Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 11:41 AM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Excellent work people. I am working on a tech section on my website and would like your permission to post this up Jack, and anyone else that would be willing to have it posted. Thanks. I just removed the snorkel and left it open in the engine compartment.

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopellimotorsports View Post
Excellent work people. I am working on a tech section on my website and would like your permission to post this up Jack, and anyone else that would be willing to have it posted. Thanks. I just removed the snorkel and left it open in the engine compartment.
Feel free to post anything I've talked about kokopelli - It's NOT copyrighted and it wasn't even my idea. Just my implementation. I've also added an album in my "Albums" on this forum that shows this mod and I've included dimensions in the captions. You may want to look at that too.

I wonder if removing the snorkel and leaving the intake open in the engine compartment is a good idea though? Wouldn't that tend to draw "warm" (less dense) air into the engine, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of an improved intake?

- Jack
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Feel free to post anything I've talked about kokopelli - It's NOT copyrighted and it wasn't even my idea. Just my implementation. I've also added an album in my "Albums" on this forum that shows this mod and I've included dimensions in the captions. You may want to look at that too.

I wonder if removing the snorkel and leaving the intake open in the engine compartment is a good idea though? Wouldn't that tend to draw "warm" (less dense) air into the engine, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of an improved intake?

- Jack
Thanks for the info. I will check out your Album.

As far as the hot air, this probably could be an issue, but most cold air intakes set their filter right in the compartment. Though I do agree with the logic of colder denser air. With your write up I will probably do much the same as you.

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopellimotorsports View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check out your Album.

As far as the hot air, this probably could be an issue, but most cold air intakes set their filter right in the compartment. Though I do agree with the logic of colder denser air. With your write up I will probably do much the same as you.
Some of the pictures I've seen show the filter in a kind of "box" that looks like it's there to isolate the intake area somewhat from the engine heat. It's also possible that when moving, the whole thing is a moot point anyway due to the airflow through the engine compartment (as long as you keep the intake away from the flow through the radiator).

- Jack
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 12:44 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Again, when I get questions about leaving the end of the tube open, I always end up going back to the 60's & 70's cars that had air cleaners with the snorkel that barely made it past the valve covers.

From a performance aspect, cooler air is always more desirable than warmer air. Although, like Jack, I wonder just how much warmer the air really is getting in the intake tube when blasting along at 70 MPH. This would be an easy thing to validate since the programmers have ACT in the PIDS. If it was less than 10º difference, I'd wonder just how necessary it really is to complete the tube connection to the fender.

As for CAIs, there's no question they're drawing some amount of warm air from under the hood. Again, a quick check of the ACT before and after installing will give you the final word.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Not a Whopper

kd4crs is on a distinguished road

Hey Bill, did you get the write-up I emailed you? I did not see a response. Sometimes I wonder if my Hotmail account emails I send don't get eaten by the spam filters.
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Sorry about that... I am still weeding through e-mails. I did see the one from you but just haven't had a chance to open it and read through it.

We'll get it up along with Jack's and AO's pictures so people can have some nice options to the much expensive CAI kits.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Not a Whopper

kd4crs is on a distinguished road

No problem, just wanted to be sure it didn't get lost in the ether. Thanks for offering to publish it.
Old Fri, January 30th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Bacon King

bbbxcursion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Really? I don't remember doing that... All I said was that someone was going to come to your house and replace your Excursion with a 6.2L Suburban. Talk about misleading!
Atleast it would move under it's own power....
Old Fri, January 30th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Double Whopper

Extreme Justice will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Jack,

As for the tuning, you should have no problems with your calibrations at all. Since you are not changing anything in relation to the MAF sensor, everything should be perfectly content once the STF and LTF trims relearn. Relearn could take a day or two depending on your driving.

For what it's worth, the one I did on the 2006 at Edge looked dead like yours.
So Bill what your saying is that we wouldn't have to get NEW TUNES for this Mod? Not like we would if we bought a CAI off the shelf.

Tags
dwv intake mod