Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Wed, February 1st, 2012, 06:22 PM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road
Default Gotts a rattle

Hi everyone. Hope all is well with you all. I have finally completed all the mods I will be doing on my truck. The last on my list was retro fitting a set of HID projectors. Now its time to start back at the beginning and begin fixing things. Which brings me to my problem. I have the Gotts mod and am very happy with it. But a few months ago it developed a significant rattle. At first it only did it when at low rpm and accelerating. Now it does it almost all the time. I tried to goop some silicone around where the abs pipe goes into the fender and it worked for a while but its back again and worse than ever. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? I'm thinking about trying some butyl calking instead of silicone but its messy stuff so if anyone else has any suggestions I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks

Joe

07 F150 4x4 Super Cab Long box. 5.4L, Gotts mod, Flex-a-lite Monster efan, Dynatech long tube headers, true dual exhaust with x pipe and Borla mufflers, and of course the Gryphon. Bushwhacker extend a fender flares, Tech tube wheel to wheel step bars, Piaa HID Shock Lamp moose spotting lights. Morimoto projector retrofit with 55W HIDs.
Old Thu, February 2nd, 2012, 06:36 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Can you post a picture? It might be easier just to get a new pipe but make it a little bigger so it has to wedged in harder.
Old Mon, February 6th, 2012, 08:33 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Can you post a picture? It might be easier just to get a new pipe but make it a little bigger so it has to wedged in harder.
X2!.....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, February 6th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Double Whopper

superdutynick is on a distinguished road

You could also line the hole in the fender wall with a rubber gromet to form a nice tight fit, as well as providing some vibration dampening.

McMaster-Carr has a variety of seals that could be used as gromets McMaster-Carr
Old Mon, February 6th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Forum Predator

I forgot to add the picture until now. On this post I have a really good picture of what I made.

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/resou...html#post34493
Old Mon, February 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Double Whopper

jmwilso2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I'll post a pic of it tomorow. The pipe fit nice and tight when it was first installed and had no rattle. I think its just been the constant vibration and movement from being attached to an engine that has gradually worn it loose. I dont really want to replace the pipe every couple years. So Im leaning towared Nicks rubber grommet idea. Thats kind of what I was hoping to achieve with the silicone but it didnt hold I guess.

07 F150 4x4 Super Cab Long box. 5.4L, Gotts mod, Flex-a-lite Monster efan, Dynatech long tube headers, true dual exhaust with x pipe and Borla mufflers, and of course the Gryphon. Bushwhacker extend a fender flares, Tech tube wheel to wheel step bars, Piaa HID Shock Lamp moose spotting lights. Morimoto projector retrofit with 55W HIDs.
Old Mon, February 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Forum Predator

Here's another tip. The flexible pipe coupler doesn't need to be cranked tight onto the pipe. If it is able to slide a little bit then it wont cause the pipe to deform.