Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, February 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

twintips_17 is on a distinguished road
So far.... Nothing but Problems

Got my gryphon in the mail today....

Looks sweet in all black... Love the mints by the way Corey!!!

Anyways I went out and drove it tell I got the temps up to normal and then I stopped and plugged it in to program it. I went through all the steps spot on just like I have done in the past with my edge.

It went fine. Downloaded my stock files and then made a checksum file. But then it gave me an error. It was an F1 error, This vehicles calibration is not yet supported, Check for updates and call tech support if your version is correct.....

Whatever.... So I tried it again thinking it was just being stupid.(electronics like to do this to me)

But it gave me the same error. So before I through a hissy fit i thought that i would go home and check for updates. I thought they were sent with all of them current. So i went to start my truck and it wouldn't start.....

Now im stuck.... I have had this happen before and had to get a pcm reflashed cause the voltage went below what it required and froze. My heart was in the dump today.

Turned the key off and then tried it again and she sprang to life... In a stock form....

So i went home and went to look for updates but my previously loaded Pegasus software didn't want to work..... Tried and tried. Finally I gave up and uninstalled it and then reinstalled it. Got it to work.(back to them wanting to do things to me LOL)

Looked for updates and sure enough there was one.... Yeah maybe now it will work.

So i went to the same spot and tried to program it to level three....

I got past the checksum file error this time.... I’m ready to burn some rubber. Its gets done with all four phases and I go to start it......

It would start but wouldn't run. Well I guess it kind of run. It would rev up to 1200 rpms and then die to 200 before revving it back to 1200 again. I let it do this for some time (20 sec) and then decided it was not right.

I just can’t win for losing at this point....

So I try to run a stock tune and at this point in the night I have all but given up when I tried this. It got done programming and it ran great. I drove it a little ways and it felt like it had more power than my edge. That’s what I wanted.

So back to the performance tune... What would make it do that? I was running 91 octane and I didn't mess with the custom options except for tire size.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the long post.

SUPERcrew
AF1, EDGE, and EFANS with Magnaflow Exhast SISO.
Expy Console and Rear Seat Swap! Eagle 16's with 285-75/16 ST's
Gryphon Tuner soon to have custom tunes by PHP!
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm amazed at the problems people can have with these things. And, twintips, I haven't a clue what went wrong in your case. Sounds like you were doing everything right, but....

I'd leave everything just as it is until you can get with Bill on this. I suspect he's the only one who can help you.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I'm amazed at the problems people can have with these things. And, twintips, I haven't a clue what went wrong in your case. Sounds like you were doing everything right, but....

I'd leave everything just as it is until you can get with Bill on this. I suspect he's the only one who can help you.

- Jack
What octane is the extreme tune written for?

The edge was written for 91. Is it the same in this case?

I uploaded all the updates like I stated and the gryphon worked on my truck just fine. But I went to put it on my father’s screw.... One year older than mine and the same thing. Gave me the same code...

Now the unit won’t sync with Pegasus....

Could it be I just got a bad unit???
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Medium Pimpin'

RED4 is on a distinguished road

Jack really had the best/only solution to this.

Quote:
Anything we would suggest would be a stab in the dark and with the problems you seem to be having - I would personally wait for the man who can actually fix this for you.
Magnaflow 16616 Side Exit Exhaust
Reflex Spray-in Bed Liner
ACI Vanish Bed Cover
LED 3rd/Tails/Front Signals
35% Front Tint
Prodigy Brake Controller

Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 11:20 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

An "F1" error can mean a couple things (in order of likelihood):

1) The calibration (HEX) code was not properly identified when the unit was plugged in. In most cases this occurs when then key is not in the ON position when plugging the unit in. This can also occur if the battery is disconnected or goes dead and the unit is not properly reinitialized (disconnect, turn key ON, reconnect) when power is restored.

2) The custom files built do not match the vehicle's HEX code. This can occur if the vehicle has been reflashed since the original order was placed or the since we were notified of the HEX code.

3) For canned tuning, the PCM calibration simply isn't supported yet. This can be resolved with future updates but we need to know what the calibrations are in order to make those updates.

As far as programming, if you do not turn the key to the off position after programming (including if the programming fails with an "F1" or "Checksum" error), the vehicle will not immediately start. This is because the PCM is still in "Programming" mode. You must return to the main menu, or in some cases disconnect the unit to exit the programming mode. Then you can simply turn the key "OFF" and restart the vehicle.

The Level 3 is written for 91+ octane. If you could let me know what your HEX code is I can take a look at the file and see what the problem is. Also, what is you dad's HEX code.

Not sure what the problem is with Pegasus. What do you mean by "it won't sync"? Does the software not detect the programmer? Does it not connect with the server?

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
An "F1" error can mean a couple things (in order of likelihood):

1) The calibration (HEX) code was not properly identified when the unit was plugged in. In most cases this occurs when then key is not in the ON position when plugging the unit in. This can also occur if the battery is disconnected or goes dead and the unit is not properly reinitialized (disconnect, turn key ON, reconnect) when power is restored.

2) The custom files built do not match the vehicle's HEX code. This can occur if the vehicle has been reflashed since the original order was placed or the since we were notified of the HEX code.

3) For canned tuning, the PCM calibration simply isn't supported yet. This can be resolved with future updates but we need to know what the calibrations are in order to make those updates.

As far as programming, if you do not turn the key to the off position after programming (including if the programming fails with an "F1" or "Checksum" error), the vehicle will not immediately start. This is because the PCM is still in "Programming" mode. You must return to the main menu, or in some cases disconnect the unit to exit the programming mode. Then you can simply turn the key "OFF" and restart the vehicle.

The Level 3 is written for 91+ octane. If you could let me know what your HEX code is I can take a look at the file and see what the problem is. Also, what is you dad's HEX code.

Not sure what the problem is with Pegasus. What do you mean by "it won't sync"? Does the software not detect the programmer? Does it not connect with the server?

Take care.

Thanks for the info. There is a lot there. First off I am running the canned tunes as I have not gotten my custom tunes.

Second I figured out that the vehicle will not start until it is turned off and then back on due to some trial and error.

I wrote down all my info when it through the code. IT is as follows.

Boot: 2.63.4860
Firmware: 3.2.596
Calibration: 1.4.580
Hardware: 13
Serial #: 1574
Bodyversion: 2.50.5734

Hex on my truck: 0DAL1EW1.HEX

I can’t get my dad’s as he away right now.

As far as the unit not syncing. I’m lost there. I synced it last night to do the first update. It did small vehicle calibration update or something. I can’t remember. All those numbers are before i did the update. After the update it worked on my truck only in level 2. Didn't try level 1. It worked on my truck and turned around and wouldn't work on his truck.

The unit synced last night to do the updates but I have tried to sync again sever different times and have even uninstalled/reinstalled the software and it still won’t sync.......

I am going to go out right now and program my truck back to level 2 and see if i get any errors or anything.....
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 11:53 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintips_17 View Post
Thanks for the info. There is a lot there. First off I am running the canned tunes as I have not gotten my custom tunes.

Second I figured out that the vehicle will not start until it is turned off and then back on due to some trial and error.

I wrote down all my info when it through the code. IT is as follows.

Boot: 2.63.4860
Firmware: 3.2.596
Calibration: 1.4.580
Hardware: 13
Serial #: 1574
Bodyversion: 2.50.5734

Hex on my truck: 0DAL1EW1.HEX

I can’t get my dad’s as he away right now.

As far as the unit not syncing. I’m lost there. I synced it last night to do the first update. It did small vehicle calibration update or something. I can’t remember. All those numbers are before i did the update. After the update it worked on my truck only in level 2. Didn't try level 1. It worked on my truck and turned around and wouldn't work on his truck.

The unit synced last night to do the updates but I have tried to sync again sever different times and have even uninstalled/reinstalled the software and it still won’t sync.......

I am going to go out right now and program my truck back to level 2 and see if i get any errors or anything.....
Is it possible you tried using the Gryphon on your Dad's truck without first restoring yours to Level 0 (stock)? You can only program one truck at a time with these things, you know.

- Jack
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Is it possible you tried using the Gryphon on your Dad's truck without first restoring yours to Level 0 (stock)? You can only program one truck at a time with these things, you know.

- Jack
Nope. I know that one....

So here is an update. I went out and programmed my truck to towing. Then I let it sit while i went in to workout. Afterwards I came out and tried extreme again. Except this time I didn't change the tire size. Just hit program and let it do its thing.

This time the tune worked. So that leads me to believe that I messed up the tire sizing adjustment. But would that effect how the engine ran? I didn't even move an inch when I tried the first time.

As far as it not syncing….. I have yet to try that. I know it has the most current updates cause i updated it last night.

I think I will try it again tonight on my dad’s truck. He wants to feel the difference before he shells out for one.... He has a more stock truck so he wants to do it on his.

The gryphon canned tunes are still not hex specific? Are they?

SUPERcrew
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Canned tunes are not hex specific, and, since your truck is pre-04, I'm assuming your Dad's is too? If so, the programmer should work on either truck.

It seems to me that most of the problems I've read about concerning Edge and Gryphon programmers occur right after a firmware update. This leads me to think that there is something that is easy to do wrong in this process (but I can't think what it would be).

- Jack
Old Wed, February 25th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Let the Mud come!!!

Quote:
Canned tunes are not hex specific, and, since your truck is pre-04, I'm assuming your Dad's is too? If so, the programmer should work on either truck.

It seems to me that most of the problems I've read about concerning Edge and Gryphon programmers occur right after a firmware update. This leads me to think that there is something that is easy to do wrong in this process (but I can't think what it would be).

- Jack
I dont know. THis is my first experiance with the new 13 firmware. ALl my past edges(3 of them) were version 4.xx.xx.

I have noticed quite the changes so far. You lose a lot of menu options like data streaming and stuff.... Maybe its still there and i just havn't found it but im pretty sure i have been through all the menus.

HIs truck is an 01 set up just like mine. Except bone stock.

He must have bad luck. The first time we tried to do it on his expy a year and a half ago we learned how important it is to have good battery voltage.... One reflash and we were back on the road. LOL So then we try on his newer screw...(01) And we run into problems. I have never once had a no start, false programing, or any other issue when programing one of my f150's.

Untell now.....

All seems ot be fine now. But it still puzzles me as to why it wont work on his truck.

SUPERcrew