Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, August 1st, 2009, 05:08 PM
Double Whopper

not you is on a distinguished road
Default Can i run 93 octane on 87tow tune

I put 93 in and set it to level 3 seems ok didnt get the wow effect . have some questions if i run the 3rd setting it should work right away right ? i had less the an 1/8 in it when i put 93 in it . it kind of felt funny almost like a very small sirch but I wasnt really beating on it (had the kid in the truck ). If I do run the 93 performance tune can i drive it normal or is it set different for that . if i set it to the 87 tow tune can i run 93 on it and will it be fine. or do I have to bump the timing up or is that fine also. In the positive side on 87 tow tune i get about 17.9 to 18.5 mpg and thats around town cant wait for the trip to jersey next week (610 miles away ) to see how that works out . well i will start with these question ( tried to write in sentence for a select few did my best ) thanks for the info Shawn
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 01:17 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Given the state of fuel quality nowadays, it's getting much more difficult to predict how a vehicle is going to respond to any given calibration. More stations are running 10% ethanol now and that is having an adverse effect on both performance and economy.

The best I can suggest is to try adjusting timing a little bit to see if it perks things up. Add ½ to 1 degree at a time and see if there's any improvement. If there's nothing by 2 degrees, then put it back to stock. Sometimes, even backing timing down a little seems to help. Each vehicle is different and, like fuel variances, there are many factors that can affect performance.

One other thing you might try is getting gas from a different station and see if that also makes any difference. I've tried several stations in our are and can definitely feel a difference in the way our Expedition runs. Not to mention that I've seen a 1-2 MPG swing depending on which station we buy fuel from.

I hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Double Whopper

not you is on a distinguished road

Ok so your saying bump the timing up on the 93 tune setting? or bump 87 tow tune and try that . Im guessing you mean the 93 tune ( level 3 ) i can drive with the 93 tune around town? or is it more for highway ? I live in nc (charlotte area) and yes i notice a huge difference with different gas ,I only buy shell or bp but mostly shell get way better mpg on shell. will it do harm with 93octane on 87 tow tune ? thanks for the info Shawn
Old Sun, August 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We always recommend running matching fuel and calibration octane ratings. It doesn't hurt to run higher octane fuel than the program calls for (93 gas in an 87 Tow or Perf. program), but don't recommend the reverse... low octane fuel in a high octane program. Doing so can cause detonation and may ultimately lead to engine failure by way of melted or cracked pistons.

Most of our customers have indicated that for day to day driveability, the 87 Perf. programs work extremely well with 87 octane and provide good response and economy. The biggest difference in the 93 Perf. program is going to be noticeable above 1/2 throttle so unless you are a hot-shoe (like myself...), you won't see any significant difference in normal driving.

Hope this makes sense.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, July 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Whopper Junior

LTMARK is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is old but whatever, So if I drive like grandma I should use the 87 tow tune, and if I run 93 octane I do not need to make any adjustment to my program? Or should I?
Old Sun, July 25th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMARK View Post
I know this thread is old but whatever, So if I drive like grandma I should use the 87 tow tune, and if I run 93 octane I do not need to make any adjustment to my program? Or should I?
You've obviously never driven with my Grandma...

If you use 93 octane with your 87 tow tune, you do not have to make any adjustments to the program, but...

You might want to increase your timing to account for the higher octane. As the Dr. states,

Quote:
The best I can suggest is to try adjusting timing a little bit to see if it perks things up. Add ˝ to 1 degree at a time and see if there's any improvement. If there's nothing by 2 degrees, then put it back to stock. Sometimes, even backing timing down a little seems to help. Each vehicle is different and, like fuel variances, there are many factors that can affect performance.
(My 71 year old grandma has lead foot. She recently got a ticket for 79 in a 65. She swears she was only doing 76...)

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com