Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Bacon King

RobbyMartin is on a distinguished road
Default Throttle response?!?!

I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced a lack of throttle response similar to what turbo lag would be? When I mash the gas the truck hesitates like it has swallowed too much air and then seems to catch up with itself.
I've cleaned the MAF and air cleaner, I've replaced the DPFE, EGR, Plugs, IAC and it runs better but still hesitates. I have a Hypertech Power Programmer III installed and I'm afraid thats the issue but I don't know for sure. I DO plan to purchase the Gryphon but in the meantime I'm trying to solve this issue. Any suggestions?

2002 F150 Supercrew 4.6L (Airaid intake and 3" T-Flow exhaust and Hypertech PPIII)
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 04:56 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Throttle position sensor?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Wanna go fast

fordkindaguy is on a distinguished road

Fuel filter possibly? Take the hypertech off and run it stock, see if that resolves your lag problem. By the way, just get the gryphon either way in the end its better!
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Robby, I had the same complaint when I first got my 2005. There'd be this "pause" (what do I do now?) thing anytime I stepped on the gas to pass someone.

As soon as I applied the canned tow tune when I got my Edge (now a Gryphon), that went away. To me, that alone was worth the cost of the programmer!

Things have only gotten better with custom tunes of course.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkindaguy View Post
Fuel filter possibly? Take the hypertech off and run it stock, see if that resolves your lag problem. By the way, just get the gryphon either way in the end its better!
Yes good answer!
Forgot about that one!
Also check the fuel pressure regulator and pressure at the fuel rail.
Being you own a 97-03 you have a cable TB and when I had mine I never had any lag.

Lars

Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Yes good answer!
Forgot about that one!
Also check the fuel pressure regulator and pressure at the fuel rail.
Being you own a 97-03 you have a cable TB and when I had mine I never had any lag.

Lars
I forgot to mention that I replaced the fuel filter as well and that didn't cure the problem.
A few years ago I replaced the fuel pump and that didn't change anything either but what I did notice was the fuel gauge reading would change. I used to get about 200 miles or more at half tank and now I'm lucky to get 175. At empty, i am lucky to get 290-300 when i used to get 325-335. What could be the problem?

As far as the Gryphon, I use my truck as a daily driver and I want throttle response and fuel economy. I rarely tow but if I do it's about 2500 lbs. or less. I never have a need to race it since its lifted with 35" tires. With that being said, what tunes should be purchased with a Gryphon?
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You probably need only the 87 octane performance/economy tune. You've pretty much defined what you're looking for in the tune with your post. It's probably pretty close to what I asked for: Good highway passing performance and any improvement possible on gas mileage.

However, since you've got the big tires, you've effectively reduced your gear ratio. I wonder if Bill could write a custom tow tune that would help you even when you're towing THOSE loads? Since tunes are only $30, seems like maybe a reasonable question to ask him.

- Jack
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMartin View Post
I forgot to mention that I replaced the fuel filter as well and that didn't cure the problem.
A few years ago I replaced the fuel pump and that didn't change anything either but what I did notice was the fuel gauge reading would change. I used to get about 200 miles or more at half tank and now I'm lucky to get 175. At empty, i am lucky to get 290-300 when i used to get 325-335. What could be the problem?

As far as the Gryphon, I use my truck as a daily driver and I want throttle response and fuel economy. I rarely tow but if I do it's about 2500 lbs. or less. I never have a need to race it since its lifted with 35" tires. With that being said, what tunes should be purchased with a Gryphon?
When you lifted the truck and put the big rubbers on is that when you noticed the decrease in mpg's?
Big tires=-mpgs
Regearing can get some of the mpgs back, but not all of them.
What the gearing on the truck now?
And definately a custom tune will help.

Lars

Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
When you lifted the truck and put the big rubbers on is that when you noticed the decrease in mpg's?
Big tires=-mpgs
Regearing can get some of the mpgs back, but not all of them.
What the gearing on the truck now?
And definately a custom tune will help.

Lars
Lars,
I have 4.56 gears in the truck now and I recovered a little mileage but it seems as though I am losing more miles to the tank since I replaced the fuel pump.

I have the Hypertech PP III that has taken the tire size and gears into account to adjust the speedo. I have noticed the difference with and without the programmer but from what I'm hearing, the Hypertech can't even touch the coat tails of the Gryphon.

Should I use the canned tunes or what other tunes should I get?
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMartin View Post
Lars,
I have 4.56 gears in the truck now and I recovered a little mileage but it seems as though I am losing more miles to the tank since I replaced the fuel pump.

I have the Hypertech PP III that has taken the tire size and gears into account to adjust the speedo. I have noticed the difference with and without the programmer but from what I'm hearing, the Hypertech can't even touch the coat tails of the Gryphon.

Should I use the canned tunes or what other tunes should I get?
I'm not Lars, but I take back what I said about the tow tune. The gearing you've got on your truck has made towing your loads easy, even with the big tires.

I think all you need is an 87 performance/economy tune. I think you'll probably see better mileage and performance compared to the Hypertech.

- Jack