Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Wed, March 3rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
Whopper

sgg is on a distinguished road
Default What do you think about these tunes?

Here's what I'm thinking of ordering.

1-1100 rpm high idle
2-65 hp tow
3-65 hp daily driver
4-80 hp daily driver
5-100 hp performance
6-140 hp extreme

I use my truck as a daily driver mostly, about 30 miles round trip on mostly 2 lane highway. I tow a 35 foot 5th wheel (about 8000 lbs) 4 to 5 times a year, sometimes in the hills of north GA (usually mild grades, occasionally steep). Do I need the stock setting? Seems like everybody drives in some other program anyway. I do most of the work on my truck myself, not really concerned about service departments. What I can't do myself I get a buddy of mine who's a diesel mechanic to do. What do you think about these settings?
Old Wed, March 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

I would get the 40 tow and drop the 65 tow... you can tow all day in 80 tow on the flatlands just have the 40 if the EGT's get to high on the hills.....
you won't get 140hp out of stock injectors on 1994 to 1997 trucks.... the 100 is a good tune and I used it for a while as a daily driver.... hopefully Cody will jump in on what to really expect from the early PSD setups... changing to different injectors will help for sure
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Wed, March 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Whopper

I already have Stage 1 injectors. Are you saying change 65 tow to 40 tow and use 80 daily driver for towing on flat land?
Old Wed, March 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgg View Post
Here's what I'm thinking of ordering.

1-1100 rpm high idle
2-65 hp tow
3-65 hp daily driver
4-80 hp daily driver
5-100 hp performance
6-140 hp extreme

I use my truck as a daily driver mostly, about 30 miles round trip on mostly 2 lane highway. I tow a 35 foot 5th wheel (about 8000 lbs) 4 to 5 times a year, sometimes in the hills of north GA (usually mild grades, occasionally steep). Do I need the stock setting? Seems like everybody drives in some other program anyway. I do most of the work on my truck myself, not really concerned about service departments. What I can't do myself I get a buddy of mine who's a diesel mechanic to do. What do you think about these settings?
With a 95-97 truck, a stock setting is not really important. I see you have stage 1 injectors so at least you'll be able to get some impressive power out of the truck. In the testing I've done on trucks with a 3" downpipe, it's pretty well safe with stock sticks to push the injectors to max and not worry about EGT (as long as the RPM is kept up). Your lowest choice of 65 HP would be good to start with because you won't have to worry too much about EGT. If you start to get warm, simply downshift!

I don't know if I'd "waste" a position with both a 65 tow and 65 DD. I'd stick with the tow program and either choose something else over 65 DD since you've picked 80 DD as well. You're going to use each one for a minute until you find out that you stay in 80 DD most of the time anyway. Since you have Stage 1 injectors, the tunes will be $60 a piece so I'd recommend you save your money and skip the 65 DD.
Old Wed, March 3rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Whopper

Thanks Cody! Would you change the 65 daily driver to 40 tow, or just leave a position open? If I had to pick just 3 tunes, what do you suggest?
Old Wed, March 3rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Just 3?

High idle, 65 Tow, 100 Perf.

The 140 is going to smoke a lot and anything else will just be a wasted position. If you find that you need more than 3 tunes, you can always send the chip back for a reburn. The nice thing about stage 1 injectors in an older PSD is that you can run them without a chip and they will work just stockers.
Old Thu, March 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Whopper

I didn't realize that stage 1 injectors would call for programming for heavy mods. I guess I was thinking mild mods since I didn't have big oil, turbo mods, etc. That's why I may have to get just 3 tunes for now. If that's what I decide to do, would you go ahead with stock and anti-theft since I have positions open?
Old Thu, March 4th, 2010, 08:47 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

I have found the 100hp to be quite smokey under heavy throttle, the 80 is a lot cleaner. going from 65 to 80 you will not notice much difference... the reason I suggested the 40 tow is it will pull just about anything you need without excessive EGT's I have the 80 dd modified for light towing and fwy towing and it works fine... the trans shift points and duty cycles are a bit different I think but otherwise there is not going to be a lot of difference... get the tow or the DD but not both in the same HP as you are wasting a space.
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Thu, March 4th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Whopper

strokin'_tatsch is on a distinguished road

Bill's tunes aren't going to smoke as much on the 140 as what my TW does and i daily drive in my Extreme tune and keep smoke levels down..

3 tunes i think you'd enjoy are the 40 tow, 100 performance, and 140 Extreme.

with stage 1's nothing is "too smokey" really. they still have stock nozzles and while you might get some decent smoke in the extreme tune if you floor it, you could still drive it in daily tune being easy on the go pedal and it will barely poof at gear changes.
Travis-- Death Row Diesel Inmate #7
1995 Ford F-250 regular cab long bed PSD
MODS- 6637, TE modded 17*, Rosewood 160/80's, Tony's tunes, HPX, 120v IDM, 3" DP to 5" stacks, CPR fuel system, DRD traction bars, ISSPRO EV2's, scan guage, VALAIR full ceramic clutch, Midwest short throw shift kit

381hp/870tq
14.32 @ 97mph

Old Mon, June 14th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Whopper

OK... too much downtime, but I had a cracked bearing housing on the turbo and it was blowing oil into the intake as well as leaking oil. But thanks to Ron @ Ron's Turbo (awesome guy, superb service, knows what he's doing!!!), I've got it back together and installed my Phoenix. I knew it was going to be awesome, but MAN! 65hp Tow is cool. You can feel the extra torque, but it's mild other than the much delayed shift points. 80hp DD is really fun off the line. It blows out a lot of smoke (more than I really wanted) if you floor it off idle, and then takes off hard! 100hp Performance is AWESOME!!! Doesn't take off quite as hard as 80hp DD and not much smoke, but HOLD ON! It sets you back in the seat and doesn't let up as long as you keep the pedal down!!! 90mph in no time, and it still feels like it's just taking off!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING 'BOUT!!! Can't wait to get the 5th wheel behind it & see what that's like! Thanks guys! I don't think I could be more pleased with my setup!