Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, May 4th, 2010, 05:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

MileHigh - It's possible you may NEVER get what you want here. The firmness settings are really for the WOT shifts. Cranking up the firmness causes the clutch bands to reingage more quickly at the end of the shift, resulting in less slippage.

You really shouldn't notice a part throttle shift much at all, other than to hear a change in engine speed and feel possibly a slight "lurch".

I think you should go the other way on firmness in the 1-2 upshift, possibly into negative territory, if it feels too harsh at WOT. If you like the way the others feel, leave them alone.

I doubt reducing the 1-2 upshift firmness is going to be that noticeable at part throttle, but at WOT, it should feel "tamer".

You really don't want a hard "lurch" during a shift anyway, because that lurch is telling you you're putting stress on the driveline. At the same time, you don't want a SLOWWW reduction in RPM as the bands begin to "grip", because that wears them out. It's a bit of a balancing act.

In driving a manual shift vehicle, I feel I've done it properly if the clutch is released quickly and the accelerator is depressed quickly at the same time so that I don't really feel it and, I've done all this so fast (gotten the shift lever out of the lower gear and into the next gear) that the engine RPM has only dropped to the new gear speed. That's the feeling I'd really like to have with an automatic.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, May 4th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHigh04SCREW View Post
@Longshot , message delivered. He's pissed HAHAHA.

Thanks for the moderator msg delivery. I'd really like to get this figured out... driving me crazy...

Try out the level 2 tow tune for a bit to see what you think of those shifts and compare them to what you are experiencing now. You should be fine with the CAI since that tune runs richer. I could be that
Old Wed, May 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Double Whopper

MileHigh04SCREW is on a distinguished road

Jack,

Thanks for the info. I have tried that as well. I found -8 to -10 between gears 1&2 (*edit* at WOT) gives a solid transmission shift with little to no "lurch". However, this also leaves me with a soft shift shudder under normal driving conditions. I hear bad things about shudders. Again, it's only for 1-2 shifts. 2-3/3-4 are great and always have been.

I wish I could post a hi-res video of what is happening...

This has no relevance to Timing does it?

-MileHigh
Old Wed, May 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Jack,

Thanks for the info. I have tried that as well. I found -8 to -10 between gears 1&2 (*edit* at WOT) gives a solid transmission shift with little to no "lurch". However, this also leaves me with a soft shift shudder under normal driving conditions. I hear bad things about shudders. Again, it's only for 1-2 shifts. 2-3/3-4 are great and always have been.

I wish I could post a hi-res video of what is happening...

This has no relevance to Timing does it?

-MileHigh
No, it shouldn't relate to timing I think.

I suspect this is something Bill can adjust for in a custom tune though. He not only adjusts the "firmness" setting that you can play with, but he also adjusts line pressures and the torque dive that occurs in a shift. I'd guess one of these needs changing. I'm sure he can put an updated tune file on the server for you when he gets time.

In the meantime, though, do what Longshot suggested. Simply load the custom tow tune you have, DO NOT make any custom option changes and try that one. You can use it with the higher octane gas, so that's not a problem.

If the truck shifts more to your liking, Bill would need to know this, and, if there's no improvement, that's important data too.

- Jack
Old Mon, May 10th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

New 91 Performance tune is ready for download.

Bill wants me to let you know that part of your problem may be that your PCM calibration is old, and there have been updates since then to remedy shifting issues such as shift flare.

You don't HAVE to update, but if you do, Bill will rewrite both custom files for $30. Let us know if you'd like to do this down the road.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Thu, May 13th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Double Whopper

I think I botched this one. I got Pegasus installed and talking to the server correctly. If I updated the Firmware, does that erase the custom tunes? When I plugged the Gryph back into my truck, it ran through a complete initialization, writing new files, etc, like the first day I got it. Under the Performance Settings menu, there is just Lvl 1/2/3 (I cant remember if these had a *custom* text in front of them) ... did I mess this up?
Old Fri, May 14th, 2010, 12:44 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

If you go back into the download custom files menu of Pegasus again you will be able to re-download your custom tunes. Just be sure to do a calibration update (not just a firmware update).
Old Fri, May 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
I think I botched this one. I got Pegasus installed and talking to the server correctly. If I updated the Firmware, does that erase the custom tunes? When I plugged the Gryph back into my truck, it ran through a complete initialization, writing new files, etc, like the first day I got it. Under the Performance Settings menu, there is just Lvl 1/2/3 (I cant remember if these had a *custom* text in front of them) ... did I mess this up?
You MAY have reverted to "canned" tunes. It sounds like you used the Gryphon Update Manager, which is NOT what you should have used. If you did that and updated both firmware AND calibrations, then you're back to "canned".

All is not lost however.
1. Make sure your truck is at Lvl 0 (stock) and start Pegasus without connecting the Gryphon.
2. Click on [Updates]->[Pegasus Update Manager] to install Pegasus V2.01.0640 if you are running an older version, possibly V2.01.0616.
3. Once you are sure you are running the LATEST version of Pegasus, with it running, connect your Gryphon to the PC. The screen should flash red and then turn green.
4. Now, click on [Updates]->[Custom File Download] to download and install the custom tunes Bill has written for you. I think this should restore ALL the custom tunes.
5. Once this process finishes, simply disconnect the Gryphon and return it to your truck. You don't need to press any keys on the Gryphon before it is disconnected.
Let us know what happens.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, May 14th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Double Whopper

Followed the steps exactly. The Gryphon never went from Red to Green. But it downloaded 303993 bites of stuff. Then it gives me an error message
"Update Failed. Please contact your vendor for assistance."

Let me restart my comp and try again.
Old Fri, May 14th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Double Whopper

Jack~ Update successful, heading to truck for a joyride in the rain. Wish me luck! I'll update when I get back. How do I post pictures directly into a thread?

Preemptive One-Hundred Million thank-you's.

-milehigh