Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > Super Duty & Excursion (Gasoline)

Super Duty & Excursion (Gasoline) 5.4L & 6.8L equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, December 29th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough
Default 2003 F-350 V10 with leveling kit and 35" tires

So my dad has a 2003 F-350 with the V10, a leveling kit and 35" tires, a K&N CAI and I believe a flowmaster muffler. He uses it as a DD in the winter because of the snow in utah, and we tow a 22' boat a few times a summer, usually not too far, but up to 300 miles a trip each way. I know that he would love to get better gas mileage and he would not mind having more power for driving and towing, so i was wondering what he can do that is relatively cheap(we both are pretty cheap) that will help this... Ive searched a bit on the forums here and on a lot of F-150 forums(thats what i own! ), and ive seen a lot of things to do, from a Gryphon(which i also own! ) to changing the gear ratio's so if anyone has any advice then please let me know so i can pass it on. Also a price estimate would be great as well! Also any advice on how to convince him to get a Gryphon would be amazing! :P
Also just another thought, i have PM'd Corey twice about my Gryphon mount in my truck, I am currently using paper wedged in there to keep it in the black plastic mount , and i am sure that there is a better way. I have seen what looks like a seal around the edge and also a back plate for the programmer, neither were included when i got my Gryphon. Any help would be great!
Sorry that this is a 2 question thread, but i figured y'all's could handle it.
Old Fri, January 1st, 2010, 12:14 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The gains on the V10 are fairly similar to those on the 5.4L. The only difference is about an extra 6-8 Ft. Lbs. of torque. Mileage gains are about 1 to 1.5 MPG and there's a nice low to mid RPM bump. Top end on those engines is somewhat lacking, mostly due to cam profile, but you don't by a V10 to be a high RPM screamer so it's not a big deal.

As for the mounting pod, the programmer should fit in pretty snugly. Those particular pods don't use the gasket like the later pods do, as they are form fit to the programmer. If don't mind, could you please take a photo of the pod so we can get some sort of idea what wrong?

As to what method to use to sell "pop" on the programmer? Fuel economy gains are usually a good approach, along with the monitoring and adjustment (tire size, etc) capabilities.

I hope this helps. Have a happy New Year!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Grown-up in training!

Default Gryphon Mount

Here is pictures, i also put them on an album, im not entirely sure how to upload them here or if i did it right. let me know what you find. and i talked to my dad about the programmer, and he said that he is debating on buying a new vehicle right now, and if he keeps the truck then he will probably get one. i will for sure let you know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0102001051.jpg (24.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 0102001052.jpg (25.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 0102001053.jpg (30.2 KB, 12 views)
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 05:36 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Caleb,

The pod you are using has been modified (cut) and that is the reason that your programmer is not fitting properly. If look at the attached photo compared to your photos, you'll see that the entire back support for the programmer has been removed and this is why the programmer doesn't stay in the pod. Any particular reason why the backing was removed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9703_f150_pod_white_bkg_1024x768.jpg (27.9 KB, 8 views)

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, January 3rd, 2010, 11:01 PM
Grown-up in training!

Bill,
I got the pod just how it is when I ordered it from you a few months ago. I doubt you sent it that way on purpose or anything, but what you see is what I got. I still have the box you sent it in as well and there are no pieces or anything left. I sent at least one email and one PM to your wife and didn't get any response about it until I started this thread. Let me know what you think we can do about this, and i can ship the old one back to you too if you want to see it. the thing that surprises me a little is it looks to me like it was almost made that way, or the mold ran out of plastic when it was being made because the edges are not rough from what I can tell. Again I'm sorry to be a bother and I understand that you are busy so let me know what you figure out.
Old Mon, January 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Caleb,

If you want to send the pod back to us, we'll see if Edge will exchange it.

The first e-mail and PM I have from you regarding the pod is from December, but your programmer arrived October 30. Can you please tell me when you sent the first PM about the pod because if I have to fight with Edge, they're going to want me to produce a paper trail.

Thank you.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Mon, January 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Grown-up in training!

Corey and Bill,
I first sent an email asking a few things on the 2nd of November, I have my hex code and stuff in that email, and I asked about the mount as well. I sent another asking about it on the 8th of December, and the same day I started a thread asking about when my tunes would be ready. I sent the PM on the 11th of December, and I started this thread on the 28th of December. I hope this helps. If you want I can resend the emails so you have a copy. Thanks for helping and I know this is not fun to deal with.
Old Mon, January 4th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Let me see if Bill still has his copies before you have to go looking through all your sent e-mails. I'll let you know if he does.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Mon, January 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Grown-up in training!

I have Gmail so searching for them is a snap. I found them in about 20 seconds last time. I will forward them again just to make sure you have the records. Also I will ship the mount asap so you can talk with EDGE and see what happened.
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

You're a doll. Thanks a bunch. I'll get a replacement out to you as soon as I can, Caleb.

Can't wait to see what Edge has to say about it.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019