Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, May 12th, 2010, 05:12 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Longshot and Cody, it's my understanding that the two PCMs are indeed, one for the transmission and one for the engine. It may work out cheaper in the long run for the consumer, since you shouldn't have to replace both if one goes. But, I'm guessing that each is now more complicated which translates into being able to do more. I'm sure it's in response to getting better fuel efficiency. So, each may be more expensive to replace.

However, we all know that solid state devices tend to work forever once you get past the "burn-in" period as long as you don't do something stupid that "fries" them. Here's where I get nervous about jump starting again, and, I really want to be sure the engine of the "jumping" vehicle is off (no matter which one is doing it), when the ignition is turned ON in the "dead" vehicle.

Cody - you lead me right into what I think is wrong with the way Engineering is taught now. It's all theory. Hardly anyone gets their "hands dirty" any more. I suspect the tech schools are doing much the same - if a testing instrument says it's bad, replace the component.

At Georgia Tech, way back before I was even a student, the Head of the Mechanical Engineering Department, "Uncle" Sy Coon, was quoted as saying to his students, "Boys, the man who cannot look through the cylinder walls of an engine and 'see' the pistons moving up and down isn't fit to be an Engineer." I think that comment still applies.

- Jack
Old Wed, May 12th, 2010, 05:47 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

The dual pcms have been actually around since 07 on the expy's and navi's.
Why does Ford do this? I don't know but GM does the same thing also.
Both of them will introduce something big in their SUV's and a couple of years later it migrates to the pickups.
Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, May 12th, 2010, 05:54 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Forgot this.
One is for engine and body.
The other is for the tranny.
Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, May 13th, 2010, 09:52 AM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road

well that makes sense one for tranny one for engine.

nice qoute too jack.

but you know, vehicles are evolving into more 'computerized' systems anyway. we see benefits from this in efficiency and so on, but see no advantage at all when it comes to the average joe working on his vehicle. Im so glad there are many knowledgable ford owners/enthusiasts online. the info is priceless. 'Joe' might not be able to tackle something right away... but there is alot of info out there.

i did a bit of reading myself on direct injection motors because more and more manufacturers are going with this new type of injection. vehicles have come a long way since carbs...and that wasnt too long ago.

anyways, as far as programming, diagnostic tools, it seems the sky is the limit.
Old Thu, May 13th, 2010, 09:55 AM
texas offroading

cody994x4 is on a distinguished road

also, you see these guys with the newer trucks that have traction control, tire pressure monitoring and i mean.....it seems they cause pesky problems although they seem relatively easy to resolve.

i think ill just get good tires for traction control and check my tire pressure regularly....