Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, June 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Whopper

hydrocarbon302 is on a distinguished road
Default red screen while plugged into usb?

Hello everyone, I got my gryphon for my 6.0 the other day, and wanted to check for updates. When I plug the tunner into the usb port on my laptop I get a solid red screen/buttons. Pegasus doesnt even recognize its plugged in.

Currently on lvl 3 tune...

I'm using a old USB cable I had left over from a old motorola phone I have. think that might be the issue?

thanks
Old Thu, June 17th, 2010, 08:50 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

Are you plugging the Gryphon in before or after starting Pegasus?

I plug in first, then open pegasus, at which time it sees it, gets the drivers going, and the screen on the Gryphon then turns green.

If that's the order you're going in, try reinstalling Pegasus and drivers.

PS, set back to stock when looking for updates.
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Thu, June 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Bacon King

DarkShadowSTX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabrust View Post
Are you plugging the Gryphon in before or after starting Pegasus?

I plug in first, then open pegasus, at which time it sees it, gets the drivers going, and the screen on the Gryphon then turns green.

If that's the order you're going in, try reinstalling Pegasus and drivers.

PS, set back to stock when looking for updates.
X2. You have to be set to stock before connecting to the computer. A usb cable is a usb cable as far as I now so that should not be the problem.
Old Thu, June 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And - you MAY need to reinstall Pegasus. One thing you could do is remove it using Add/Remove, and then do a system restore to get to a point before you installed Pegasus. Another approach is to use a thorough uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller (it's free), to get rid of all traces.

Then, Install AND UPDATE Pegasus to the latest version BEFORE you even look at your Gryphon.

Finally, with Pegasus running, (sorry guys, I think it works best this way), plug the Gryphon (which must be at Level 0) into the PC. The screen will turn red. But then, you should see the "New Hardware" dance. Let it do its thing here - it will take a few minutes. Finally, if everything goes as it's supposed to, the Gryphon screen will turn green and you'll be able to install tunes.

If you can't get to this point, you'll have to call Bill.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, June 18th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Bacon King

I agree with Jack on plugging in the Gryphon with Pegasus running. I've done it both ways and I think it actually recognizes the Gryphon quicker when the program is running.
Old Fri, June 18th, 2010, 06:04 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Like others have posted make sure you're truck is back to stock.

"Check that the USB cable is fully seated, both in the PC port and in the Gryphon's port. There have been instances of it getting enough power to light up, but not enough to connect properly.

Possibly too, some laptops may not supply enough power through the USB port to provide both functions. Try connecting to a different PC with Pegasus installed."

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, June 18th, 2010, 10:11 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Like others have posted make sure you're truck is back to stock.

"Check that the USB cable is fully seated, both in the PC port and in the Gryphon's port. There have been instances of it getting enough power to light up, but not enough to connect properly.

Possibly too, some laptops may not supply enough power through the USB port to provide both functions. Try connecting to a different PC with Pegasus installed."
Excellent point, 88! I keep forgetting that since I always use a desktop, but I have a laptop that doesn't deliver enough USB power to spin an external drive reliably.

- Jack
Old Fri, June 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Bacon King

I didn't know that about a laptop's usb ports. I first tried to upload my tune with a laptop and it said the usb port timed out. If thats true about not enough power, that explains why I had a problem until I went to my desktop.
Old Fri, June 18th, 2010, 09:11 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX View Post
I didn't know that about a laptop's usb ports. I first tried to upload my tune with a laptop and it said the usb port timed out. If thats true about not enough power, that explains why I had a problem until I went to my desktop.
Yup! It IS true. My Averatec notebook will not spin a backup external drive reliably, even with a USB cable that has two source inputs from the computer. But, my tiny little first generation Acer Aspire One Netbook has no trouble at all powering any external device, using just ONE USB connection from its side. And, I always run both of these computers on AC power.

My CTS came with a two input USB cable, but I've never had to use it, since I only connect my Gryphon or my CTS to my desktop. Desktops seem to always provide reliable USB power.

- Jack
Old Mon, June 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
Whopper Junior

sysman_rick is on a distinguished road

Try using a POWERED usb hub. Tiger Direct has a APC powered usb hub for $9.00.