Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, September 11th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Whopper

ak_cowboy is on a distinguished road
Default Tire Size not Changing

I've upgraded my tires to 295/70R17s (33.4") and my speedo is reading 9% slow. This is GPS vs what the Gryphon says. I had the same problem when it was the stock edge, I can adjust all the other custom settings, but the speedo is always off no matter what numbers I put it. I've tried from 2500 to 2800 and its always reading slow. ex says I'm doing 55mph while gps shows 60mph...

Any idea how to fix this?
Old Sun, September 11th, 2011, 07:53 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

All right, this sounds like you're not going into the load tune state after you've entered the Tire Size (TS), or the your Gear Ratio (GR) value is wrong. BOTH will have "default" (placeholder) values when you first open the custom options menu that may or may not be correct.

I can't hep you with the GR value, you have to get that off the VIN sticker. But I suggest a TS value of 2573mm. Your unloaded tire circumference is about 2653 and reducing it by 3% for the flattening effect of weight gives 2573.

Now, when you open the Custom Options Menu: scroll to GR and put in the correct figure if it's not already there. Hit [Enter] to "save" it. Scroll to TS and put in 2573. Hit [Enter] to save it. If you push the [Menu] button in either case, you will "back out" without saving. Then, scroll to "Done" and hit [Enter] to load your tune and those values into your PCM.

Test your speed after you get the tune loaded. If the Gryphon still says you're going slower than you really are, increase your TS. But, this time (and any future time) you open the Custom Options Menu, scroll to "Load Previous Settings as the very first step you perform!. Hit [Enter] to retrieve your previous TS and GR (and any other changes you made. Now, when you scroll to TS, you should see a value very close to what you last used - it won't be quite the same due to "rounding", but the difference will be minor. You can change it as needed.

If you don't see the proper TS after loading previous settings, or if you skip the "Load Previous Settings", you're doing things wrong. Re-read these instructions.

- Jack
Old Sun, September 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Whopper

ok, I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Thanks
Old Mon, September 12th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

The easiest way I have found to get the tire size accurate with a GPS is to set your tire size to something you know is wrong, like 2400, clear the odometer on your truck and on the GPS, drive 10 miles then input the numbers as shown.
(GPS Miles/Truck miles) X 2400 = New Tire Size
Old Tue, September 13th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Whopper

So I started at 2573 with my gears of 4.10 and was showing 51mph while travelling 55. Shut the truck down, loaded previous settings, and changed the TS to 2774, speedo didn't change. Loaded previous settings again, upped TS to 2900 and speedometer was still off by 9%....
Old Tue, September 13th, 2011, 12:11 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
So I started at 2573 with my gears of 4.10 and was showing 51mph while travelling 55. Shut the truck down, loaded previous settings, and changed the TS to 2774, speedo didn't change. Loaded previous settings again, upped TS to 2900 and speedometer was still off by 9%....
OK, do it again. This time, tell me what your Tire Size value is right after you "Load Previous Settings" (before you enter anything new). Also, if you DO have 4.10 gears installed, tell me what the Gryphon shows for Gear Ratio after the "Load Previous Settings" step.

If you're doing things right, you should see a TS value that is "close" to 2900 and a GR that is 4.10 at this point. Tell me what you find and we'll go from there.

- Jack
Old Tue, September 13th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Whopper

My TS says 2905 and GR is 4.10. My truck has the heavy duty package and came stock with 4.10s.
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 10:14 AM
PHP Groupie

Well, that surprised me. The TS and GR are definitely stored in your "customized" tune file. This leaves only ONE possibility, you are not loading them into the PCM.

So, do it again, for whatever tune you want to use. Scroll to "Load Previous Settings". Check the TS and GR if you'd like, hitting [Enter] after viewing each setting, then scroll to "Done" and hit [Enter]. At this point, you should see the usual progress display telling you that the PCM is being programmed. At the end of this, there should be a "click" under the dash and a "programming complete" message (as I recall).

A TS of 2905 should make your Gryphon and dash speedo read MUCH faster than the GPS. I would think that would show a +9 mph error at a true speed of 70.

And, if you've followed my directions exactly and still have the same problem, I'm out of ideas - except what year is your truck? I've been working on the assumption it is an 04-08 model. Is it possibly a pre 99 model? If so, you cannot adjust the speed with a programmer. You will need to change the VSS on the rear axle if you mount non OEM tires. Edit: Nevermind - I see from your User Profile that you have a 2007 truck.

- Jack
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Whopper

I'll give it one more shot, but I dont' have much hope either lol This is a first gen Edge and I've never been able to change the tire size since I got it.
Old Wed, September 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
I'll give it one more shot, but I dont' have much hope either lol This is a first gen Edge and I've never been able to change the tire size since I got it.
Have you checked for any firmware updates? To do so, return your truck to stock, then start Pegasus on your PC. With Pegasus running, plug in the Gryphon. Click on [Updates]->[Gryphon Update Manager] and apply any firmware and calibration updates you find. Then, click on [Updates]->[Custom File Download] to reinstall your custom tunes. After that, try reloading your tune with an adjusted TS. You MAY need to adjust the GR too - the updates may wipe out your "Previous Settings".

- Jack