if I don't want to blow away Bill's good defaults for Level 3 I have to let it load the defaults and change the things that need changing, like tire size, is that right?

Sorry to be so dense, but I'd like to be sure I understand the use and storage of custom parameters.

Thanks,

Al
Old Sat, August 8th, 2009, 06:30 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It's OK, AL - it CAN be confusing. I'll try to answer each of your questions by quoting them. My replies in "red" *duh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999RedXLT View Post
Hello All,

I've read the FAQ about custom parameters and I'm not sure I understand completely. I understand that there are some parameters that are specific to the vehicle configuration, like gear ratios and tire sizes. Not really specific to the vehicle, since you CAN mount different tires or install different gears. If this happens, you want to inform the PCM.

Others are tuneable, like WOT and Rev limit. These are "electronic" limits only. They have no relation to any mechanical parts on the vehicle.

I further understand that those parameters, or their equivalents, exist in the stock tune. The Tire Size (TS) and Gear Ratio (GR) are not really in the "stock tune" but are kept in the VID section of the PCM.

It would seem like the Gryphon would load the stock gear ratios and tire sizes, even if you are doing a custom tune, then you would only have to change them if/when you change the item, like tire sizes. That would be logical, but according to Bill, it doesn't happen. As long as you load a canned tune and DON'T open the Custom Options Menu, the stock TS and GR are taken from the VID and "placed into the tune". If Bill writes a custom tune, he can set a "bit" that tells the PCM to ignore the VID and load a custom TS and GR that is included in your tune. But as soon as you open the Custom Options Menu, any "ignore" bit is bypassed and the VID values are too. Placeholder values are retrieved from some other part of the PCM and they may need to be corrected.

But as I understand it, the Gryphon, when you open the custom parameters screen, loads some default parameter that may or may not represent the configuration of your truck, even if it is stock. YES!

So you have to go and set tire size and gear ratio (anything else?) if you load any custom parameters. NO! (As long as you are happy with the way your tune performs).

While that seems suboptimum, it may be due to the architecture of the ECM or Gryphon and I'm OK with it. But when do I have to do that? Only ANYTIME you open the Custom Options menu.

Only the first time for each level? Every time I change levels? Example - If I have larger tires, and I want to enter that fact in Level 2, I open the screen and do so. Maybe I change some shift points, and other things and after I finish towing, I want to go to Level 3. First, when I go to level 3, are all my custom parameters in Level 2 saved with Level 2 so that they are there the next time I use Level 2? When I load Level 3 and open custom parameters, I'll get the defaults, right? Level has nothing to do with it. When you use the Custom Options Menu, you end up creating or modifying a SINGLE "previous settings" file. This SAME file will be applied to any Level if you open the Custom Options Menu and "Load Previous Settings". One place this could be bad is if you advance your timing 1 degree because you use 89 octane gas in an 87 octane tune, but then put 91 octane gas into a 93 octane tune. The timing advance will need to be changed, but you might want to keep the shift behavior and you certainly want the same TS and GR.

I know I can choose to get parameters from the previous tune, but I don't want them all, just the ones associated with the truck, like tire size. So if I don't want to blow away Bill's good defaults for Level 3 I have to let it load the defaults and change the things that need changing, like tire size, is that right? If all you've changed is the TS and/or GR, you won't blow away any of Bill's defaults when you "Reload Previous Settings". But, if you've given Bill your TS and GR, he'll include them in your tunes. You don't need Custom Options at all.

Sorry to be so dense, but I'd like to be sure I understand the use and storage of custom parameters.

Thanks,

Al
Have I cleared anything up?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, August 8th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Whopper

Default Great Information Jack, Thanks!

The key piece of information was that there is only one set of custom parameters which is used by all tunes. I don't recall that statement being in the FAQ. Maybe I missed it. If it isn't in there, it might be helpful to add it.

I'll continue to study the manual and the FAQ. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks again!

Al
Old Sun, August 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999RedXLT View Post
The key piece of information was that there is only one set of custom parameters which is used by all tunes. I don't recall that statement being in the FAQ. Maybe I missed it. If it isn't in there, it might be helpful to add it.

I'll continue to study the manual and the FAQ. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks again!

Al
Thanks Al - I'm not sure either. I'll go back and see if I can't make that piece of information more obvious. Thanks for the input - I appreciate it!

- Jack
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 08:04 PM
PHP Groupie

Al, I've added the bit about how the "Previous Settings" file is used to the Q&A.

It's next to last in the list (because it seemed to fit there). Could you review it and tell me if it makes sense?

Duh - I just realized I should PM you on this. Will do - but anyone else's input is welcome too.

Thanks for your input!

- Jack
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Whopper

Default I'll check it out - and another question or two

I've been running the level two tune for a little over a half a tank, and I've noticed that the Gryphon seems to be under-reporting vehicle speed. The analog speedo in the truck agrees pretty closely with my GPS but the digital on the Gryphon seems to be about one mph or more low. What is the rounding algorithm? Does the unit round or just truncate the fractional mph?

I'm reluctant to open the custom parameters menu yet and start changing things, so my second question is, what tire size and gear ratio is the unit set up for? I think I provided my VIN to order, so did Bill look up the gear ratio and tire size (if it varies)?

As an aside, even if it is under-reporting speed and distance, my mileage seems to be up. I think the biggest cause is I can see the mileage and how my driving style affects it. So far, I have noticed one counter-intuitive effect. If I start off from a stop very gingerly and slowly accelerate up to the cruising speed (in town) I get WORSE mileage than if I hit it to about 1/3 - 1/2 throttle and get up to cruising speed more quickly. That may be because the towing tune is more efficient at lower speeds, or it may just be my imagination, but I thought it was interesting.
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
PHP Groupie

I love it when the answers are "simple"!

On your speed. You really want to adjust the tire size so you dash speedo reads about 2 mph (about 3%) fast at 70 mph. So, if your GPS reads 70, your dash should read 72 and the Gryphon should read 70. Why? Because that's the way Ford calibrates things to make your odometer accurate. Why?

So anyway, you should go ahead and bite the bullet and open the Custom Options Menu. You're going to have to "play" here. But, I'd activate Pegasus, enter your tire size in the "old" tire size window of the Gear Ratio Calculator, then change the "squish" to 7% (this seems to work for me) and read the Tire Size (TS) in the "Old Circumference" window. Try it. If it doesn't work, increase the size if your speed is being reported slow or decrease it if it's being reported fast.

Your error is actually pretty minor though. And if you didn't have a programmer, you and everyone else would not notice it.

The "reported" Average Economy" is probably not too accurate. I find mine is higher than a "hand calculated" value at fillup. But, you MAY really get better mileage by getting to a higher gear more quickly than "feather-footing" it from a standing start. Naturally, things are relative. I suspect if you "floored" it, you'd get worse mileage.

Your observations make sense to me - and good reporting of those observations!

- Jack