Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, December 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Whopper

antzfreshwhip is on a distinguished road
Default few ?'s about my cust tunes.

i have just tried them out and was wondering about a few things.

1- is it ok if i change the idle settings and wot shifting if i wanted too?
2- i recall reading about shifts above 5400 rpms. well i noticed at wot shifting from 1-2, the rpm's reached 5550. is that ok being that high? it could of even shifted at a higher rpm but i let off the gas, scared to damage something

thx for the help.
Old Sat, December 12th, 2009, 11:57 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It's fine to change the idle setting if you want to. But, unless you are experiencing low charging voltage, I don't see why you'd want to raise it. Lowering it could cause the idle to be uneven.

According to everything I've read, above 5400 rpm, the Torque Converter starts to balloon. There's intentional emphasis on "starts". Going way above this rpm would not be good on it and holding the rpm somewhat above 5400 for prolonged periods would not be good either. Brief transitions into this region though should not cause problems.

You want the WOT shift points at least 400 rpm below the max rpm so they can complete properly. You may need even more leeway for the 1-2 shift. Since the HP and torque are generally starting to fall off above 5000 rpm, Bill set my 1-2 and 2-3 WOT shifts in that region, but the rev limit in my performance tune is at 5600. The 3-4 WOT shift is at 4400 rpm. I don't think I've ever seen the rpm above 5400 with this setup.

I'm going to move this thread into the Gryphon forum, since it's not really a "problem" that Bill needs to fix. He may add his thoughts to it if he sees a reason to.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Whopper

i noticed my wot 1-2 goes way above 5400. prob about 6000. so im gonna lower it too 5100 and raise the rev limiter to 5500. it scares me when it shift at that high of a rev.

and the idle i wanted to raise to about 700 rpms, i monitored the batt voltage and idle rpms, and noticed the voltage would go as low as 12v with a 515 rpm.. it usually hovers around 600rpm/ 14 v when the truck is in park with no load on the engine
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzfreshwhip View Post
i noticed my wot 1-2 goes way above 5400. prob about 6000. so im gonna lower it too 5100 and raise the rev limiter to 5500. it scares me when it shift at that high of a rev.

and the idle i wanted to raise to about 700 rpms, i monitored the batt voltage and idle rpms, and noticed the voltage would go as low as 12v with a 515 rpm.. it usually hovers around 600rpm/ 14 v when the truck is in park with no load on the engine
It sounds like the WOT 1-2 shift is set way too high and so is your rev limit. The new numbers you posted sound fine, but I'd probably set the rev limit to 5600.

Why not try 625-650 rpm for idle? One problem with raising the idle speed is that it fights your brakes when you are trying to slow down, which, of course results in more brake wear.

- Jack
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Whopper

thx jack, i will definately do that with the rev limiter, and when i adjust my idle, il keep that in mind.
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Whopper

jack, in a few days droping my truck off to get the tranny fluid flushed out and new fluid put in. now i am of course putting my truck back to stock on the gryphon and going to take it out. now im thinking if they would happen to reflash my pcm. now i dont want to tell them " if you reflash my pcm please let me know" because they might ask me a whole bunch of questions like why do you wanna know and all. They get like that over here. Now say if they do, and i connect my gryphon, should i read a different hex code?
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 10:46 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
jack, in a few days droping my truck off to get the tranny fluid flushed out and new fluid put in. now i am of course putting my truck back to stock on the gryphon and going to take it out. now im thinking if they would happen to reflash my pcm. now i dont want to tell them " if you reflash my pcm please let me know" because they might ask me a whole bunch of questions like why do you wanna know and all. They get like that over here. Now say if they do, and i connect my gryphon, should i read a different hex code?
They are not going to do a reflash over a tranny flush.
Tell them no unless they give a good reason why.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM
PHP Groupie

Why not tell them to clear anything other than the tranny flush with you BEFORE they do it? That way, you don't have to mention anything about the PCM. If you have custom tunes, they will no longer work if your PCM is reflashed. If your tunes are still the canned ones, your hex code would change and you would need to tell Bill right away that you have a different hex code so that he could build your tunes properly.

And, PHP has decided they are going to HAVE to start charging for rewriting tunes when your PCM is flashed. Bill essentially has to completely write brand new tunes for you, so you do not want the PCM reflashed.

- Jack
Old Mon, December 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Whopper

they didnt mention anything bout it but i hope they dont. how much is anyway for bill to re-write the tunes ?
Old Tue, December 15th, 2009, 09:19 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
they didnt mention anything bout it but i hope they dont. how much is anyway for bill to re-write the tunes ?
30-60 each tune.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.