Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

2008 to 2010 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty

Old Sat, January 3rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
Big J

jasfaa is on a distinguished road
Default Gauge selection

Bill,

Is it possible to add gauge requests? The one gauge I would like to have if possible on this 08 is an oil pressure gauge. I am not sure if it is even monitored but I would be surprised if it wasn't. Its too bad that Ford doesn't give you the gauge to begin with.
Old Sun, January 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

If you have an oil light, then the oil pressure IS monitored, at least as far as safe/unsafe pressure. But, I'd expect there to be a true pressure sender in the engine, just like you think.

And, I think an oil pressure gauge is a great idea. I'm pretty sure Bill can add features like this, as long as it's something that is seen by the PCM.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, January 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Oil pressure is not part of the OBD-II monitoring, so that's out. As it is, Ford has done away with EOT sensors on the later vehicles. Disappointing to say the least.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, January 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Big J

Thanks Bill. What a bummer but not for PHP but Ford. What are they thinking? I have read on other blogs that these 6.4's can be completely empty before the idiot light comes on. I will have to look into finding an alternative for this. I would like to have this as a gauge or something that can be monitored and now that I know the OBD II is out, we will have to look elsewhere.
Old Sun, January 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

It is sad. Apparently nobody seems to think that oil pressure is very important. I guess to the ECM, it's not a critical function in fuel or timing calculations so they don't use it. I know some used to monitor it some time back, but it was more of an on/off thing, not an actual value. Either you had pressure or you didn't and if you didn't, the vehicle would go into limp mode or shut down completely.

You're right about the "idiot light" pressure and temp gauges on most late model vehicles. They do not have a direct 1:1 scaling. The "Normal" middle point is actually anywhere from 130 degrees to about 225 degrees for ECT, 110 to 240 degrees for TFT, and I have no idea what the pressure is but I'd bet it doesn't budge until the pressure hits ZERO. Useless in my opinion.

Maybe one day the manufacturers will get it right.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, January 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Big J

I suppose the gauge could be when the 6.4 starts to sound like the 7.3 (what a diesel should sound like) then you should check the oil.

I guess this will just be one more reason that I change my oil at less than 5000 and 5000 being the far end of where I like to be. I really like to start grabbing parts for the oil change around 3000. Oh well, Ford Engineering at its best.
Old Sun, January 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Trouble is, can't the oil pump fail even though you are "full up" on oil and have even recently changed it? I guess though, then the idiot light would come on. I can monitor oil temperature in my truck, is this possible in yours? I guess though, just rereading Bills first post, that's even gone.

- Jack
Old Mon, January 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Big J

Yes thats true but constant changes and monitoring of the oil can help diagnose future issues. I still think Ford expects you to know the difference between a diesel knock and the lack of oil knock.
Old Mon, January 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Double Whopper

MercedesTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
It is sad.

but I'd bet it doesn't budge until the pressure hits ZERO. Useless in my opinion.

Maybe one day the manufacturers will get it right.
Sad being an understatement !

Betcha your right on this one. Mercedes now has sensors for oil condition. It will allow longer intervals between oil changes, if the oil is in good condition. Checks viscosity (sp?) metal and other chemical contamination, all while your driving down the road. Since they have installed these types of sensors, they have done away with dipsticks. Yup, can't check your damn oil manually. You can click through the "on dash" menu in your instrument cluster. It lights up all pretty, and tells you oil levels and blah blah blah.

They now need to develope a sensor for this sensor, to tell when it has gone bad, and can no longer detect bad oil.

Didn't they already develope this ? Isn't it called a "dipstick" ? Re-inventing the wheel at its finest !

This would be why your last line gave me a chuckle ! I wouldn't be holding my breath. We will rely on guys like you, and the aftermarket in general, to help us get what we want. Obviously, our voice isn't loud enough anywhere else.