Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfishrmn View Post
Just a thought on this. The color match is good unless you have the tan interior, then if you want it to match you'll have to do some seaching to find a match that does not cost $50 a can. I found some at Gladwin Paints that is real close but not exact. It would be good to offer that color as an option if possible. Other than that small detail the Gryphon is a great unit that would not give up for anything.
Interesting! My truck has what I would call a "tan" interior (it's a King Ranch and much of the plastic in the dash is tan), but the part that the Gryphon snaps onto is a titanium grey, and the pod matches that area nearly perfectly.

There are a couple of pictures of mine on the PHP website - the ones that show a green display and a dash hood that looks sort of like it's covered in football leather.

Back on the f150 forums, I saw a picture of a pod that someone had painted to match the tan part of the dash, and it was a good match, but as I remember, it was sitting on the grey section. I personally feel the metallic grey color is better.

As far as I know, the pod comes only in the grey color for late model trucks. It used to be black.

- Jack
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Double Whopper

Dfishrmn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Interesting! My truck has what I would call a "tan" interior (it's a King Ranch and much of the plastic in the dash is tan), but the part that the Gryphon snaps onto is a titanium grey, and the pod matches that area nearly perfectly.

There are a couple of pictures of mine on the PHP website - the ones that show a green display and a dash hood that looks sort of like it's covered in football leather.

Back on the f150 forums, I saw a picture of a pod that someone had painted to match the tan part of the dash, and it was a good match, but as I remember, it was sitting on the grey section. I personally feel the metallic grey color is better.

As far as I know, the pod comes only in the grey color for late model trucks. It used to be black.

- Jack
The portion in my truck where the pod sits is a dark brown mix, the gray pod really stood out so I found that paint. Looks alot better.
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Well heck! I keep learning new things! I thought ALL the complimentary dash colors were that silver-grey!

- Jack
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 06:27 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

In the course of 4 years on those trucks, I've only seen 1 picture of a non-grey dash strip and have never seen one personally. It's like a super-rare option.

The only thing you can do in those cases is paint the pod to match. I wish I had a good line on interior paint so I could offer it to the customers, but being that it's such an odd thing I don't know if it's not just easier for the few customers who have that color scheme to find it locally.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Well heck! I keep learning new things! I thought ALL the complimentary dash colors were that silver-grey!

- Jack
If you look in my albums, I have a picture of the pod pre-paint. I'll post one after paint tomorrow and include the paint I used to match it.
Old Sun, December 28th, 2008, 06:54 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Awesome! That'll really be helpful.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Bacon King

svt2205 is on a distinguished road

Now, I finally got around to paying attention to the color combo on my dash. So, the grey pod will work.

Now the next question comes to custom tuning. Which tune would be most appropriate for plowing?

Thanks for the help on this
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 09:34 AM
PHP Groupie

That's a nice looking interior, Dfishrmn! I can see why you would be unhappy with the grey pod color. I'm going to guess though, that the "texture" of the pod is close to what is in your dash - right? The older, black pods had a texture that was completely different, so even if you got the color close with paint, it still looked wrong (at least on the newer trucks).

Plowing tune? That's definitely one for the Mad Doctor! But, I'd guess some modification of a towing tune. Would you be running the truck in 4WD Low to perform this task?

- Jack
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
That's a nice looking interior, Dfishrmn! I can see why you would be unhappy with the grey pod color. I'm going to guess though, that the "texture" of the pod is close to what is in your dash - right? The older, black pods had a texture that was completely different, so even if you got the color close with paint, it still looked wrong (at least on the newer truck)

- Jack
Yeah, the texture is real close. I just added a picture of the pod with the new paint to my albums. It isn't exact but is a lot closer than the grey. I bought it at Gladwin Paints but may be available at other outlets. I think it ran about $14. It's made by SEM. Easy to apply, just wipe the pod with paint thinner, let dry one minute, and paint. No primer.
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 01:52 PM
PHP Groupie

A lot better than the grey, in my book! Still, I can see it's a little too "warm". I wonder if Ford sells any matching paint? Seems like they should, doesn't it?

There's also this internet source: http://paintscratch.com/ They seem to be able to match any OEM colors and can even account for differences in assembly plant locations. I doubt you'll have any luck finding a color code for your dash (other than some generic thing for "tan"), but maybe if you contact them they'd have some ideas.

Maybe, if you sent them the part of the panel that the headlight switch mounts into, they could mix a color match.

(You can see how "obsessive" I get over things like this, can't you)?

- Jack