Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
trapped in the city

bikerfuzz is on a distinguished road
Help mileage difference

So maybe I can get help on this. Im shure Its been posted. I am very happy with my gryphon so far. But as of late it seem like the /87 performance program I got does not seem to be cutting it. Flat spot in accelerator, and seems to go into overdrive alot more.and the gas mileage never went above 13 in the city! ... but maybe its me!. I dont know.. So I tried the regular 87 tow .. and wow what a difference!! ????? got a better responce and I am already up in m.p.g's . I went from 23.4 average m.p.g to 13.4 mpg's... could i be wrong? can the stock tube be better than the custom one I bought..... Moderators?? Bill? Corey? JnJ/? what you think
Old Fri, April 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

There are a few things that could be causing this, dirty sensors, dirty filters, dirty throttle body, dirty MAF, or a bad tune. :/
Firstly did the tune ever perform right? as in did you ever see what you are seeing out of the canned tune with the performance tune loaded? If it did then I would bet it is one of the sensors or throttle body that needs to be cleaned, if it never did that good, then I would guess that it is a problem with the tune itself, which Bill can and will fix for free (to the best of my understanding).
Your answer to the above question should determine your best course of action, and even if it is just a bad tune, it can't hurt to clean out your engine parts . hope this helps.
Old Sat, April 23rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
trapped in the city

well she worked great when I first put it in. I did notice a big difference.Having said that I will try cleaning the throttle body, and m.a.f.s. and re check.when it goes in for the 100k im gonna change out the o2 sensor and fuel filter, That will be in about a month. Just seems to be such a change. BUT Ill LET YOU KNOW. Thanks.
bobby
Old Sat, April 23rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

That sounds like a good plan , Good luck and i hope it fixed your problem
Old Sat, April 23rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
trapped in the city

Thank you sir!! I will I promise let you know
Old Sun, April 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

So you got 23 mpg city with the tow tune while the performance tune got 13 under the same or similar conditions on paper?

If cleaning everything doesn't help then you might try changing back to stock for a few days then switching back to the performance tune.
Old Wed, April 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

I too noticed better acceleration when I switched off my performance tune to my canned 87 tow tune. Interesting....I may need to look into this more.
Old Wed, May 11th, 2011, 07:29 PM
trapped in the city

Ok ! SO may be Bill, can help me/us out on this one? Or any body else? I cleaned everything up fresh gas and all and ran the 87 performance tune . Got about 12.5 mpg's in city a nit of a flat spot before and after and not as great throttle .
With the 87 tow I got 13.5 mpg's and a little better all around. Ran a bit hotter but "snappier" .
Could it be a problem with the program? And yes I set it back to stock each time first.
Old Wed, May 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Everyone who is getting "strange" gas mileage results. First, you MUST make sure your Tire Size (TS) and Gear Ratio (GR) settings are correct for the tune you are talking about. If you have not checked the PROGRAMMER DISPLAYED speed or the DASHBOARD ODOMETER READING against some known "standard", you are using figures that are totally meaningless!

IF, you have verified that the Gryphon speed and/or the dashboard odometer reading is correct, then you need to hand calculate a gas mileage figure over 3-4 tank fill ups. I'm sorry, this is the only way to cancel out the effects of winds, climbing/descending terrain, driving environment, differences in filling the tank, etc. One tank full will not do it! I have varied between 17.X and 13.X in different fill ups. My overall average, when not towing, on the highway, is 15.X. Notice those qualifications - in town, towing, it's going to be less.

And, you cannot compare a "meaningless" figure against "stock". The stock tune is a "meaningful" setting. If the tune sees a wrong figure for your TS or GR, then the "tune's" results will be totally out in left field.

And remember, if you have the TS and the GR correct, the dashboard speedo will read about 3% fast. If the dashboard speedo is reading your ACTUAL speed, your odometer is reading about 3% low, which would give you low gas mileage results!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, May 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
trapped in the city

I did all that stuff. It wasnt one tank of gas. It was goin on for a while. about the last three months. Its not that I just filled up and went wow the mileage changed! I haven't changed any settings, and my tire pressure is correct and my habits are the same. Thats why i watched it over a period of time. Why I said average m.p.g.'s .It was noticed after using the 87 custom tune for a while. A difference in how it performed. AND THE M.P.G i n 87 mode and then the change to 87 tow.There were no real variables. The only thing I did was change the program.
Thats why I asked the question. Can it be the program?