Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > International Navistar Medium Duty Vehicles > 2004 to 2007 International 3000 & 4000 Series

2004 to 2007 International 3000 & 4000 Series VT275, VT365, DT466, and DT570 equipped trucks and buses.

Old Thu, January 7th, 2021, 05:42 PM
Whopper

pwerwagn is on a distinguished road
Default FICM tune for VT365?

I have a 2007 4200 with the 300hp VT365. It is studded, has new oil/egr cooler, and a TS MP8. The chassis is under a motorhome and has 5.29 gears.

Would the atlas 40 tune work well on this? Has it been used on a vt365? How would it interface with the MP8?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old Fri, January 8th, 2021, 08:59 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
I have a 2007 4200 with the 300hp VT365. It is studded, has new oil/egr cooler, and a TS MP8. The chassis is under a motorhome and has 5.29 gears.

Would the atlas 40 tune work well on this? Has it been used on a vt365? How would it interface with the MP8?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,

Welcome!

To answer your question... Yes. The FICM tuning works great on the VT365 and provides solid improvements to performance, throttle response, and economy. We see the same gains on the VT engines as we do on the standard Ford 6.0L applications.

I do not have an answer as to how it will work with the TS MP8 as I'm not certain what the MP8 affects in the engine controls. If you could maybe provide some insight as to what it connects to, I might be able to make a semi-educated guess as to what it's doing. In other words, does it connect to the OBD connector, the engine harness, or both? And if connected to the engine harness, which connectors or wires is it connected to?

We also currently are offering ECM tuning for those trucks, if that's something that interests you. Feel free to give us a shout if you'd like some more information.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, January 8th, 2021, 10:01 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Jeff,

Welcome!

To answer your question... Yes. The FICM tuning works great on the VT365 and provides solid improvements to performance, throttle response, and economy. We see the same gains on the VT engines as we do on the standard Ford 6.0L applications.

I do not have an answer as to how it will work with the TS MP8 as I'm not certain what the MP8 affects in the engine controls. If you could maybe provide some insight as to what it connects to, I might be able to make a semi-educated guess as to what it's doing. In other words, does it connect to the OBD connector, the engine harness, or both? And if connected to the engine harness, which connectors or wires is it connected to?

We also currently are offering ECM tuning for those trucks, if that's something that interests you. Feel free to give us a shout if you'd like some more information.

Take care.
Hi Bill!! Thanks for the reply!
The TSMP8 is just a fuel pressure box. It plugs into the ICP sensor and that is it. TS claims a 30% hp increase. I can feel an increase while accelerating, but nothing at WOT. Pulling long hills at WOT, I can turn the knob up and down realtime and it doesn't change power, boost or EGT. But you can feel an increase when taking off from a light.

I am interested in ECM tuning as well! My empty weight is ~22Klbs, and loaded I am 30K or so. BUT, I do have 5.29 gears. What kind of gains can I see combining the two (ECM and FICM)? Like I mentioned, I do have studs (and gauges). Can you delete the EGR in the ECM so I can do an EGR delete?

Currently empty at the 22klb area, it is super super slow. I am topping hills at 35mph that my similar weight 8.1 gas gm motorhome will top at 50+. Getting on the freeway is a chore, It takes a solid mile (if not more) to reach 65. Once cruising 65, it runs ok, and small hills are ok. Big hills, the truck downshifts when I hit ~62 (due to the 5.29's, it cant downshift at a higher speed). As you are probably aware, mine shifts at 3200 unlike the trucks. And I feel like it has no power above about 2900rpm, so it will sit there and just churn away and lose speed. BUT, if I can keep it from downshifting it actually pulls hills better.

For reference, I am turning about 2350rpm at 65, and somewhere around 2600 at 75mph (its also governed at 75mph).

EDIT: also, for reference this is the 300hp VT365. I understand the 300hp VT 365 wasnt very common, and only mainly used in RV's?

Thanks for the reply!
--Jeff
Old Sat, January 9th, 2021, 09:00 AM
Whopper

Bill,

I’m also having an issue with the fan clutch on this unit. The original one didn’t work at all, so it’s now replaced with a new one from IH. This new one never shuts off. It has a temp adjustment that changes the preload of the bi-metal spring, which I have messed with and it still runs 100% of the time. My coolant temps stay ~170-180.

Have you messed with the fan clutches in these at all? It’s mechanical.

Jeff
Old Sun, January 10th, 2021, 03:36 PM
Whopper

I also got some info from KC turbo that the VT has a much smaller turbo than the truck. Sounded like a swap to a stock truck turbo would be a decent upgrade, assuming tuning is available to accommodate the larger turbo? If so, I might also consider a KC stage 1 as well..

Jeff
Old Mon, January 11th, 2021, 07:09 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Bill,

I’m also having an issue with the fan clutch on this unit. The original one didn’t work at all, so it’s now replaced with a new one from IH. This new one never shuts off. It has a temp adjustment that changes the preload of the bi-metal spring, which I have messed with and it still runs 100% of the time. My coolant temps stay ~170-180.

Have you messed with the fan clutches in these at all? It’s mechanical.

Jeff
I haven't messed with fan clutches since the '80s.

Everything I build now I run electric fans on as they tend to lend themselves better to thermostatic control. The problem is that on diesel trucks, you'd need several of them to achieve the airflow you'll need to cool the radiator and intercooler. At least two fans for each or maybe even three fans utilizing two on the front at top and bottom pushing and one rear middle pulling. It could be done fairly easily and could also be easily staggered based on temp (1 fan, 2 fans, 3 fans), and would just require quite the power block to feed it. That would give you cooling at idle, low speed, and heavy load conditions, while providing less fan under light loads, cool days, etc.

Anyway, that's just a thought.

Quote:
I also got some info from KC turbo that the VT has a much smaller turbo than the truck. Sounded like a swap to a stock truck turbo would be a decent upgrade, assuming tuning is available to accommodate the larger turbo? If so, I might also consider a KC stage 1 as well..

Jeff
I'm still getting my head around the many configurations that are available with these trucks. I've spent a great deal of time working with the 7.3L trucks and have a good library of calibrations and builds based on the many options available, but still working on the 6.0L stuff.

I'm personally not sure what turbo is used on the VT and how it relates to the 6.0L, so I would defer that to Charlie at KC. In fact, I think I'm going to give him a jingle tomorrow and have a chat about them.

The tuning itself should be pretty straightforward and I don't see an issue with that. Now, I personally prefer using the FICM as a means to increase performance since it directly controls the SOI and PW tables as well as a few other useful items. The ECM is usually used to control ICP, Turbo Control (Desired Boost and VVT Feedforward), Estimated Torque Output (for shifting), and EGR. Combined, these make for really good performance and drivability.

Anyway, I'll get back to you about turbo and tuning and let you know what I find.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!