Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 08:32 AM
Ford F150 FX4

way2qk4u2c is on a distinguished road
Default Starting and Idle Problems Ugh!

OK whats is wrong with my truck this is getting annoyning as hell.

First remember back about my idle problem- while sitting at a light the truck had a hard time staying running- it wanted to die and then cleared itself...

Now i have a problem starting it. Sometimes itll start fine other times itll try to start but its like something is forcing it not to- i let off on the key and wait 5 sec and try it again- still wont start. Wait another 5 sec and then it starts.

I been pissed off at ym remote starter lately thinking its malfuntioning because my truck wont be running when i get out there but now i know its not the remote starter- it does it with the actual key too.

Is this possible from the security chip in the truck not seeing the key right and disabling the truck from starting.

I have no clue and its getting old why this truck is doing this.
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c View Post

Is this possible from the security chip in the truck not seeing the key right and disabling the truck from starting.

Well I wont be of much help, but about the key issue....
Im not exactly sure of how the ford is...because I haven't tried a bad key in one yet, but I know most of them will pop up with a "key light" on the dashboard if there is a problem.

But some of the jeeps I use to ride in that had the chip key, a bad key would crank it, but once you shifted out of park it would die.
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2qk4u2c View Post
OK whats is wrong with my truck this is getting annoyning as hell.

First remember back about my idle problem- while sitting at a light the truck had a hard time staying running- it wanted to die and then cleared itself...

Now i have a problem starting it. Sometimes itll start fine other times itll try to start but its like something is forcing it not to- i let off on the key and wait 5 sec and try it again- still wont start. Wait another 5 sec and then it starts.

I been pissed off at ym remote starter lately thinking its malfuntioning because my truck wont be running when i get out there but now i know its not the remote starter- it does it with the actual key too.

Does it do it all the time like this?

Failsafe on the security I think is put the key in and turn it to on but not run wait 10-15 minutes and it should start right up.

Another thing I remembered about the 97-03 is the run once security. You could use a non chip key for 1 time the next time had to be the chip key. To my recollection the security shouldn't effect any idle problems. Its just an initialization to get the truck to start.
Any idiot lights showing up on the dash?

Might have to bring it to the dreaded dealer to get looked at.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 10:02 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Have you tried starting the truck with your second key? (Assuming you have one). This might rule out a defect in the key itself.

Really does sound like some other problem though, possibly related to the remote starter. Is this a device you recently installed? Is it something that could be temporarily "uninstalled"?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know what make your remote starter is. Is it one of those that requires a 2nd key? That's what I have and one time I had been on rough roads and the key got relocated away from the ignition recognizer. But maybe Jack has a point about the rs unit being "faulty". Try disconecting it and then see what happens. Here is one for you sometimes my truck will mysteriously start on its own. So everytime its parked in the garage I have to disable it with the remote and that cured that problem.

Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 12:40 PM
Ford F150 FX4

Well heres this

1. The remote starter is a viper- i put it in myself

2. The remote starter has a security bypass module that you program to bypass the security. (no key inside it) It would not work intermitent - it either works or it doesn't

3. Also this unit is not connected to the security of the car- so when using the vehicle key you are not going through the remote start at all. Because there are no wires that are cut that make it go through the remote system. So in essence it is pretty much disabled while starting the vehicle with the actual key.

4. F150online people have the same issue- you start the car in the morning run to the store- hop out and come back and it wont start until you try it 3 different times. Some say PCM flash- some say fuel pump- some say bad check value- some say injector..

5. As soon as its cranking- the truck feels like its trying to find the right cylinder and it feels like it lost power to try to keep running. Then the third time it sounds totally different and actually fires up.

6. Could be a flooded engine or something like that.

7. Or maybe i didnt wait on the "RUN" to prime the fuel pump enough before cranking it.

Either way its intermitent so taking it to the dealer is going to be hell...

PLus now my third brake light is leaking so im gonna have to take it in for that.

Plus my idle go erratic intermitent and also while driving sometimes i get a huge hesitation and wants to die and then 5 sec later it comes back to life- what gives???

The idle and starting and hesitation all happened before the remote starter...

Could it be my gryphon??????? I bought the edge used and then converted to gryphon???? do these go bad?????
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Anything CAN go bad, but once the Gryphon has programmed the PCM, it's just a monitor. There's nothing it can do to the truck at all, just sitting there on the dash, except to make it look purty.

Have you gone to diagnostics to see if there are any codes?

Since you have a 2006, is the truck still under warranty?

- Jack
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM
Ford F150 FX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Anything CAN go bad, but once the Gryphon has programmed the PCM, it's just a monitor. There's nothing it can do to the truck at all, just sitting there on the dash, except to make it look purty.

Have you gone to diagnostics to see if there are any codes?

Since you have a 2006, is the truck still under warranty?

- Jack
Ok....

Haven't tried running codes

I think my factory warrenty is up june 09 but just in case i have extended till 100k miles.
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Ford F150 FX4

The more n more i think about it- Im leading to PCM....

Cuz for one its random and two its like the PCM is getting confused what to tell the sensors or injectors to do and starts messing up and then clears itself right away. The only thing that controls the electronics is the PCM...
Old Fri, May 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Willing to bet on "fuel pump"

Hard to start. Takes 2 or 3 times. Not imediately locking in priming pressure.(Check valve)also I think located in pump.

Just maybe the pcm?

Dies or rough idle at intersections? Not maintaining correct idle pressure. Could be a regulator also.

As far as injectors? Who knows.