Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about my Gryphon.

Ok so I sent my gryphon back so I can use it on my 2010 diesel.The question I have is does it leave a foot print on my PCM?

I talked with my dealer today and told them I will not be using the tunes that are on it, I just want to use the gauges.They told me that they can tell if something has been pluged into the obd port and if there are any warranty problems that they would not be covered. He said Ford is not screwing around with warranty and tuners.

I would have thought if anything I would be doing them a favour by monitoring temps and such and would be preventing anything bad from happening by knowing what my truck was doing. What do you guys think????
Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 06:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FX4 View Post
Ok so I sent my gryphon back so I can use it on my 2010 diesel.The question I have is does it leave a foot print on my PCM?

I talked with my dealer today and told them I will not be using the tunes that are on it, I just want to use the gauges.They told me that they can tell if something has been pluged into the obd port and if there are any warranty problems that they would not be covered. He said Ford is not screwing around with warranty and tuners.

I would have thought if anything I would be doing them a favour by monitoring temps and such and would be preventing anything bad from happening by knowing what my truck was doing. What do you guys think????
We can only talk about US laws. Under those, Ford has to PROVE that your modification caused the failure. This topic is covered in the FAQs on PHP's website. Canada may well have a different outlook on things.

Yes, a dealership CAN tell if a programmer has been used on your truck, if they are suspicious and want to go to that trouble if there is a failure.

And, in another post in this forum, PHP admits to 2 or 3 failures in something like 160,000 tuned vehicles. You can find that data at the end of this thread: http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/1999-...re-survey.html

I honestly would not worry about one of Bill's tunes hurting your truck. There's too many of us who are happily using his tunes, including Bill himself.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 07:42 PM

God its not Bills tunes I am worried about, never even crossed my mind to be honest.
If something with the truck was to fail, like a rad, turbo, injector etc who knows, I dont want the dealer to try and blame anything on the Gryphon because you and I both know that the Gryphon would not be the cause, but dealers can be funny at times and try to do the blame game. I just want the gauges to aid me in my driving and infom me of how my truck is acting...I love my truck but the Ford diesels have had there share of troubles....
Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 07:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Unless your dealership is kind of "shady", I would not expect them to look for "tuning" causes for problems that can, and will, crop up. It's possible if the PCM itself fails they might try to see if a programmer was involved. OR, if the block gets "windowed", I suspect they might be a little bit curious about faulty tuning.

There's really nothing a programmer can do to some of the components, like radiators, injectors, turbos, etc., unless I'm way off base, so I would not anticipate a dealer to be automatically suspicious of "tunes" in the event of these kinds of failures.

Bill does not "aggressively" tune vehicles. Going with that and just a little common sense and "care" for your vehicle should lead to many happy miles of driving.

One thing though. I probably would not put a tune on a brand new PCM. Electronic components are usually quite stable and reliable once they get through a few weeks of use, (known as the "burn in" period). I'd certainly operate the truck for at least a month or two before trying to tune it.

- Jack
Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM

I know tuners can not cause any damage to the parts listed above, They just have the option to not do any repairs under warranty. They may and try and blame the tuner..I have know intention on tuning my truck I just want the gauges was all, I was hoping that it would not leave a trace of being plugged in was all.
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FX4 View Post
I know tuners can not cause any damage to the parts listed above, They just have the option to not do any repairs under warranty. They may and try and blame the tuner..I have know intention on tuning my truck I just want the gauges was all, I was hoping that it would not leave a trace of being plugged in was all.
Ah - I totally misunderstood your question! If you do NOT use the Gryphon to tune your truck, there is NO "footprint". The Gryphon is only receiving information from the PCM, not sending it any. You can use it totally without worry. Just take it out before you take the truck to the dealership so there'll be no misunderstanding.

There will be no P1000 code set by plugging in the Gryphon either, in case you were wondering about that. Bill DID say once though that if you use the Gryphon to "clear" an other trouble codes (this is not programming), that it COULD set the P1000 code. However, you also set the P1000 code if you disconnect the battery, so there's no reason a dealer should be suspicious of that, if it's showing. Just tell them you had the battery out.

- Jack
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

There is no counter or anything in your vehicle that shows how many times it's been programmed or anything, 04FX4. Like Jack said, if you still have the P1000 code still coming up by the time you take in your truck, you can always attribute it to disconnecting the battery.

As Jack pointed out, however, we aren't as familiar with Canadian policies as we are with the U.S. We've haven't encountered any issues thus far.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 11:11 AM

Excellent that is what I wanted to hear. I guess you are shipping it back to me today, or that is what the invoice said... WOOOHooo