Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Double Whopper

jerodr is on a distinguished road
Default Issue with dtc codes

Well...I was washing my truck earlier and I got in it to turn it around in my driveway, cranked it and an "Engine in failsafe mode" beeped on my message center. Scared the Sh** out of me. So I turned it off and checked the dtc codes on my gryphon. It pulled one - P2106: Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited power. So I thought ok i'll just return it back to stock and see what happens. Did that and now I have a different code only - P1000 On-Board Diagnostics System: Readiness Test not complete. The "engine in failsafe mode" isn't on anymore, but I am still getting this code. I unpluged the gryphon and plugged it back in but the code is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerod
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodr View Post
Well...I was washing my truck earlier and I got in it to turn it around in my driveway, cranked it and an "Engine in failsafe mode" beeped on my message center. Scared the Sh** out of me. So I turned it off and checked the dtc codes on my gryphon. It pulled one - P2106: Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited power. So I thought ok i'll just return it back to stock and see what happens. Did that and now I have a different code only - P1000 On-Board Diagnostics System: Readiness Test not complete. The "engine in failsafe mode" isn't on anymore, but I am still getting this code. I unpluged the gryphon and plugged it back in but the code is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerod
I'm pretty sure you're getting the P1000 code now because the system's been returned to stock and you haven't completed the required number of drive cycles (which is a good reason to NEVER return it to stock just before an emissions test (if your state requires them and they plug their tester into your OBDII port). Just leave it in it's custom tune and all seems to be well (according to several other Gryphon owners who've had their car emissions tested). I plan to remove my Gryphon from the dash though, when it's my turn and tuck the cable up out of sight - so I don't give the test folks anything to raise their eyebrows over.

Now, why did you get the failsafe warning and the P2106 code? I can only guess. Did you perhaps wash the engine? I've learned these trucks are pretty sensitive to water in and around the COPs. It's possible something like that caused the trouble - especially since the truck was fine up until you washed it and it was simply sitting there under no stress. The failsafe mode is activated though by high engine temperatures and that information comes from the CHT sensor I believe. Possibly water in and around it caused it to send an erroneous high reading to the PCM, forcing the failsafe mode.

If it was my truck, I'd go out and reprogram the tune you had before. Start it and see what happens. I suspect you'll still have the P1000 code, but that should go away after about 30 miles of driving.

Anyone else with some more brilliant thoughts?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Double Whopper

Jack..I did not wash the engine. I didn't even raise the hood. That is good news about the p1000 code. However I am not sure about the other code. I plan on trying to reprogram back to level 2 like you said and see what happens. I wonder if it has anything to do with my throttle lag still being there after the tune like I mentioned in the other thread? Thanks Jack you're a ton of help.

Jerod
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 06:26 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Well heck, I hate it when I can't be brilliant! :cry:

Again though, the failsafe mode is only "real" when the engine overheats. For some stupid reason then, I'd have to say it got a false "hot" signal from the CHT sensor. (This shuts down fuel injection and possibly spark on every other cylinder - but air is still brought in to cool things down).

Since the engine was clearly NOT hot, it had to be a false signal, and, I suppose it's possible for CHT sensors to fail suddenly, and maybe to the HOT status, but I'd think it unlikely. I'd also be surprised to see that code go away just because you reprogrammed the PCM to Level 0, if the sensor was bad.

I'll be most interested in learning what happens when you return the tune you had before. I am absolutely positive a tune cannot cause this failsafe symptom! (And if it turns out it can, I'll never give anyone advice again). :sniffle:

(I meant to add - If you continue to have trouble on the Level 2 tune, post your problem in the "Help - Emergency" forum. I think Bill would want to know about it right away! And, I suspect he monitors that forum pretty closely).

- Jack

Last edited by Jackpine; Mon, December 29th, 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Added note to use Emergency forum if problem continues
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Double Whopper

Well...I programmed everything back to level 2 and went out and ran some errands and everything seemed ok. When I got home I checked the dtc codes and there were none so everything "seems" to be back in order. I'll keep driving it and hope that everything goes ok...not really sure what happened. Thanks Jack for your help.

Jerod
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodr View Post

Jerod
Check this. It's quite possibly related to your issue.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...p?tsb=05-18-12

As for the P1000, that is completely normal and should go away after some normal driving, although it may take up to a couple days to make it go away.

If the P2106 occurs again, shut the truck off, restart, and then go into the diagnostics menu and clear the DTCs. This should clear everything out.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
PHP Groupie

Yea, well - I'm really glad to hear you weren't blown up or anything following my half-baked advice! Honestly, I'm not an "expert" on these things at all, but, I DO read and I try to apply what I've learned in engineering to these problems. I also never advise anyone to try anything I wouldn't try myself.

But, now I have to tell you a tiny story about how I decided something in a single-lens reflex camera I had many years ago needed cleaning. It actually did need this treatment, but in the process, I totally ruined the semi-transparent mirror this particular Canon camera had. Bottom line was a fairly large repair bill to Canon to fix my fix! :o

So, I try to reason things out correctly - but, I'm afraid I get things wrong all the time!

And, I suspect when Bill gets a free moment or two, he'll inject his usual brilliance here to tell us what REALLY happened!

(AND - HE DID! So, did you "cold start" and slam it quickly into gear? I can't help but wonder though, why this action would put it into failsafe???)

- Jack

Last edited by Jackpine; Mon, December 29th, 2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Acknowledgement of Bill's input (before mine).
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Jack,

You're second guessing yourself again. Don't do that. Trying to diagnose a vehicle problem over the internet is like trying trying to guess what I have in my fridge by me telling you I have food in it. Heck, Ford mechanics have the luxury of having the vehicle in right in front of them and they still get confused. Nobody can fault you for being wrong. As long as you're honest, you can't go wrong.

There are specific situations where a failsafe mode could be the result of a bad calibration, but they have to a fairly specific set of circumstances. Not a big deal though.

I just came across that TSB yesterday and it is probably responsible for more than a few P2106 codes.

Don't sweat it buddy... Your doing a great job keeping the natives informed and happy.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 10:30 PM
PHP Groupie

Thanks, Bill - appreciate the kind thoughts. Actually, I wasn't too worried about the advice I was giving here, because I didn't think it could hurt anything. But, it's really interesting that failsafe can be activated through something other than high engine temps and, that there is a possibility that a programming error can cause it. (Although, on second thought, I can see how it would be easy for a programming error to cause most any problem! Remember, I used to teach this stuff. But I just didn't think your tunes would be responsible).

As I said, I never tell anyone to do anything I wouldn't do. And, I think I'm fairly "conservative".

- Jack
Old Mon, December 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM

The biggest issue we deal with that causes Failsafe Mode is either an overly lean or overly rich condition. This is the CAI problem with canned tunes that everyone talks about. Outside of that, there isn't much short of an actual failure.

Take care.

(678) 890-1110