Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Towing

Towing This forum is specifically for questions, comments, or ideas about towing with your vehicle.

Old Wed, July 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I guess it might be possible to back up a double-articulated "train" like you saw Lars, but I'm glad I don't have to try it. Saw a picture recently of a triple-trailer "road train" that's used in Australia for trips into the outback. Wonder if we'll see them on the interstates here.

Yes, you'll have fun in Camping World, TXWolf. If you haven't been there before, DO join the "President's Club". You'll probably save the cost of membership on your first visit when you buy all the goodies you didn't know you needed.

- Jack
Old Wed, July 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I guess it might be possible to back up a double-articulated "train" like you saw Lars, but I'm glad I don't have to try it. Saw a picture recently of a triple-trailer "road train" that's used in Australia for trips into the outback. Wonder if we'll see them on the interstates here.

- Jack
UPS, roadway, old dominion already does the triples up here!
They are shorter trailers to begin with. Up here there are some rules they follow. They have to have long load signage. If any of the following happen they must drop a trailer.
Inclimate weather. Like snow, slush, ice.
Winds over 45 mph.
The milk companies also haul finished products in double full size.
There restriction is 10 mph below posted speed limits and long load signage.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

The most important thing you can do is have fun!!!! Jack where did you buy your leds from?
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Your Mom's favorite :D

Grabber523 is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda thinking take the trailer back for a smaller one! Like a lot of other people said, you are going to be waaaaay over-weight...unless you're running 4.10 gears or lower your brand-new truck is gonna take an @$$-kicking...

My wife and I are looking at boats, and we always have to keep in mind the weight of the boat so we don't over load the truck...with a 6500# max weight on the 3.55 geared screw cabs, it doesn't leave a lot of room to play with...which is why we still haven't found one big enough without being too big for the rig.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FX4 View Post
The most important thing you can do is have fun!!!! Jack where did you buy your leds from?
I got them from SuperBrightLEDs. Here's the link to the "order" page: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...R#1142-PCB-W36

The ones I got were the 1156-PCB-xWHP9 devices (third ones down that page). They have the highest lumen output of all, and my trailer's overhead lighting uses 1156 bulbs. I got the "Warm White" 3100K ones for the living area - they are very bright but and the color is comfortable on the eyes - good for reading. I decided on the "Cool White" ones for the kitchen area. They seem fairly close to a daylight fluorescent color, which I think works pretty well there, but would be hard on the eyes for reading. There's actually a bit for "blending" from the spillover from the warm white lights that "softens" the effect too.

One of the ones I got was faulty. I called them about it and they had me send it back for a replacement and they refunded my shipping cost. I've ordered other bulbs from them for yard lighting and they sell quality products.

- Jack
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Native American Redneck

TXWolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber523 View Post
I'm kinda thinking take the trailer back for a smaller one! Like a lot of other people said, you are going to be waaaaay over-weight...unless you're running 4.10 gears or lower your brand-new truck is gonna take an @$$-kicking...

My wife and I are looking at boats, and we always have to keep in mind the weight of the boat so we don't over load the truck...with a 6500# max weight on the 3.55 geared screw cabs, it doesn't leave a lot of room to play with...which is why we still haven't found one big enough without being too big for the rig.

Good luck and have fun!

Well cr@p, now I'm getting worried about this purchase. I guess one other thing to consider is that our daughter will probably also take her truck when we go to the coast, because we're thinking about getting a golf cart to go back and forth from the beach and the RV park. And we can load a lot of equipment in the back of her truck while we're at it.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the cost of getting the gears changed to 4.10?

2008 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4
5.4L - 4.88 Gears
PHP Gryphon Programmer - BDS 6" Lift - Magnaflow Dual Exhaust - JLT Ram Air Intake - 20" Pacer Ridgeline Rims with 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs Tires - Westin BullBar with Driving Lights
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Randy's ring and pinion for gears. web site. http://www.ringpinion.com/
Make sure you get a reverse cut for the front.
I've heard any where from $900-$1500? For the whole job.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Native American Redneck

This travel trailer is getting more expensive by the minute ...

5.4L - 4.88 Gears
PHP Gryphon Programmer - BDS 6" Lift - Magnaflow Dual Exhaust - JLT Ram Air Intake - 20" Pacer Ridgeline Rims with 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZs Tires - Westin BullBar with Driving Lights
Old Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Bacon King

Desert Racer is on a distinguished road

Just wait untill you hit the road and realize you forgot things. Than it gets more and mroe expensive! In the end as long as everybody is having a good time than that is all that matters. After all it is only money.
Old Fri, July 3rd, 2009, 06:13 AM
Native American Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Racer View Post
Just wait untill you hit the road and realize you forgot things. Than it gets more and mroe expensive! In the end as long as everybody is having a good time than that is all that matters. After all it is only money.
There's always a WalMart around every corner!

5.4L - 4.88 Gears