Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Whopper Junior

finalday7 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about custom tunes on the Gryphon for a 2002 f150

I'll be ordering a gryphon next week for my 2002 supercrew with the 5.4 and just had a couple of questions. The truck is all stock right now. Over the winter i'll be adding preferbly cat-back exhaust, intake kit, headers and so on. The truck will be hauling a fairly large travel trailer every once in awhile and doing alot of highway driving. My main question is, can I order the gryphon with the stock tunes and say in a few months order up some custom tunes to be installed. Also if I'm using the stock tunes and decide to make modifications will the stock tunes still work?

Sorry for the noob questions but i've always just gone with hypertech programmers so this is my first programmer with "custom" tunning. Thanks
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

What kind of headers?

Long?

Short?

Long tubes you'll need a custom tune.

Shorties=look nice under the hood but do nothing for performance. No custom tune required.

Cat back exhaust=no custom tune needed.

High flow cats=need a custom tune.

X/H pipes=need a custom tune.

Intake kit=no tune needed a custom tune will make it better.

Supercharger=need a custom tune.

Best way to do custom tunes. Figure out what you are going to be modding before you order. I have given you just some examples that require or don't require them. After you figure out the mods. Go ahead and order the gryphon and it will come with canned tunes. But when you are ready to do the mods make sure the custom tunes are in place that are needed for the mods or you could be throwing a code or two. Just put all the info down on the order form and maybe call and talk to Bill.
Sure new custom tunes can be written at any time and cost extra but have them before the mods that need them are done.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Mon, August 10th, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks for the quick reply.

The headers i'm looking at running are most likely the pacesetter armor coat long tubes.

So should i order the 3 custom tunes i'm looking at getting right away? Even if I don't modify it for a month or two? Will the custom tunes work if i don't have the parts on the truck yet? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I do it right the first time .

Also is there a significant difference between a custom 87 tow and a 91 custom tow? I'm really looking for the best tow tune and 87 performance tune.

Thanks for all the help and i'll make sure to call ahead before i order
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalday7 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

The headers i'm looking at running are most likely the pacesetter armor coat long tubes.

So should i order the 3 custom tunes i'm looking at getting right away? Even if I don't modify it for a month or two? Will the custom tunes work if i don't have the parts on the truck yet? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I do it right the first time .

Also is there a significant difference between a custom 87 tow and a 91 custom tow? I'm really looking for the best tow tune and 87 performance tune.

Thanks for all the help and i'll make sure to call ahead before i order
The mods you're talking about will work with the stock tune, but things won't be optimum. I don't feel the same about having tunes installed for the mods, BEFORE the mods are in place. Bill could tell you if they would cause harm, I doubt if any of the rest of us really can.

There IS a difference between any 87 octane tune and the corresponding 91 or 93 octane tune. The chief differences are more power and better gas mileage. But, the high octane gas costs more. Do the two opposing traits offset? It's hard to tell. I've written several posts on this in the past. Here in Tucson, 91 is about 10% hgher in price than 87. Can you get 10% better mileage with 91? Probably not in a tow tune, but maybe in a non-tow tune.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, August 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Whopper Junior

Good to know. My main concern is low end when towing up grades with my trailer so a little extra in fuel is worth a little extra low end in my opinion.
So I think i'm all set I'll order the gryphon with the stock tunes and also with 2 or 3 custom that i'll get in a couple months when there done
Old Tue, August 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Keep in mind that performance tunes will nearly always get better economy than a towing tune and tow tunes run a little richer in the bottom end than a similar rated performance tune. This is to help improve low RPM torque and prevent elevated cylinder head temps when pulling long grades while loaded down. The quick burst associated with day to day driving are much less of a problem and slightly leaner AFRs are capable when running an unloaded truck which improve both performance and economy.

Most folks have had really good response with the 91/93 octane programs, although a few have indicated that they didn't see the gains they had expected. On our vehicle, we've been extremely happy running the 87 or occasionally 89. We've tested 93 but for what we use the vehicle for, it wasn't worth the extra expense for us. Take it for what it's worth.

I hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, August 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks that does help. I'd be running the custom 87 tune most of the time but only when towing my 29' trailer would i switch to the Custom tow tune.