Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > The Starting Point > Events

Events If you have a truck/automotive event happening in your area, please let everyone know.

Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
Default Planning a very small event. I have some questions.

I'm planning a very small local event. If it's here, it has to be small .

A friend of mine owns the local NAPA store and he's very respected around here. The NAPA is regarded as the "hang out" for all the farmers, contractors, and industrial-oriented folks in the county. My wife had the idea of having a BBQ deal that would last a few hours where people could come in and get a feel for what I do regarding 7.3L tuning.

My problem is that I don't exactly know what to do. Sure, a table with the computer and all of the hardware is nice (and a given ) but what else can I do? I have put a few tri-fold fliers out in a couple places and they really don't move that well. Printing out actual graphs and presenting them on the table should help but as I have come to realize, most people don't understand Greek. Would it help having actual customers' trucks present? How about the customers themselves?

Do I do demonstrations or do I simply make claims? I know that I should bring spare chips and all of the equipment to do installs just in case but what do I tell people if I sell them all? I don't like to disappoint......

I'm kind of freaked out about this. I KNOW that selling what I have put a lot of time, effort, and money into is what I want to do....I NEED to do, but I'm kind of nervous about the whole deal.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I think the idea of "full color graphs", with headlines like: "This is what you gain!" are a very good idea. You also have "takehome versions" for the ones who want to "think it over". Too bad you can't have a "dyno" to show "before-after" comparisons.

Can you get some "testimonials" to display if you can't get former customers to show up? I think having one or two trucks present is a good idea (yours of course will do). You want to show the installation (and how easy it is).

Sure, you can do demos. You can demo the "whisper mode" very easily I'd think. You could also demo "smoke show" if you want. If someone had an "untuned truck", you COULD do a side-by-side comparison of pulling power if you had something REALLY heavy to pull, I'd think.

I think you try to sell what you bring, and if you run out, take a deposit (maybe 10%?) with a promise that you will deliver "on or about some future date". You'd need the "contract forms" there for this of course.

I may have some of the details wrong here, but remember, you're "selling yourself". Be confident and sure of your product! It's easy for me to see you know what you're doing, make sure everyone else does too.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 11:15 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

PM Neal(Dixie Design) or contact him through Idea Anglers. This sounds right up his alley.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I think the idea of "full color graphs", with headlines like: "This is what you gain!" are a very good idea. You also have "takehome versions" for the ones who want to "think it over". Too bad you can't have a "dyno" to show "before-after" comparisons.
Maybe get someone who is good with a camera to video a dyno with the truck set to stock and then each power setting. I dont know if they show speeds and times but if that could be in the video that would be good. Putting numbers with a real-time visual is very appealing to a customer looking for performance. You could also use that information to graph the power gains because every time someone sees the video, they are watching the data get collected, no way to fake that like I've seen others do on similar graphs. I could sell tons of Gryphons over here with just little bits of data I logged and put into graphs.

Quote:
Can you get some "testimonials" to display if you can't get former customers to show up? I think having one or two trucks present is a good idea (yours of course will do). You want to show the installation (and how easy it is).

Sure, you can do demos. You can demo the "whisper mode" very easily I'd think. You could also demo "smoke show" if you want. If someone had an "untuned truck", you COULD do a side-by-side comparison of pulling power if you had something REALLY heavy to pull, I'd think.
that is a definite 'need to do'.
Quote:
I may have some of the details wrong here, but remember, you're "selling yourself". Be confident and sure of your product!
That is totaly true.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 09:11 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Thank you for the input, guys.

I have a lot of preparation to do and I plan on giving away hats and decals once they're done.

I've been feverishly working on tunes for my truck so I can use it as a demo while pulling my 6-horse trailer. I think I can get a few folks to demo some power tunes for me, but I have yet to get any concrete attendees so far. It's going to happen next spring, but I have a long way to go as far as preparation goes.

I'll keep you up to date on any ideas I might have.