Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Whopper Junior

irishtuna is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon CS Experience so far

Hey all,

Just got the Gryphon CTS today and figured id tell everyone how things went up to now. First off I have a 97 f150 4.6L 4x4. Stock except for gotts mod, but saving up for underdrive pulley and eFan. FYI for all reading this has nothing to do with service or quality of PHP.

I guess the first caution i would give anyone now is make sure that the dealer reflashs the PCM back to stock if you buy a used vehicle. Apparently the previous owner already tuned mine. I bought it from a dealer about 10 years ago so it is what it is. After first hooking up the Gryphon and entering the VIN, letting the Gryphon do its thing I was all excited. But................I got the "Non stock tune error" I updated the Gryphon thru fusion tried it again, same issue.

Finally after another update and program try, i decided to call Edge. They said it looked like it was already tuned previously, had me upload every file in the world to fusion. Not really but it did take 30 min or so to get it all uploaded. I happened to be lucky enough to call at 6.00 PM Central, they close (and the engineers leave) at 4.00PM mountain.

So i leave sunday for about three weeks, and have to wait until i get back to talk to the engineers and figure out what they want to do. Not that big of a deal over all since i will be gone for a while anyway, but i was excited to try it out. So just so everyone knows, im not "complaining" or asking for help just sharing. I'd be willing to mess with it if someone has a suggestion, but just for fun. I will update in a few weeks with what ever solution resolves the issue.

PS.. I will take some help on installing the dash pod. I like to think i am mechanically inclined but it REALLY seams like there is no way this pod is meant for my year. I can take pics if anyone thinks it will help.
Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 08:33 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I can't really help with anything but the dash pod, upload a picture or two, it is possible that you got the wrong pod for your truck, I have had both the 97-03 pods and the 04-08 pods and I know for certain that they wont fit the wrong truck. I have a few pictures of my old pod, for my 01 F-150 I used to own, loaded in my profile in my only album, so you could also look at that, if the dash or the pod look different than what you are seeing in the picture then you got the wrong pod. :/
good luck!
Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM
Whopper Junior

I can tell from your pics that they aren't the same. Seems like an obvious part difference. I uploaded mine just so any potential buyers can see the difference also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-04-22_20-43-17_99.jpg (22.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-04-22_20-43-23_939.jpg (24.4 KB, 7 views)
Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Yup, yours go to my year truck, not yours... Where did you get it from? PHP will definitely replace that with one that fits your truck, I would email Corey asap to get the correct one shipped, knowing them it will be in the mail on Monday, and they will probably send a return label as well so you can return the one you have.
Glad we got that cleared up
For the other thing, I thought about it, and I know Bill can reset your truck to a stock tune, but it might take the old, original, Gryphon to do it. He has a lot more play with the software of that one versus the newer Cs and CTS. I think there is a cost to do that though, but it may be the same as Edge's cost, or not, Ive never had to do it.
But like I said, call or email, or both, Corey or Bill, or both, and they will set you straight
Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 10:02 PM
Whopper Junior

Yeah I'll just call them and swap them out, hopefully they will send the right on first and I will do some side by side pics to post for anyone else looking for the difference between the pods.

Regarding the stock tune, Ill at least wait to see what edge says. Like I said I'll be gone for 3 weeks or so, so it isn't that big of a deal anyway. The service rep made it sound like the "engineers" should be able to look at the files I uploaded and make some changes thru fusion and use the Gryphon to reflash. But I will have to wait. Although, now i wonder, if it was tuned before, will i see any diff at all.....................till i get the custom tunes. Another wait and see i guess.

Tags
cnab0dz, error, non stock