Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sun, May 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Whopper Junior

Trueblue02 is on a distinguished road
Default Canned Edge

to start off im really confused, i was dead set on buying an edge from a parts store in town but than i read about these custom tunes. So can i buy a regular edge and than send it to PHP and have custom tunes installed (for 30 dollars a piece right?) Or do i need to buy a gryphon from PHP, is a gryphon and edge with custom tunes on it or something different. Ive read alot of posts on here and it looks like there are many helpful people on here. Please help
Old Sun, May 2nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Well it depends on what year, model and stuff you have. If you have an '04+ you can buy a gryphon from PHP. If you have one from before that then you will have to buy an Edge programmer and pay $25 to have the programmer converted and then $60 per custom tune.
Old Mon, May 3rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
Whopper Junior

Duskrider is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain Trueblue, I researched for days too trying to figure out just what the deal is with Edge, Gryphon, 'Tunes', and programming. I think by now I've got it nailed down, but I'm sure a mod will put me in my place if I'm wrong.

The Edge company makes Edge programmers... for the purposes of this discussion they make the Evolution, the CS, and the CTS. The Evolution has a black and white screen, the CS is color, and the CTS is a color touchscreen. I believe they all function similarly, so one isn't better than the other in terms of performance.

Power Hungry Performance, or PHP, modifies Edge progammers in house and converts them to Gryphons. In the process, the local tuning wizard Bill makes tunes that are far more effective and specific when the conversion is done, meaning that Gryphons give better performance than stock Edge programmers. You can purchase a Gryphon directly from PHP or you can purchase and Edge from somewhere else and send it to PHP for conversion for a fee.

Custom tunes are seperate and are made for YOUR truck by Bill individually... he actually looks at your truck's specs and mods and builds a tune for YOU. You then load these tunes into your truck by using the Gryphon programmer and the tunes will replace some canned tunes on your Gryphon. Custom tunes cannot be loaded by the Edge... it must be converted first. If you have this done when you purchase a Gryphon from PHP it costs you $30 per tune. If you have this done any other time it costs $60 per tune. This means buying an Edge from somewhere else and wanting custom tunes will require you to send it in and have it converted, which costs money, and having any custom tunes done would be $60 a tune. Additionally, adding tunes at a later time, even if you bought your Gryphon from PHP, will cost $60 each.

Hopefully all that is right and makes sense.
Imagination is more important than knowledge -Albert Einstein
Old Mon, May 3rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

VERY GOOD, Duskrider! (You got it "almost" right).

The major thing that's not quite right is that the CS and CTS, if bought somewhere else, do NOT have to be sent in to be "converted". This saves on the "conversion fee" and postage, but you still have to pay $30 more per custom tune. I doubt you will get a good enough deal buying the CS/CTS somewhere else to make up for the price difference, so, personally, I'd just buy the unit from PHP in all cases (that's what I did!).

One additional thing, while the tunes among all the units are the same (you're simply getting different "features" with each one), the CS/CTS units will work with any model year truck from 1997 on (they should be supporting 09+ trucks VERY soon). And, they overcome a "reliability" problem on pre-04 trucks that was associated with the OBDII cable.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, May 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
VERY GOOD, Duskrider! (You got it "almost" right).

The major thing that's not quite right is that the CS and CTS, if bought somewhere else, do NOT have to be sent in to be "converted". This saves on the "conversion fee" and postage, but you still have to pay $30 more per custom tune. I doubt you will get a good enough deal buying the CS/CTS somewhere else to make up for the price difference, so, personally, I'd just buy the unit from PHP in all cases (that's what I did!).

One additional thing, while the tunes among all the units are the same (you're simply getting different "features" with each one), the CS/CTS units will work with any model year truck from 1997 on (they should be supporting 09+ trucks VERY soon). And, they overcome a "reliability" problem on pre-04 trucks that was associated with the OBDII cable.

- Jack
Yeah you just about nailed it Duskrider.

I was just about to say something similar but was making sure I was correct when Jack came in.

To add to what Jack said. The custom tunes for an Edge programmer from another vendor are $60 each. You will also have to send the monochrome programmer to PHP to be upgraded to a gryphon (for $25) but the CS/CTS do not need to be shipped. Instead Bill will load your tunes onto Edge's Fusion software for $50. Either way it is cheaper to buy everything from PHP even though you dont have to.