Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, February 2nd, 2009, 08:43 PM
working for parts.....

Northern Supercrew is on a distinguished road
Default help with codes

O.K.....got a question/concern. driving to work today...67 miles. running the 87 perf tune. a little over 1/2 way there the truck starts acting gutless and doesn't seem to get any revs out of her.. went into check dtc's and came up with 2 codes...something to the effect of Intake Camshaft Timing Over Retarded Bank 1. the second code was the same except Bank 2. Made it to work and put truck back to stock for the day...checked for codes and they were gone. Afterwork installed 87 perf again and it now revs great again and no DTC's present. Could someone shed some light on possibly what happened? This is the first prob i've ever had with it. i should have grabbed the codes a little better than what i did. thanx for any help....
Old Mon, February 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Supercrew View Post
O.K.....got a question/concern. driving to work today...67 miles. running the 87 perf tune. a little over 1/2 way there the truck starts acting gutless and doesn't seem to get any revs out of her.. went into check dtc's and came up with 2 codes...something to the effect of Intake Camshaft Timing Over Retarded Bank 1. the second code was the same except Bank 2. Made it to work and put truck back to stock for the day...checked for codes and they were gone. Afterwork installed 87 perf again and it now revs great again and no DTC's present. Could someone shed some light on possibly what happened? This is the first prob i've ever had with it. i should have grabbed the codes a little better than what i did. thanx for any help....
I suspect this is a job for....The Mad Doctor! Whatever, at least the problem seemed to be the same for both sides of your engine! Sounds like it was "retarding" something - so this probably reduced the power.

Be interesting to see what the "Man", comes up with! (Glad I'm not him)

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, February 2nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

How cold was it this morning? Also, did the Check Engine Light come on?

One thing to keep in mind is that the camshafts are "controlled" by oil pressure and as I understand it the orifices feeding the hydraulic actuators are not very large. If the oil was especially viscous due to cold weather, the camshafts will not advance properly. The PCM detects this, will set a code or codes, and then go into sort of a limp mode.

That's the best I can come up with at this moment. I'll check Oasis when I have a moment and see what that says. Please provide the DTC numbers, if you remember them...

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, February 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
working for parts.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
How cold was it this morning? Also, did the Check Engine Light come on?

One thing to keep in mind is that the camshafts are "controlled" by oil pressure and as I understand it the orifices feeding the hydraulic actuators are not very large. If the oil was especially viscous due to cold weather, the camshafts will not advance properly. The PCM detects this, will set a code or codes, and then go into sort of a limp mode.

That's the best I can come up with at this moment. I'll check Oasis when I have a moment and see what that says. Please provide the DTC numbers, if you remember them...
-20 celcius today...not especially cold....driven it at -45 celcius with no probs.....no CEL either. yeh, limp mode is what it felt like. hills were a :censored3: to climb, i put it in 3rd to try and bring the revs up, to no avail. it seems to be working fine now...altho i haven't driven it yet. the test will come on the way home thurs afternoon. if it happens again, i'll grab those codes. it reved fine when put back to stock, and is still revving fine when i installed the 87 perf again...i didn't touch any other options...basically no custom program. thanx Bill.
Old Tue, February 3rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Bacon King

bbbxcursion is on a distinguished road

Cold weather and cams working with oil psi are no fun.....Update us if it happens again. What oil are you running?
Old Tue, February 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
working for parts.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbxcursion View Post
Cold weather and cams working with oil psi are no fun.....Update us if it happens again. What oil are you running?
running a 5W20 for warrenty reasons...put it in at 10,000 KM and now have 11,000 on truck.very light skiff of snow on the ground, but i've been thru heavier all winter...i'll keep everyone posted if it happens again.