Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Mon, March 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Whopper

98infinity is on a distinguished road
Tune question

Going to buy just a question first, everything on my truck is stock, just have the lift and 315/75/16 tires. Question is I want the stock tranny only tune, 87 custom performance tune and 91 custom performance tune. is this a good idea? I mostly run 87 octane up here in Canada gas price is high that is why. Thanks!
Old Wed, March 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

As long as you're not doing any heavy towing, I think you'll be quite happy with those two programs. In fact, many customers don't even go with a 91 or 93 performance simply because of fuel prices and opt to go with just the 87 performance. If 91 octane is something you simply don't plan on running, there's no reason to blow an extra $30.00. However, if you do want to run high octane, you'll be pleased at the difference between canned and custom.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Whopper

With the stock tunes or customs is there a chance over stock to mess up the engine or tranny? You guys Im guessing wouldnt let that happen...Just a question, some people are telling me a tune is bad news to just leave it stock...mostly ford lol
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I guess any time you increase the power output of an engine, there's always the possibility of stressing marginal components to the point of damage. However, it has been our experience that properly tuned programmers and chips do not have any adverse effect on durability of service life of the drivetrain. We've had customers with tunes for over 100,000 miles with zero problems with their trucks.

As for Ford, most often their stance is to avoid performance products but that is simply a way to avoid warranty hassles. Quite often, dealerships will sell programmers, CAIs, and even supercharger kits and still support the factory warranty. It's just that they want to have control over what's being sold. Their want their piece of the pie, so to speak.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, April 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Double Whopper

SDRANGER619 is on a distinguished road

Hey 98Infinity,

Did you get the programmer after all? You and I are running the same truck, except i have a CAI. Let me know how it works out.
Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Whopper

yo man hows it going, I haven't been on ORR in forever. Im getting an AEM brute force soon then I should be buying a programmer from here...I would really want a tranny temp tho on it but its coming soon.