Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

Afrancis is on a distinguished road
Problem after installing Gryphon(nothing to do with the Gryphon itself)

So I got my Gryphon today and installed it, not I have a problem I need help/advice on. To give a little history, a few months back my 4x4 went out on my truck. It didnt have any of the problems with the grinding or anything, it just quit working. The 4x4 lights on the dash work fine, and I can tell it doesnt engage when I flip the switch, so I know its not a burnt out light. Now before I got the Gryphon i heard about the problem with the IWE solenoid where the water would get in it and mess it up. So I went ahead and bought a new kind of the solenoid and instaled it, but it didnt fix the problem. I assumed that when I got my Gryphon and hooked it up it would give me a DTC to tell me what was the problem, but to my surprise I went to check them today when I hooked it up and it said there was no codes to display. So now I have no clue as to what the problem could be, and no way to fiure it out. Can a diagonist(sp) at the dealer pick up anything that the Gryphon cant?
Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 06:17 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrancis View Post
So I got my Gryphon today and installed it, not I have a problem I need help/advice on. To give a little history, a few months back my 4x4 went out on my truck. It didnt have any of the problems with the grinding or anything, it just quit working. The 4x4 lights on the dash work fine, and I can tell it doesnt engage when I flip the switch, so I know its not a burnt out light. Now before I got the Gryphon i heard about the problem with the IWE solenoid where the water would get in it and mess it up. So I went ahead and bought a new kind of the solenoid and instaled it, but it didnt fix the problem. I assumed that when I got my Gryphon and hooked it up it would give me a DTC to tell me what was the problem, but to my surprise I went to check them today when I hooked it up and it said there was no codes to display. So now I have no clue as to what the problem could be, and no way to fiure it out. Can a diagonist(sp) at the dealer pick up anything that the Gryphon cant?
Yes, a dealer can read diagnostic codes the Gryphon does not display. Bill explained this a short time ago. The Gryphon can only show you DTCs from the PCM. There are other controllers that throw their own codes and the dealer has devices that can detect these.

Whether or not there is a code associated with your problem, I couldn't answer however. Perhaps a Tech could make a few guesses about what could be wrong. (I only know that a certain kind of vacuum leak will cause it to GO INTO 4WD).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, March 24th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Mini Me

BluByu1986 is on a distinguished road

When you installed the new solenoid, did you blow out the vacuum lines with compressed air. You need to remove the vacuum lines from the hubs on each axle and blow the lines out from the top (by the firewall at the solenoid location) in order to clean out the lines. They may contain water from the old style solenoid. Re-attach all the vacuum lines and take the truck for a test drive and try 4x4.

Hope this works for you......