Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Sun, November 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough
Default What makes an Economy tune?

Is it increased SOI, ICP, decreased PW, or all of them, and how much?

I would assume lower shift points, earlier TCC engagement, and a "softer" low boost fuel map but I am just shooting in the dark here.
Old Sun, November 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Shooting into the dark and just about hitting a bull's eye. How's that for lucky?

Very little on all accounts of SOI and ICP. PW can be whatever you want once you get above a certain ICP since you don't really care about economy once you get above 2000 PSI or so.

I would increase SOI a degree or two at the most below 1600 or 1800 RPM and at low fuel rates. ICP can ramp up a little more aggressively but again, you're trying to go for economy.

All in all it boils down to your right foot. THAT'S it.
Old Sun, November 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
BROKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
I would increase SOI a degree or two at the most below 1600 or 1800 RPM and at low fuel rates. ICP can ramp up a little more aggressively but again, you're trying to go for economy.

All in all it boils down to your right foot. THAT'S it.
Ok.......well its pretty hard to control the right foot sometimes, but if I had a tune that could do it for me that would be pretty nice.

Would lowering the entire Mass Fuel map do this?

So by increasing ICP and lowering PW you will not gain any MPG results, thinking better atomization?

The SOI increase I understand but it is kinda weird to think about everything all at once, (this affects that, and that changes that).

I love it
Old Sun, November 22nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Well in all actuality, commanding an increase in ICP does have an indirect "advancing" property to it as well.

As far as lowering the entire MFD map......yes and no.

You can lower the values enough to give a dead pedal.

Another idea would be to lower the fuel limit for RPM map and set the low boost fuel map to give the desired result and still be drivable. It's a balancing act.

I'd just put an egg on the accelerator pedal.
Old Sun, November 22nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
BROKE

Quote:
Well in all actuality, commanding an increase in ICP does have an indirect "advancing" property to it as well.

As far as lowering the entire MFD map......yes and no.

You can lower the values enough to give a dead pedal.

Another idea would be to lower the fuel limit for RPM map and set the low boost fuel map to give the desired result and still be drivable. It's a balancing act.

I'd just put an egg on the accelerator pedal.
And the plot thickens

Would just increasing the ICP be enough to get better MPG's, or should it be accompanied with a slight increase in SOI?

I understand lowering the fuel limit stuff, but trying to understand how to make the engine more efficient on its own, without my negative influence.

The egg might not be a bad idea tho......

Grrr....damn touch screen, gotta be careful around these things.
Old Sun, November 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
And the plot thickens

Would just increasing the ICP be enough to get better MPG's, or should it be accompanied with a slight increase in SOI?

I understand lowering the fuel limit stuff, but trying to understand how to make the engine more efficient on its own, without my negative influence.

The egg might not be a bad idea tho......

Grrr....damn touch screen, gotta be careful around these things.
Just increasing the Desired ICP table does little. It's a function of MFD and RPM. So.....

What I said before about a balancing act with the MFD map becomes a little more clear.

Yes, the Desired ICP map can be increased in those areas where you wish for a little more efficiency. Before you get too excited about asking for 1500 PSI where there was previously 700, there will be a point where it becomes a bear to drive; we don't want that. Also the benefits will start to diminish at some point.

On a side note, those ICP-fooling devices like the Workhorse module and Edge Juice actually DO work. They command an increase in ICP and mileage does go up. They wreak havoc on the HPOP, but they do give you a decent power increase with some mileage if driven decently.

Old Sun, November 22nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
BROKE

Quote:
Just increasing the Desired ICP table does little. It's a function of MFD and RPM. So.....

What I said before about a balancing act with the MFD map becomes a little more clear.

Yes, the Desired ICP map can be increased in those areas where you wish for a little more efficiency. Before you get too excited about asking for 1500 PSI where there was previously 700, there will be a point where it becomes a bear to drive; we don't want that. Also the benefits will start to diminish at some point.

On a side note, those ICP-fooling devices like the Workhorse module and Edge Juice actually DO work. They command an increase in ICP and mileage does go up. They wreak havoc on the HPOP, but they do give you a decent power increase with some mileage if driven decently.

Ok... I think I understand now.

What negative effect would there be with having too high of ICP, touchy pedal, increased engine noise, too much fuel too soon?

What problems did those modules cause on the HPOP's? (1211?)
Old Sun, November 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Noise, roughness, and jumps in pressure can cause a touchy or jerky accelerator pedal. Besides, I think that certain MFD becomes inefficient at certain ICP values. I can't say for sure, it's just my opinion.

Yeah, the P1211 codes were a side effect. Actually, the HPOP was forced to work harder ALL THE TIME. With most aftermarket tuning, the ICP is actually virtually unchanged. So when driving normally, the HPOP isn't working harder than stock.
Old Sun, November 22nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
BROKE

I guess to say its a balancing act would be an understatement..........well at least to me. Guess it just comes down to experimenting, to see what works for me. Just wish it wasn't so damn cold here!

Thanks Cody
Old Wed, December 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

This is why I need a 20 position chip... I was trying to shorten the PW and raise the ICP by the opposite amount. IE lower PW 10% and up ICP 10% thinking less fuel but better atomization...

I am wondering how advanced of the SOI would be safe at my altitude. wondering if there is a guideline like 1 degree per 1000 feet elevation for example. Now Cody is suggesting the SOI is not a big influence on economy right? I'm trying to get a good fwy econo tune thus I am working in the 1700-2200 rpm range with my mods. Cody, Do you think pulling the MFD down on the low end of the APP would have a bigger effect? the downside is that would affect the whole RPM range at that APP

Dave, say hi to Santa for me and tell him I been a good boy(lie) being you live in the same town as him
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's