Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Old Sun, May 30th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

martinoledad is on a distinguished road

so in other words if im going to do one of those upgrades i might as well do all of them. How much extra power do you think i can get with the extra tuning. It says around 100 HP with out the tuning.

40 series Flowmasters, K@N CAI, Jet MAF, Troyer Under Drive Pulleys, Stainless Works Longtube headers/Hi Flow CATS w/X-pipe, Ram Air Hood G-Force, SCT X3 programmer with custom tunes
Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 05:14 PM
semper fi

jmt0645 is on a distinguished road

if your gonna do it, may as well be right the first time.
most of the HP claims assume ported heads/valves, on stock heads a more realistic number is ~70HP. also, most claims are not "peak" gains.
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 12:37 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Seriously.
The best bang for your buck would be a supercharger.
JMHO

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM
semper fi

jmt0645 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Seriously.
The best bang for your buck would be a supercharger.
JMHO
agreed, i just don't have that kind of money at the moment
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt0645 View Post
agreed, i just don't have that kind of money at the moment
Neither do I!

Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 03:25 PM

my goal is to get as much power without losing gas mileage.

40 series Flowmasters, K@N CAI, Jet MAF, Troyer Under Drive Pulleys, Stainless Works Longtube headers/Hi Flow CATS w/X-pipe, Ram Air Hood G-Force, SCT X3 programmer with custom tunes
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt0645 View Post
both are "modular" motors, block/heads/cams/cranks, all can be interchanged
Interchangable=yes.
Component compatible=no
Certain things will need to be exchanged like intakes to make it work.

Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM
2009KR

freeman.public is on a distinguished road

Increasing your cam duration / lift will move your torque curve up in the RPM band thus raising your HP. It will certainly reduce your mileage. High-duration cams have a longer period with the intake and exhaust valves both open. It drops cylinder pressure and wastes gas as the fuel/air mixture flows from your intake to exhaust when both valves are open. This flushes out the exhaust gases from your cylinder, resulting in more power. You will also need to ensure that the rest of your components match your cam if you change it dramatically (head ports, valve size, intake runner length, header length, injector size, computer program, gearing, torque converter slip, etc.) I would be careful about making a large change in cam design in a modern engine.
Old Wed, June 2nd, 2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman.public View Post
Increasing your cam duration / lift will move your torque curve up in the RPM band thus raising your HP. It will certainly reduce your mileage. High-duration cams have a longer period with the intake and exhaust valves both open. It drops cylinder pressure and wastes gas as the fuel/air mixture flows from your intake to exhaust when both valves are open. This flushes out the exhaust gases from your cylinder, resulting in more power. You will also need to ensure that the rest of your components match your cam if you change it dramatically (head ports, valve size, intake runner length, header length, injector size, computer program, gearing, torque converter slip, etc.) I would be careful about making a large change in cam design in a modern engine.
Thanks, If i understand what you are saying this isnt the way to go for what im tring to do.

Old Wed, June 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman.public View Post
can this be helped by custom tuning.