Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Whopper

CredURDead is on a distinguished road
Default Stock 87 tow vs Custom 87 tow

I am just looking over the order form to convert my edge to gryphon and wasn't sure exactly what each option was.

I have a 2005 XLT 5.4 stock intake stock exhaust, can someone explain to me the three calibration levels I should choose for ordering my conversion? I realize things can be downloaded at a later date but don't want to screw up the initial order.

With the edge there were not so many options!

I don't really tow anything but am looking to get more power out of my truck. I still want to save on gas mileage but having a 2005, I don't want to lean out the engine too much either.

I guess my main question is, what are the best options to start off with when converting to the gryphon on the order form for my situation?

Thank you,

Ben
2005 XLT Super Cab, Edge Evolution Level 2, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel Level Kit, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Outland Bull Bar, T-Rex Chrome Grill, LED tails, Chrome Bed Rails, Nitto Terra Grapplers 275/65/18 on OEM Chrome Clad 18s
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 08:38 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

You'll have to look at what octane gas you use to know what tunes you want.
Like when I got mine.
I used 87oct gas.
So I chose a 87 tow and a 87 perf.
I left the canned perf tune alone.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Whopper

I am just sending it in to be converted for the first time and just not sure what to put under the order form. Corey emailed me and told me I could add more tunes if I needed later, but there are three slots which say stock-tranny, stock-tow, and stock-performance, I am wondering if I should leave them that way and send it in.

I know I can purchase custom 87-performance and custom 87 tow later, which is what I want. But if I should indeed get them now, what do I do with the third slot. I guess I am just lost on what to do. I just started to mod out my truck, havent done anything with intake or exhaust, probably won't either due to my fear of rusting out an exhaust in 5 years(MN salt in the winters), and fear of leaning out the fuel air with a greater intake.

2005 XLT Triton V8 5.4L, I've put on a HBS 2.5" level kit, which was about the most challenging and scary thing I have done to my truck thus far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, now I am going to do some searching to read up on all of this a bit more.

CRedURDead
2005 XLT Super Cab, Edge Evolution Level 2, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel Level Kit, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Outland Bull Bar, T-Rex Chrome Grill, LED tails, Chrome Bed Rails, Nitto Terra Grapplers 275/65/18 on OEM Chrome Clad 18s
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Do a search on "Gotts Mod". That is a less than $10 DIY intake improvement you can do yourself and it doesn't cause problems.

It sounds almost like you simply want better passing performance (get rid of that crappy lag during downshift to pass) and reasonable highway economy? I'm not hearing you say you want to race your neighbors to the next stoplight, right?

I'd suggest having Bill replace the Level 1 tranny tune with an 87 octane performance tune that would improve highway economy. Leave the Level 2 and Level 3 tunes alone. You can always have them customized later if you start towing a lot, or, find you want to use the expensive kind of gas.

He'll improve the way the transmission shifts in his tune and I saw an improvement of about 0.5 mpg in economy between the canned tow and a custom tow tune. The canned tow tune, by the way gave me better economy (when not towing) than the "stock" tune. You should see improved economy in a non-towing tune as well.

Hope this is making sense. Bill is good at figuring out what you want if you just tell him exactly what kind of driving you do and where you do it. If you're mostly in the city, say so. If it's the highway, say that too, or, tell him it's a 50/50 mix. I do a lot of driving in the mountains, and Bill knows that too. Our speed limits in Tucson are generally 45 mph and everyone drives faster.

Hope this has helped.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Whopper

Jack you seem to just read my mind, just like on the other forum, thats what I was looking for, I guess the confusion came with the three choices and me only wanting 1 or 2 of them, performance tune, possibly a towing tune, but I have nothing to tow regularly(the wife is buying a wake-board boat...someday) so I have no estimated weight to add in for information to help with the tune. SO, I can probably get by with just the performance tune, 50/50 driving like yourself, and I will have to check the elevation for Minneapolis, MN

Jack, nice write up on "Questions about tunes read this" on f150online! It was helpful. I am assuming your canned tunes analogy was in reference to Edge programmers, and Custom tunes would be the gryphon-Bill? Yes-No?

I am not going to be racing, just some power when I need it, and a few times when I don't.

thanks guys, I THINK I know what to do now, but am open to suggestions before I send it in.

CRedURDead
Old Wed, May 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CredURDead View Post
Jack you seem to just read my mind, just like on the other forum, thats what I was looking for, I guess the confusion came with the three choices and me only wanting 1 or 2 of them, performance tune, possibly a towing tune, but I have nothing to tow regularly(the wife is buying a wake-board boat...someday) so I have no estimated weight to add in for information to help with the tune. SO, I can probably get by with just the performance tune, 50/50 driving like yourself, and I will have to check the elevation for Minneapolis, MN

Jack, nice write up on "Questions about tunes read this" on f150online! It was helpful. I am assuming your canned tunes analogy was in reference to Edge programmers, and Custom tunes would be the gryphon-Bill? Yes-No?

I am not going to be racing, just some power when I need it, and a few times when I don't.

thanks guys, I THINK I know what to do now, but am open to suggestions before I send it in.

CRedURDead
Glad it's making sense! Yes, the "Canned Tunes" did refer to the tunes you see on the Edge, or, the SCT SF3 or a number of other programmers that come from the "factory" with preloaded tunes. The "Custom Tunes" would be those done by Bill on the Gryphon, or Justin, Mike or Bill on an X3 in response to a specific order by you. The DiabloSport device is kind of "in between" those two positions, because it's a bit more "customized" than an ordinary "canned" device but is still not truly customized. I had to write that thread in a very "neutral" way, because I cannot be seen to be a huge supporter of PHP over the other paying sponsors. I try to maintain that neutrality over there, and it's important to do that because those products are good too.

I specifically told Bill I wanted to be able to get around other vehicles on 2-lane roads at highway speeds, but that I was NOT interested in racing to stoplights. I find I still have all the power I need off a standstill, or when accelerating to get onto the interstates, even in California with their "metered" entrances. And, almost ALL of my driving in the truck is on the highway, not 50/50. (I have an old Honda Accord I drive around town).

Just so you'll know, I originally did a conversion, just like you, and replaced only the Level 2 tow tune with a custom tow tune (since I tow). Later, I figured out we actually liked to drive the monster on non-towing trips too, so I had the Level 1 tune replaced with an 87 economy/performance tune.

Anyway, I've been happy with what I got and I suspect you will be too.

- Jack