Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, June 15th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Double Whopper

axlehead is on a distinguished road
Default Version ID Error

I was upgrading the firmware on the Gryphon today and after about a minute pegasus froze. The gryphon then went to a blue color screen and then nothing. I tried to update again but the gryphon manager was greyed out. I restarted pegasus and was met with a version ID error. Now the gryphon isnt working in the truck. is there any way to restore the gryphon?
Old Wed, June 16th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Double Whopper

well for some odd reason selecting Custom File Download seems to have resolved the problem. Odd. But at least I have my gryphon back!
Old Wed, June 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Why in the first place did you decide that it was a GOOD idea to try and update the firmware?
Did you get......
An email?
A notice?
A phone call?
There has been NO updates for the Gryphon firmware since December 1st 2008.
The only thing that changes is the Pegasus versions.

For anyone else reading this, unless PHP contacts you and tells you to update the firmware, don't do it. Unless you're selling it.

This updating proceedure is something that other tuners companies need their customers to perform due to their software/firmware. The Gryphon firmware has been pretty solid with no changes needed.

If you have custom tunes you have the best already.

Peace!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, June 16th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Double Whopper

actually I was changing my splash screen when out of curiosity I checked to see if there were any firmware updates. I was then informed by pegasus that there was so I decided to upgrade. for some reason pegasus froze and then I managed to get the gryphon to work by selecting custom file download. After that the firmware update worked fine. Gryphon is fine and back in the truck.
Old Wed, June 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

He's right, 88 (as I learned from another member). There HAVE been at least two firmware updates, but they are for minor issues that we don't have and hardly seem to effect anyone. (The last was to correct a checksum problem).

I'm interested though, in one thing, axlehead - when you tried to update the firmware, did it make you update BOTH the firmware AND calibrations? This is the issue three of us have noted previously. In your case, your custom tunes were still on the server, so it didn't matter if you did a calibration update which replaces your custom tunes with canned ones. You got your custom tunes back with the Custom File Download.

I'm fairly certain my custom tunes are not on the server, since mine were done so long ago. I'm worried that the same could be true for other people, so I'm reluctant to tell them to accept the calibration update.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, June 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

On that note, I did tell Bill about the firmware/calibration update questions you had, Jack. He wasn't aware of the problem and I will probably bring it back up one of these days. He's passed out on the couch right now (up all night and until 4PM today).
Old Wed, June 16th, 2010, 07:47 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
On that note, I did tell Bill about the firmware/calibration update questions you had, Jack. He wasn't aware of the problem and I will probably bring it back up one of these days. He's passed out on the couch right now (up all night and until 4PM today).
Thanks, my friend. It seems to revolve around a (functional) update to the "canned" calibrations. The message says the firmware update is not compatible with the (custom) calibrations I have, so, it has to update both. (And, I just checked - the problem is still there).

But then, of course, would the new firmware accept reloading the custom tunes that it didn't seem to like in the update? Because I don't really think Bill has kept my custom tunes on the server (since they're so old - in the past I've not been able to "reload" them), I didn't feel I could test this whole process to see if it was safe for others to try.

The man really needs to get his days and nights sorted out, doesn't he?

- Jack
Old Thu, June 17th, 2010, 12:06 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Thanx Jack for that update.
It's so great that us mods seem to get the table crumbs.
And
I apologize to axelhead also.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, June 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM
Double Whopper

I upgraded both firmware and calibration, but when I selected custom file download it appears to have downgraded the calibration file anyway. As long as I have my tune I am happy. Also it appears the firmware update addressed the issue with not being able to reset AMPG on the 97-03. Also a little off subject does anyone know why the LCD on my gryphon would get dim and flicker at startup? The issue seems to be resolved by unplugging and plugging the gryphon back in, however it generally has to be done every time.
Old Mon, June 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by axlehead View Post
I upgraded both firmware and calibration, but when I selected custom file download it appears to have downgraded the calibration file anyway. As long as I have my tune I am happy. Also it appears the firmware update addressed the issue with not being able to reset AMPG on the 97-03. Also a little off subject does anyone know why the LCD on my gryphon would get dim and flicker at startup? The issue seems to be resolved by unplugging and plugging the gryphon back in, however it generally has to be done every time.
As I recall, pushing the [Up Arrow] causes the backlight to brighten on the Gryphon. Try that next time, rather than "rebooting" it by unplugging the OBDII cable. I think the [Up Arrow] cure causes a permanent change too.

- Jack