Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Wed, May 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
The only reason I proposed this question is the problems sml175 on f150online was having. Then I asked if he had a cai, the answer was no? Now here's the next one, can a canned tune be to lean? Or be to conservative? Or is there more info that is not forth coming?

Lars
I was wondering the same thing when I saw that posted over there. Glad to hear the answer about it from Bill also
Old Wed, May 27th, 2009, 09:03 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Default The rest of the story!

Like Paul Harvey used to say "and now the rest of the story".

Turns out sml175's problem began at the stock program level added a tuner to make it better???

The stock program was the culprit not the hand held. Kinda felt like Jack and Bill for awhile not getting all the info up front is kinda frustrating.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 27th, 2009, 09:30 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Like Paul Harvey used to say "and now the rest of the story".

Turns out sml175's problem began at the stock program level added a tuner to make it better???

The stock program was the culprit not the hand held. Kinda felt like Jack and Bill for awhile not getting all the info up front is kinda frustrating.

Lars
It IS frustrating when you're blundering around in the dark, isn't it?

But, all this discussion has brought up a question that has been in the back of my mind for a while. I guess this is to the Mad Doctor too.

If a lean problem is seen in "open loop", i.e., WOT (in most cases), would increasing the WOT fuel have any beneficial effect? I guess what I'm asking here is does an increase in WOT fuel uniformly lower the A/F ratio across the open loop table? Or, does it just somehow make more fuel (if needed) potentially available, maybe at or near max rpm?
Old Fri, May 29th, 2009, 12:51 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Open loop doesn't always have to occur at WOT. There are functions that control open loop based on a number of different factors, most particularly load.

The WOT multiplier controls how far the fuel adjustment can go in order to achieve desired AFR for peak torque. This is more of a limiter in the sense that it won't allow any fuel adjustment beyond a certain point. Outside of that, the main fuel tables are what offer final adjustment of open loop fuel while the MAF sensor provides the air mass values to the PCM so the PCM can have a base to maintain the target AFR of 14.64:1 in closed loop. Short and long term fuel trims take care of everything else.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, May 29th, 2009, 08:22 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I knew Open Loop didn't mean just WOT, but I guess I WAS confusing the two when I talked about WOT fuel, wasn't I? Sorry bout that!

Isn't there a limit of some sort on the possible adjustment available in the Closed Loop fuel trims? In other words, if things are badly out of adjustment, it may not be possible to achieve the desired A/F ratio? I seem to remember reading this somewhere.

- Jack
Old Fri, June 5th, 2009, 02:15 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

There is an allowable range for the PCM to adjust fuel trims. If trims venture beyond those limits, the CEL sets. In general, it's +/- 25%.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!