Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, May 10th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Whopper Junior

cheepone2 is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon as code reader

What are the Gryphons capabilities as a code reader compared to other popular tuners/code readers?
Old Mon, May 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Its good for your truck and other similar trucks. For example, I could pull the code on 04-08 f150s if my truck was programmed back to stock. Anything outside of that bracket wont work.

But for just your truck it can pull any code that pops up so it is very usefull. I was having trouble with a remote starter and if it were not for the programmer I would have had to make a wreaker take my truck to the dealership for PATS issues.
Old Mon, May 10th, 2010, 10:14 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

It reads the obdII can bus codes.
Just like the other programmers.
If you need to read body or tranny codes then a scanner with those options is needed.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, May 11th, 2010, 06:07 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road

body codes?
Old Tue, May 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Forum Predator

I think it is for stuff like electrical shorts for the power windows and stuff.

I think the some stuff like the B1600 do show up. This is a code from the PATS that the signal isn't correct. This code is able to immobilize your vehicle.
Old Tue, May 11th, 2010, 06:26 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Yup! There's all kinds of different codes. Almost makes the idea of a tech who could listen and "feel" to diagnose a vehicle problem an obsolete concept. All we need now is a "smart" code reader. Then, we just remove and replace the part that's throwing the code.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, May 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Yup! There's all kinds of different codes. Almost makes the idea of a tech who could listen and "feel" to diagnose a vehicle problem an obsolete concept. All we need now is a "smart" code reader. Then, we just remove and replace the part that's throwing the code.

- Jack
Bill would make a killing if he wrote software for the gryphons to do that.
Old Tue, May 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Bill would make a killing if he wrote software for the gryphons to do that.
The CS/CTS might have enough memory but the original Gryphon does not.
Thats also why more memory is needed because in the 09+ f150'S they have 2 PCMs that talk to each other.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 12th, 2010, 03:58 PM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post

- Jack
I tend to use the listen/feel method alot, though i am not anywhere close to a tech. i just 'know' how my engine sounds/runs/feels etc. i think we all do to a degree. when i blew a plug a cpl months ago, i could def. hear a miss b4 it happened...didnt need a device to know that. lol

and...as far as DTC codes, in many cases its not 1 part thats called out but many. i was getting that p1153 code a while back and the possibilities were close to endless on that one. Believe it or not, since i went off-roading with longshot...that code has yet to pop-up agn...and its been almost a month.
glad i didnt spend money on any parts.

2 pcms??? ...all i can think is why? the only way that makes sense to me is if one were to be responsible for certain data and the other was for another category of data. why would you need 2pcms, if one dont work right the other is just gonna thor things off....maybe thats a question for ford, or mike rowe lol.

interesting thread...
Old Wed, May 12th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody994x4 View Post
I tend to use the listen/feel method alot, though i am not anywhere close to a tech. i just 'know' how my engine sounds/runs/feels etc. i think we all do to a degree. when i blew a plug a cpl months ago, i could def. hear a miss b4 it happened...didnt need a device to know that. lol

and...as far as DTC codes, in many cases its not 1 part thats called out but many. i was getting that p1153 code a while back and the possibilities were close to endless on that one. Believe it or not, since i went off-roading with longshot...that code has yet to pop-up agn...and its been almost a month.
glad i didnt spend money on any parts.

2 pcms??? ...all i can think is why? the only way that makes sense to me is if one were to be responsible for certain data and the other was for another category of data. why would you need 2pcms, if one dont work right the other is just gonna thor things off....maybe thats a question for ford, or mike rowe lol.

interesting thread...
Maybe you had some soot that was messing up the sensor and you either burned it off climbing up those hills or shook it off when you fell back down.

I think the 2 pcms might be for either the two settings (tow and regular) or one for the engine and one for the tranny. Still an interesting question.