Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Towing

Towing This forum is specifically for questions, comments, or ideas about towing with your vehicle.

Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Whopper

JFolmar is on a distinguished road
Default max towing capacity for 87 performance

i have a 2001 f150 supercrew. how much can i tow on 87 performance. or should i just put it back into can tune 87 tow???

Gryphon-87 Performance
Magnaflow SI/SO
K&N FIPK GEN2 Intake
Westin Bull bar
Lightning Taillights
Eagle Deck Lid
15% Tint
285/70 Firestone Destination AT's
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

You shouldn't go above about 2,500 lbs. with a performance program on a Gryphon. If it's above that, then yes... I would definitely switch back to the canned tow program.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFolmar View Post
i have a 2001 f150 supercrew. how much can i tow on 87 performance. or should i just put it back into can tune 87 tow???

#2500.
Don't really know if this includes payload also.
GC beat me to it!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, July 9th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Native American Redneck

TXWolf is on a distinguished road

Is there a weight limit on a Gryphon custom tow tune?

2008 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
5.4L - 4.88 Gears
PHP Gryphon Programmer - BDS 6" Lift - Magnaflow Dual Exhaust - JLT Ram Air Intake - 20" Pacer Ridgeline Rims with 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs Tires - Westin BullBar with Driving Lights
Old Thu, July 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Whatever the max tow is for the individual truck.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Thu, July 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXWolf View Post
Is there a weight limit on a Gryphon custom tow tune?
And, TX, in your case, you would want Bill to know that you are pulling a HEAVY load, so he can optimize the tow tune for it. Your trailer will have a spec sheet that lists the unloaded vehicle weight as well as the weight added when you fill the fresh water tanks and have full propane cylinders. (You're probably mostly going to pull that thing into "civilized" campgrounds where freshwater is available, so you may want to leave those tanks empty). You'll need to add a bit of weight for whatever else you put into the trailer too, such as food and clothing. So, DO let Bill know what the actual approximate towed weight of the trailer is, when you ask for a custom tow tune.

- Jack
Old Thu, July 9th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Native American Redneck

TXWolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
And, TX, in your case, you would want Bill to know that you are pulling a HEAVY load, so he can optimize the tow tune for it. Your trailer will have a spec sheet that lists the unloaded vehicle weight as well as the weight added when you fill the fresh water tanks and have full propane cylinders. (You're probably mostly going to pull that thing into "civilized" campgrounds where freshwater is available, so you may want to leave those tanks empty). You'll need to add a bit of weight for whatever else you put into the trailer too, such as food and clothing. So, DO let Bill know what the actual approximate towed weight of the trailer is, when you ask for a custom tow tune.

- Jack
Unfortunately, Bill's already written a custom tow tune. At the time that I upgraded to the Gryphon, I didn't know that I would be pulling a big travel trailer. I think that I talked/emailed with Corey, and at the time a boat was the biggest thing that I was towing.

2008 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
5.4L - 4.88 Gears
PHP Gryphon Programmer - BDS 6" Lift - Magnaflow Dual Exhaust - JLT Ram Air Intake - 20" Pacer Ridgeline Rims with 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs Tires - Westin BullBar with Driving Lights
Old Wed, July 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

TX, I think you need to get a custom tow tune for that weight! If you have not already loaded the one Bill wrote, (and you may have told me, but I forgot), the canned tow tune would be much better for you.

You need to check this thread out: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ead.php?t=1314 and, talk to 408F150 and 06KingRanch. They have similar towing requirements.

I'd love it if you all could discuss this out in the open, so we all can see it, rather than in PMs. I think there's a lot to be learned.

And, I'm going to see about starting a "Towing" forum. If it flies, I'll probably move all this to the new forum.

Edit: The new forum is set up and this is there.

- Jack

Last edited by Jackpine; Wed, July 15th, 2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Moved to new forum.
Old Thu, July 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Double Whopper

408F150 is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert on custom tuning but I'd imagine there are some major differences in regards to TC locking and shift firmness that would be a substantial change from performance to towing tunes. If it's any help, I towed my trailer at about 7800# this last weekend on a canned Evo 87 tow tune and it handled a 3 mile very, very steep grade pretty well. TFT hit around 208, which is on the hotter side but it was around a 10% uphill grade at around 15mph on a windy mountain road. I'm hoping that once I get mine upgraded and custom tuned it will be even better. Case in point, canned tune isn't perfect but it will get you by until you can have a custom one written for you.
Old Fri, July 17th, 2009, 11:32 AM
PHP Groupie

My guess is, you were not driving very fast up this 10% incline, were you, 408f150? Did you have the transmission locked in 1st gear? Can you recall what your RPMs were?

- Jack