Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, June 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Whopper

webbug is on a distinguished road
Default 3 questions

2 Questions

I have been using the programmer for a while; I have custom tunes for performance and towing. I need clarifications on the followings:

1. When using custom tow settings, the maximum speed I can get towing my 24 feet boat is 78mph. I know its too fast for towing but just wondering why the loss in speed.

2. If tires are changed, what speed can be adjusted using the programmer; the odometer or the digital speed of the programmer?

3. When I use my custom tow or performance settings I always skip the custom options. Now I need to do some custom settings which is mainly the tire size. What about the other settings? Will it take those that were made for my custom settings (for example GR) or it will have a dummy number and I have to know the setting that was made to that program (whether its tow or performance)

Thanks
Old Fri, June 11th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Not that I am an expert in any of this, but from what I have read i might be able to help.
with the top speed of towing, I have never heard of a truck not being able to tow a boat at whatever speed was needed so I cant help with that, with the other two its not too difficult to explain i think
when you adjust the tire size in the programmer, it changes the computer, so both the speedometer on the dash, and in the gryphon will show the change. to get the correct tires size there are many different links and calculators that you can use from PHP that will get you the correct numbers to put in. I think Bill says the best way is to get how many rotations per mile the tires do, then divide a large number by that.
With the custom programming you just need to change your tire size, to make sure I wouldnt even open anything else to change unless you actually want to change it from where it currently is at. So put the new tire size in, then click done and load the customized files. PHP recommends you to not change anything at all unless necessary, such as tire size or gear ratio.
Like I said I am not an expert in these things, and anyone should feel free to correct me but that is what I know from experience (I have 35" tires on my 2005 F-150), and from reading. also on a side note, to help answer the first question, you should let everyone know what truck you have and which modds you have done , hope that helps!
Old Fri, June 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Ticopowell has some good info but I'm going to add to it.

The 78 mph limit might have been because of the wind resistance brought on by the boat. They aren't the most aerodynamic thing you can pull on the street at high speeds. The speed limiter is probably still set at 95+ but the truck just can't get going any faster with the trailer. I think Bill goes as high as 120. You could probably test it after you unhook the boat, just dont change tunes and see if you can make it past the 78.

When you put a different sized tire than what you ordered you go into the custom options menu and enter your tire size. Then check the gear ratio to make sure that is still accurate. After that you wont have to change any of the values you entered. You will, however, have to use the custom options menu next time you reprogram to a different tune. This time all you need to do is use "Load Previous Settings" and click "Done".
Old Sat, June 12th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Whopper

webbug is on a distinguished road

Okay today I tried to fix the accuracy of the speedo, I followed one this method:

I clocked 25.5 km on the odemeter and 24.6 km on my GPS.

25.5/24 * 2661 = 2758

I have 05' F-150 using 33x12.5x20 Toyo Open Country MT's.

okay now the problem of putting this number in. I have selected the custom tune and custom settings, put the above number and selected done. After the turn off and one process, I'm not sure if the number was stored there. Because when I choose the custom options again I see the old number 2634 not the new one 2758 plus there is no difference in the speedo adjustment

Test in KM
Gryphon / Speedometer / GPS
36/40/34
55/60/53
75/80/72
113/120/109

I really need to get this working, I had 4 tickets because of this issue and cost me the price of gryphon!!
Old Sat, June 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the clarification on my info , and to help more the speedo is always going to be a bit faster than the grypon, so those numbers look close to what I see on my 05 f-150. What happens is that if you dont first go to the "load previous settings" or whatever it is called, and load the last customizations you set, then it will show the original settings you had there. the gryphon SHOULD save them that way, and after the previous settings are saved you should be able to look and verify that they are in there correct, but you shouldnt need to worry about it. if you still want to fine tune the speedometer to show more accurately, you could adjust the tire size again to make it more accurate, or adjust the GR in the gryphon to make it more accurate, but IMHO you are getting fairly accurate results from the gryphon, so you really shouldnt need too much to make them better... and If you are getting speeding tickets at 120mph then you probably dont need a gryphon after all... jk lol , like I said though, that looks pretty accurate, so you maybe need to drop the tire size by 1% or so, or add 1%, i dont remember which, and it should make it a lot more accurate.
Old Sun, June 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

And to add, the GPS mph isn't always accurate for moment by moment due to elevation changes and slight miscalculations. The misscalculations are very common for standard GPSs that are accurate up to 7 or so feet at the most and on average to 20 ft. Also my gps says my max speed is 371 mph...I wish.

But one thing I'm not seeing is what your intial tire size was. If you have the 2758 programmed in, drive another 20 and redo the calculation. It usually takes a few tries because of rounding errors in the programmer. But if your getting speeding tickets for the speedo being 2 off of the GPS then you are just going a bit too fast.
Old Wed, June 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

AND, I think you corrected the wrong way? You said you recorded 25.5 km on the dash, but the GPS said 24.6? This tells me your "entered" Tire Size (TS) is too large. The PCM "thinks" you've traveled farther than you really have, because your entered circumference is larger than it should be. Notice your Gryphon and your dash are saying you are traveling FASTER than your GPS is saying, which also correlates to using a TS that is too large.

But, now I have a bit of a problem. Your tires are 33x12.5x20 ones. These work out to 33 x 25.4 x pi = 2633.3 mm without reducing for "squish", which is even smaller than the number you were apparently using before (2661).

If I apply the correction to 2661 properly, I get: 24.6/25.5 x 2661 = 2567mm, which is the number I think you should enter to make your Gryphon and GPS agree - the truck's speedo will still read about 3% FASTER - about 82.5km/hr (indicated) at 80km/hr (actual). And, the 2567 corresponds to a "squish" of about 2.5% which sounds right for your low-profile tires.

And here's the rub - In ALL cases, your speedometer was telling you you were going faster than you really were, yet you got tickets for speeding! Were you "indicating" 100km/hr in an 80km/hr zone? Do the police have you on their "hit list"?

Things don't quite add up. However, to get your speedo where it should be, try 2567mm.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer