Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford - All Other Vehicles > 1973 to 1985 Carburated Vehicles

1973 to 1985 Carburated Vehicles Emissions laden vehicles, but still simple enough to work on and we still love 'em!

Old Sun, April 18th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone Want To Help Rebuild My AFB?

Its a Carter AFB, and I'd like to rebuild it, but I don't know the first thing about where to start, or how to tune it when I'm done...

Anyone know any tips? Or where to get a good rebuild kit?
Old Mon, April 19th, 2010, 02:07 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

First bit of advice.
Find a good auto parts store that has some carb junkies working there and ask for their advice.
You may want to bring the carb with you. Try to clean it so numbers can be read.
Once you find yourself a kit.
Find a nice clean 4x3 area to work in make sure its well ventilated also. Keep a pad of paper handy to write info down on.
You'll also need to find some 9x13 cake pans to soak parts in. Don't use your families cooking ones either. I usually get the aluminum use once ones.
Rags.
Carb cleaner.
Tooth brushes.
Pick tools.
Small screw drivers.
Gasoline.
Read through instructions before breaking open the pack that the parts are in.
I don't know what more to tell you.
I've done a lot of carbs so I always have to see it before giving advice, besides the basics.
JMHO
Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, April 19th, 2010, 02:58 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

It is always helpful to lay parts out in order removed, easy to forget the order of a bunch of little tiny parts. Also a small magnifying glass can be nice when inspecting parts for wear.

If the carb still has the factory plugs that are used to block off the mixture screws it is a good idea to remove them while it is out.

I have never tuned a carb without a gas analyzer, but if you can read a spark plug you should be able to figure out what needs to be done.

Good Luck
Old Tue, June 15th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Whopper

osprey is on a distinguished road

Not only are the above posts great advice, but I'll give you the one I use constantly with regard to carbs: I always have two paper plates marked 'P' for primary side parts and one marked 'S' for secondary side parts.

The Carter AFB is now known as an Edelbrock carb. They are relatively easy to rebuild IF you take your time, and have a GOOD set of instructions. Just make sure you keep everything organized from start to finish, and you should be fine.
Old Wed, June 16th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys! I'm going to undertake this soon. The motor's been sitting for about 6 years with the CCV breather off... Think I need to rebuild the motor or just try it? I guess I could pull the VC and just clean up any dust/cobwebs in there. It's not locked up. I know that.
Old Fri, July 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Double Whopper

mod11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
Thanks guys! I'm going to undertake this soon. The motor's been sitting for about 6 years with the CCV breather off... Think I need to rebuild the motor or just try it? I guess I could pull the VC and just clean up any dust/cobwebs in there. It's not locked up. I know that.
Clean the cobwebs ,fresh oil and fuel and let her rip.That afb is pretty simple,after rebuild turn your air/fuel mixture screwss all the way in and then two and a quarter back out.Thats rule of thumb base setting.Adjust from there.What vehicle/motor is this going on?
Old Sat, July 10th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Whopper

WD40 is on a distinguished road

Do what everyone said plus take pictures as you take it apart, because the dog could come in, or one of the kids just might say Daddy, what's this????

Things that can make a big man cry.

Doug
Old Sat, July 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I used to rebuild automatic transmissions. I have certain ones down to a fine art. I had a guy add an extra check ball one time to my pile for a 4L60E......

It was hard not to call him on it before I even began putting the bottom side together. It was that obvious just sticking to the magnet. That's sad.

I have heard other stories of guys adding extra carburetor parts to a rebuild being performed by someone else.......vicious.
Old Sat, July 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

I like tossing in a few random bolts to a co-workers magnet tray, and watching him try to find where they were suppose to go..........lol

I will fess up to it later so he can sleep at night.
Old Tue, November 2nd, 2010, 02:29 AM
Whopper Junior

1979broncofavel is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone Want To Help Rebuild My AFB?

that's hilarious!!