Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip

Hydra Chip 17-Position Chip The Power Hungry Performance Hydra Multi-Position Chip is the industry standard for the 7.3L!

Redesigned from the ground up, the Hydra Chip provides Ford owners with a feature packed,
high quality, and low cost alternative to other existing modules on the market today.

Old Mon, April 19th, 2021, 07:41 PM
Whopper Junior

2001Excursion is on a distinguished road
Default Hydra custom tunes for upgraded performance injectors.

Hey All,

Question, I'm in need of sourcing custom tunes for upgraded performance injectors. Over the years, I've heard Bill from PHP getting mentioned the most for tunes being on point.

Being that I have PMR's (I may get another block with forged rods as a build back up), I'm looking at 180/30's SS or 238/80's hybrids from Rosewood. The latter is due to tuning them down while currently on PMR's and opening them up post block swap down the road.

Not my DD, but often gets driven enough. 01' excursion 4x4 6" lift with 38's
Big air filter, Garrett GTP38R, 4" downpipe, triple gauges (Temp, Pyro, boost),Bulletproof 4r100 (w/Triple disk convertor), 3.73 gears, Rotella T6 oil only, 6.0 Trans cooler and Diesel Kleen Cetane boost in every tank.

I don't drive it like it's a rental, but do like to pass quickly. I told the wife this is THE last truck I'll ever buy (And she knows how much trucks cost now a days), so it'll need to last to at least 1mm miles .

@Bill can you assist with safe PMR tunes for either of the injector choices above? Also, would you go with another injector choice and vendor? I'm local and can swing by.
Old Wed, April 28th, 2021, 08:29 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001Excursion View Post
Hey All,

Question, I'm in need of sourcing custom tunes for upgraded performance injectors. Over the years, I've heard Bill from PHP getting mentioned the most for tunes being on point.

Being that I have PMR's (I may get another block with forged rods as a build back up), I'm looking at 180/30's SS or 238/80's hybrids from Rosewood. The latter is due to tuning them down while currently on PMR's and opening them up post block swap down the road.

Not my DD, but often gets driven enough. 01' excursion 4x4 6" lift with 38's
Big air filter, Garrett GTP38R, 4" downpipe, triple gauges (Temp, Pyro, boost),Bulletproof 4r100 (w/Triple disk convertor), 3.73 gears, Rotella T6 oil only, 6.0 Trans cooler and Diesel Kleen Cetane boost in every tank.

I don't drive it like it's a rental, but do like to pass quickly. I told the wife this is THE last truck I'll ever buy (And she knows how much trucks cost now a days), so it'll need to last to at least 1mm miles .

@Bill can you assist with safe PMR tunes for either of the injector choices above? Also, would you go with another injector choice and vendor? I'm local and can swing by.
Hey there. I apologize for the late reply. I've been tied up with some new project stuff lately.

So the injector decision will come down to what you plan on using the truck for. If you're not doing a lot of heavy towing, you have a little more flexibility with injectors. I personally try to keep injector size to a minimum, unless there is a significant reason to go with larger injectors. Stage 1s will tend to run better because you're able to keep the injection pressure at the nozzle higher than with stage 3's, due to the change in intensifier piston sizes. This results in better atomization and combustion, and ultimately better performance and economy for the same amount of fuel.

Stage 3's can work, but I just don't see the need for the expense unless you're really just looking to goof around.

I have absolutely no complaints with Rosewood injectors and have done many tunes for them. However, we do have a close relationship with Full Force Diesel and tend to recommend their injectors for several reasons, including reliability and warranty.

All that aside, you could try our Titan unlock for the Hydra which would include Stage 3 injector files for many popular calibrations. However, we don't currently offer specific custom tuning at this time. If that's what you're looking for, I'd recommend Andrew Arthur (AA Design and Tuning - https://aa-design-tuning.com) on the west coast or Brian Jelich (JeliBuilt Performance - https://www.jelibuiltperformance.com) on the east coast. They are both fantastic tuners.

As long as whoever does the tuning keeps the SOI Timing in check, you won't have any problems with the PMRs. It's aggressive timing curves and excessive cylinder pressures that destroy them. Honestly, we're pretty much past the days of windowed blocks. Most tuners have figured out the issues and are more conservative with timing. The only ones I find that are still windowing blocks are almost always running older files that have never had the timing tables corrected. Done right, there's no reason you can't run 500 HP on PMRs.

I hope this is helpful.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!